80 VW Rabbit Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to run anything other than a good additive. I like Diesel Kleen or Standyne lubrication additive. A little TCW-3 won't hurt though if you have some around. Treat the tank with some biocide to kill any algae growing in there and plan on changing the fuel filter a few times till any gunk in the tank clears itself out or drop the tank and clean it.

My friend was a very skilled DIYer. At least he was able to replace them himself. I only recall when he was on his third gasket so I don't know how many times it happened. He got rid of the car and bought my neighbor's Dodge Caravan.

If you ever have to replace the head gasket, don't use the factory stretch bolts. Get a set of Raceware studs. The ones that fit a Chevy Vega, sorry that is all I can remember on them, will work and it really extends the life of the head gaskets.

Here is a cool forum that you can get a ton of info from.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/

I would be a bit concerned with bio damaging the seals in the fuel system.

I would also run some 2 stroke oil with the diesel.

My old Citreon Xantia,1.9 XUD turbo diesel, responded very well to this.

When i had it you could get hold of marine diesel which was not low suplhur, that changed a couple of years ago, and it always sounded happier and was nicer to drive on this full fat Marine diesel.

It always felt slightly flat on low sulphur diesel and this was cured by using 2 stroke, i used the semi synth stuff at the ratio of 1:200.

These old VeeDubs diesels were not known for speed or refinement they were always a bit behind the French diesels at the time but they were very robust.

You are lucky to find one.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
. . . These old VeeDubs diesels were not known for speed or refinement they were always a bit behind the French diesels at the time but they were very robust.

You're right. As much as I generally enjoyed the VW diesel, I very nearly replaced it with a beautiful black Peugeot 505 turbo diesel wagon (estate across the pond). But it slipped through my fingers. One of those cars I regret not enjoying when they were around. Its Achilles was body corrosion, but I could have worked around that.

How much more did a Peugeot 505 cost versus a VW Rabbit/Golf back then? If the price difference was big, I don't think it would be exactly fair to compare engine refinement.

Hey guys, sorry I did not get back to you. My internet was down. Thank you all very much for the advise. I will run an additive, looks like some really good ideas here. I am certainly going to replace the timing belt, that is super cheap considering if it blows up on me! It needs a new water pump, water is pouring out of the weep hole.

As far as pictures, let me get some paint on it now. Sitting out in the sun and rain for years has caused much on the paint to peel, so I'll be sanding and painting soon too.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back