80W-140 SHC Mobil 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 yrs ago I bought a 5 gal bucket of 80w-140 SHC Mobil 1. It was for a low geared 4x4 with detroit lockers recommend by the gear mfg. I've used this gear lube in my regular trucks and I do live in the desert where ambient temp can easily get to over 100F in the summer, especially on the pavement. Then I saw this.
[Linked Image]

Is it this simple? If so then refer all gear lube viscosity questions to this chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot temps = Hot road temps. Which equal hotter differential temps. I think I remember Jim Allen commenting on this, not positive. I know I read it somewhere, had to be here.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Hot temps = Hot road temps. Which equal hotter differential temps.

Frequent rapid acceleration, high speed operation, trailer towing, all will cause a warmer differential at 50F than city driving at 100F.

SENM get's over 100 degrees from late June to end of August. You northern boys just don't understand.
lol.gif

So spicer doesn't know what they are talking about????

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
Hot temps = Hot road temps. Which equal hotter differential temps. I think I remember Jim Allen commenting on this, not positive. I know I read it somewhere, had to be here.

Yes. I had a diff temp gauge in my old Peterbilt and the temp gauge hardly moved when it was cold and/or raining. On a hot day it would go up a lot higher.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Yes. I had a diff temp gauge in my old Peterbilt and the temp gauge hardly moved when it was cold and/or raining. On a hot day it would go up a lot higher.

Is that from heat from the tires, or heat radiating up from the road into the axle housing?

is if this is a reputable chart then you have all the info you need.

Yes oil viscocity grade recommendation varies with ambient temperature.

You can go for a lower VI (= less modifiers) oil If your driving is in warm to high temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back