8 years 10 months on original OEM battery? (12 Toyota Tacoma)

Yesterday my Toyota 24F 582 CCA battery went dead on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 2.7L MT. I jumped it and it barely rolled over but started and I let it run about 10 minutes. After 24hrs I went back out to see if vehicle would start. Nope, dead. Removed the old battery and cleaned up all the terminals and battery tray area for a new battery. I checked the date on the battery since for the life of me I don't ever remember replacing it or can find a replacement invoice (and I'm anal about vehicle records). I found a code of the front of the battery: 111024 2222Y. Could this be October 10, 2011? My vehicle data plate says manufacturing date 11/11. I purchased new from dealer November 18, 2011. And again for the life of me I don't remember ever replacing original battery even though I thought I did "possibly" in 2015/16? Go figure....

I live in Northern Ohio on Lake Erie where we experience severe winters to blazing hot summers like 2020. Now I'm debating which battery to purchase. I'm leaning towards an Interstate 24F, but if a OEM Toyota lasted this long I might as well buy another. Just thinking out loud.

See this video. Look for the series of numbers on the side. first number is the year. Next to it is the letter that corresponds to the month, omitting "I" because its confused with 1.

Could they make the battery, ship it to the assembly plant and install in a month? maybe. Could they assemble the vehicle in Texas, put it on a train, unload it in an Ohio yard, deliver to the dealer, prep it and hand the keys to you in a week? Sounds implausible.

BTW is the battery in the engine compartment or under the seat? Batteries that last a long time seem to be those that are away from engine heat.

I think my 2010 Tundra has its OEM battery still--I certainly have not replaced it in the 7 years I have owned it. 3 or so years ago I found it at 9V for no good reason, quick jump and it hasn't missed a beat yet. I figure, it'll just suddenly die one of these days, but for some reason I've been reluctant to bother with replacing--if it's important, I can swap it in minutes from another vehicle.

YMMV but I get my batteries from Walmart. They might not last the longest but the price is ok and the availability is right up there. I'm not sure if the dealer gets the same quality Panasonic batteries or not--and at this age I'm not sure if it is worth the extra coin or not.

Toyota batteries on made in Japan cars are Panasonic. Ours lasted 10 years. I don't think you can buy them in the U S A.

If you haven't already bought a new battery, then you might be in for a bit of a surprise. On my '15 Tacoma, I found out that the factory battery is actually a non-standard size and is around 1 inch shorter than a BCI size 24. The battery hold down clamp is tailor made for this size which means ANY size 24 battery off the shelf will be too tall to be used with that mount. I had to modify the stock mount and then buy a longer j-bolt in order to secure the new battery I bought (Duracell from Sams).

Not sure if this was only done on the 15s or maybe it's done at the distributor port of entry (mine was Southeast Toyota)..

See this video. Look for the series of numbers on the side. first number is the year. Next to it is the letter that corresponds to the month, omitting "I" because its confused with 1.

Could they make the battery, ship it to the assembly plant and install in a month? maybe. Could they assemble the vehicle in Texas, put it on a train, unload it in an Ohio yard, deliver to the dealer, prep it and hand the keys to you in a week? Sounds implausible.

BTW is the battery in the engine compartment or under the seat? Batteries that last a long time seem to be those that are away from engine heat.

On top of my battery in small letters in corner is: 1K26A54

On front of battery etched kind of sloppy near top like in video is: 1K23CY1A

Is this November 2011? No sticker on battery. Battery located under hood.

If you haven't already bought a new battery, then you might be in for a bit of a surprise. On my '15 Tacoma, I found out that the factory battery is actually a non-standard size and is around 1 inch shorter than a BCI size 24. The battery hold down clamp is tailor made for this size which means ANY size 24 battery off the shelf will be too tall to be used with that mount. I had to modify the stock mount and then buy a longer j-bolt in order to secure the new battery I bought (Duracell from Sams).

Not sure if this was only done on the 15s or maybe it's done at the distributor port of entry (mine was Southeast Toyota)..
The Interstate MT-24F is almost an exact fit to my 2012 Tacoma. Width & Length almost identical. Height is 1/2" higher but no big deal since J hook has some wiggle room......

On top of my battery in small letters in corner is: 1K26A54

On front of battery etched kind of sloppy near top like in video is: 1K23CY1A

Is this November 2011? No sticker on battery. Battery located under hood.
It is October. "i' isn't used.

Back