8 year old house - stuff is starting to fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 years seems to be the failure point for a lot of stuff in my house. In the last 6 months I've had to repair the following applicances bought when the house was new:

- Side by Side Refrigerator - Controller board (twice in 3 months), Ice Actuator door, Crushed/cube ice selector solenoid;

- Dryer (pre-dates the house by 5 years) - High limit switch stuck open. Main fuse and limit switch replaced

- Furnace 1 - Electric motor failed - replaced

- Furnace 1 - High limit switch failed - replaced

- Diswasher - Wiring harness abraded at door (the way it was designed, this was gauranteed to happen). The design had the wire harness rubbing against a sheet-metal "knife" every time the door is opened. Horribly negligent manufacture. 7 of 15 wires (carrying 120v AC shorting/welding to a fully stainless steel door). A 5 cent plastic sheath (as found elsewhere in non-critical places inside the door) would have prevented this. Wires replaced, new controller board and LED display board.

- BenQ Monitor - Shuts off after 3 seconds. Transistors for inverter known to fail. Ordered new ones on ebay and will replace when delivered.

- Front step and driveway (ground underneath settling and will need to have cement pumped underneath to repair).

I've diagnosed and completed all of these repairs with the exception of the first fridge control board repair (and I'll have to get the concrete work done).

I've learned a couple of things. First, major appliances are really easy to repair with a little electrical knowledge and a multimeter (usually just the continuity tester, the voltage tester and sometimes the ohmeter). Not to mention the internet, as most appliance failures can be diagnose with good accuracy by knowing how to do a google search. You can find articles on your specific model's common failure points and how to diagnose/fix. You can even find factory troubleshooting guides for your model written for the repair technician. I've saved a ton of money and have enjoyed (sometimes) doing the repairs.

"Durable Goods" means goods that will last about 7 years unfortunately in this day and age. It's a real shame.

Refrigerators are not built to last more than five years. Your lucky. If you want one that lasts get one built in the 50's or 60's.

My folks had their fridge fixed 3 times in six months. They got tired of it and just bought a new one.

The repair man that came out told stories about expensive repairs to simple products. His favorite story was about older refrigerators. Back in the day they had their compressor and moving parts in a box on top of the machine so that they could get plenty of circulation and stay away from the parts that needed to say cold.
All the issues that we have today are due to cramming the same equipment under the fridge in a compact place where it clogs with dust bunnies and never gets enough air so it has to work longer.

Give it some time someone will come up with the "Green Refrigerator" where all the parts are located on top with plenty of circulation and due to this the parts will not have to work as hard and it will be a "greener" solution to what is currently out there.

Nothing is made like it used to be unfortunately. My gf`s parents have a fridge that was made in the 50s that belonged to her dad`s dad. They still use it and it works flawlessly. They keep it outside to store extra meats and things.

I've lived in my house for 19 years with the same modest appliances. The appliances have been either trouble-free or easy to fix (no electronics). I have no use for fancy appliances.

+1 Use to be, when something quit working, you took your meter and found a bad relay or something and replaced it. Now, you inhale deeply and buy a new circuit board or take a nitro glycerin pill and pay the technician to do it.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I've lived in my house for 19 years with the same modest appliances. The appliances have been either trouble-free or easy to fix (no electronics). I have no use for fancy appliances.

+1 Its hard to find new appliances without some electronics these days. Every once in a while we take the bottom grill off our fridge and vacuum out all the dust bunnies, so hopefully it lasts 20+ years.

Originally Posted By: labman
+1 Use to be, when something quit working, you took your meter and found a bad relay or something and replaced it. Now, you inhale deeply and buy a new circuit board or take a nitro glycerin pill and pay the technician to do it.

it's extra for the lube
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
My folks had their fridge fixed 3 times in six months. They got tired of it and just bought a new one.

The repair man that came out told stories about expensive repairs to simple products. His favorite story was about older refrigerators. Back in the day they had their compressor and moving parts in a box on top of the machine so that they could get plenty of circulation and stay away from the parts that needed to say cold.
All the issues that we have today are due to cramming the same equipment under the fridge in a compact place where it clogs with dust bunnies and never gets enough air so it has to work longer.

Give it some time someone will come up with the "Green Refrigerator" where all the parts are located on top with plenty of circulation and due to this the parts will not have to work as hard and it will be a "greener" solution to what is currently out there.

Not to mention the fact that the hot air the blows out of the bottom of the fridge causes your hardwood floors to dehydrate and shrink causing gaps between the hardwood in front of the fridge.

Things just aren't like they use to be. I often watch how they are building new houses around our city lately. Materials seem cheap and the frames don't look as stout as older houses and they are built way too fast. Lot of cosmetics. That's why I won't buy a house older than mid-80's.

Last edited:
My parents have a 1950's refigerator (GE, I think) and a 1960's Kelvinator Full size upright freezer in their basement. Both have been running constantly for decades, except for when they had to be defrosted. Not one single problem with either one. They had a Maytag washer and gas dryer set from the 1960's that lasted until the early 1990's. They truly don't make them like they used to. I think part of the problem is there might be too much competition. Yeah, it sounds backwards. These old school brands made great products years ago, but because they had too much competition from some of these newer brands, they had to cut corners to stay competitive price-wise. This lead to lower quality in my opinion, and things just don't last as long as they used to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Things just aren't like they use to be. I often watch how they are building new houses around our city lately. Materials seem cheap and the frames don't look as stout as older houses and they are built way too fast. Lot of cosmetics. That's why I won't buy a house older than mid-80's.

I'm no construction expert, but I don't like the lack of steel beams used in the floors of newer houses either. They have wooden planks instead. It just seems cheaper. My parent's house, built in 1954 has a large steel beam going from one side of the foundation to the other to support the floor.

That 1950s power hog was wasted enough electricity to pay for an more efficient fridge. It's not as bad as a 1970s power consumption be [censored] self defrost fridge though.

Last edited:
New homes can be money pits just like older ones.

Don't buy anything from "Keystone/KBRG". The attention to detail is well, lacking, to be ultra polite.

In '07, I replaced my well tank, in 08, the water heater, dish washer, washer and drier. While I was at it, I replaced all the shut offs with ball valves. I enjoy plumbing, I have very few tools, but I don't need many for 1/2" copper.

i have a fridgidaire(sp?) fridge from the 50's that still works perfectly. it even has the stainless steel latch on the door.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

A lot of the new houses around here have really cheap construction. They will be HUGE, 3000+ sq foot, but have horrible quality. Walls/floors/ceilings are not always square, they use cheap windows and doors, cheap plumbing fixtures, etc. It's like all that matters is having a ton of heated living space. My house was built in 1987. Quality is not great, but it does have finished solid wood doors, finished wood crown molding and baseboards, everything is square and even, etc. We actually have a deck too, rather than the concrete slab you get with the typical thrown together mini McMansion around here.

Originally Posted By: willix
Refrigerators are not built to last more than five years. Your lucky. If you want one that lasts get one built in the 50's or 60's.

Amen to that. My grandfather still has his ancient GE fridge from like 72'. It still cools and freezes perfectly and the compressor just purrs away like a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back