8,918 Miles on Coolant Filter for 6.0 Power Stroke

Molybdate is part of the equation, but mainly it's a couple of the organic acids in the formulation...benzoic and sebacic. Those are both designed to protect iron and aluminum components.
Found it! Thanks for this information. I'll have to cross reference the wix coolant filter to see if fleet-guard has an equivalent. Cummings has done a decent job at accommodating different markets. I see that the rv builders are starting to put in the 6.7L in the motor home's now.

Found it! Thanks for this information. I'll have to cross reference the wix coolant filter to see if fleet-guard has an equivalent. Cummings has done a decent job at accommodating different markets. I see that the rv builders are starting to put in the 6.7L in the motor home's now.
There are quite a few coolant filter part numbers from Fleetguard...some chemical, some non-chemical with different media types (cellulose or StrataPore melt-blown synthetic). The nice thing about ES Compleat OAT coolant is you don't need to worry about adding SCAs ever, meaning no need for chemical coolant filters...always use a blank filter with OAT.

There are quite a few coolant filter part numbers from Fleetguard...some chemical, some non-chemical with different media types (cellulose or StrataPore melt-blown synthetic). The nice thing about ES Compleat OAT coolant is you don't need to worry about adding SCAs ever, meaning no need for chemical coolant filters...always use a blank filter with OAT.
Absolutely! I do not & will not run a chemical loaded filter. Just a standard filter for cleaning. Do you all have a mileage recommendation for the cellulose change interval. (How long we can run it before changing it out). After seeing this wix cellulose filter I think I might be able to get away with doubling the mileage. Wix I think is 50% @27 Microns so no clogging is going to happen when it's coming out this clean. Do you know what efficiency or micron on the fleetguard coolant filters are? Is there a different rating on the synthetic? I'm just curious so answer as you wish.

Absolutely! I do not & will not run a chemical loaded filter. Just a standard filter for cleaning. Do you all have a mileage recommendation for the cellulose change interval. (How long we can run it before changing it out). After seeing this wix cellulose filter I think I might be able to get away with doubling the mileage. Wix I think is 50% @27 Microns so no clogging is going to happen when it's coming out this clean. Do you know what efficiency or micron on the fleetguard coolant filters are? Is there a different rating on the synthetic? I'm just curious so answer as you wish.
If you check out this PDF, scroll down to pages 5 & 6 where the filters are: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT15108NA_CoolantBrochure-11-10-2021.pdf

For standard service filters with cellulose media, they are designed to last up to 75,000 miles. For extended service filters with our StrataPore melt-blown synthetic media, those are rated for up to 150,000 miles. Looks like the cellulose filters are 95% efficient at 60 microns. Having trouble finding the efficiencies for those StrataPore versions, but I'll report back.

If you check out this PDF, scroll down to pages 5 & 6 where the filters are: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT15108NA_CoolantBrochure-11-10-2021.pdf

For standard service filters with cellulose media, they are designed to last up to 75,000 miles. For extended service filters with our StrataPore melt-blown synthetic media, those are rated for up to 150,000 miles. Looks like the cellulose filters are 95% efficient at 60 microns. Having trouble finding the efficiencies for those StrataPore versions, but I'll report back.
Wow That's a lot of mile's! For my truck time would get the filter before the mileage so a synthetic filter would hold up for longer. It looks like the cross reference to the wix is Fleetguard WF2077. I'll pick up one of these or the WF2122 Extended the next change out. I appreciate the info you've been able to provide & the efficiency of those synthetics would be great info to share.

Ford's Gold will not meet International's heavy duty diesel B-1 spec.
Exactly! International made the engine and they never used G-05 (Ford Gold) in them. I think a lot of the issues with blown EGR coolers would have been eliminated had Ford used a EC-1 rated coolant in the 6.0. You made the right choice using Final Charge coolant. I know a lot of members here love G-05 but I wont use it or recommend it having seen first hand the mess is makes in a 6.0

I work for Fleetguard, so not necessarily a user but very familiar with coolant. The best coolant we have is ES Compleat OAT...it's Nitrite, Amine, Phosphate and Silicate free. Our NOAT coolant was basically formulated so we could sell to CAT customers that were adamant about a Nitrited OAT coolant.
Does the ES Compleat OAT contain 2 ethylhexanoic acid?

Wow That's a lot of mile's! For my truck time would get the filter before the mileage so a synthetic filter would hold up for longer. It looks like the cross reference to the wix is Fleetguard WF2077. I'll pick up one of these or the WF2122 Extended the next change out. I appreciate the info you've been able to provide & the efficiency of those synthetics would be great info to share.
The synthetic water filters are apparently 95% @ 40 microns.

That filter looks great. I installed a coolant filter on a Ford 4.6 that hadn't had the coolant changed in 19 years. New hoses, total flush for an hour, new water pump, new coolant reservoir, etc. Got it all clean flowing and plugged the filter the first 20 minutes it was running...

Those idi's had some cavitation issues so I'm sure your filter was nasty. 250k nice! you give me hope for my 6.0 ha ha. what is the year & GVWR of your 450?

This is what I ran in my 7.3 (non idi). SCA's already added & a top up w/sca after 30,000 I thought I remember it meeting ford spec too,
View attachment 77254
The 7.3 is an ‘89 (although it has a Ford factory reconditioned sticker on a valve cover), believe the GVWR is somewhere in the 13K range (original sticker lost in the cab replacement). Running IAT green coolant, distilled, & DCA2 Napa Kool additive with a collection of old surplus coolant filters, some containing DCA2, some blank (depending on what the test strips say when I change filters). The cooling system was neglected when I bought it, fortunately boiling out the radiator & a new MC ‘stat helped with cooling, and fairly massive amounts of silicate drop-out has been caught by the filters. The bottom tank of the radiator was half full of silicate when I bought it! Amazingly leaks ZERO coolant-but leaks oil from everywhere on the bottom of the engine, RMS & oil cooler mostly.

Seems archaic, but I run mine in series with the heater core, with a valve & bypass to close off the heater core in summer. When the heat stops, or the return line stays cold, time to change it. Only happened the first time, never since.

Also-Final Charge is DEFINITELY a the one to run, with a blank cooling filter-lasts virtually forever, available almost anywhere in a pinch, can even be “restored” if necessary (unless you drive the wheels off it won’t). Use 50/50 or distilled water, your cooling system will be GTG. The TorqShift is a great transmission too, that’s what did in the ‘04 E-350, lost reverse. Still pulled like a locomotive forwards, though!

Also-Final Charge is DEFINITELY a the one to run, with a blank cooling filter-lasts virtually forever, available almost anywhere in a pinch, can even be “restored” if necessary (unless you drive the wheels off it won’t). Use 50/50 or distilled water, your cooling system will be GTG. The TorqShift is a great transmission too, that’s what did in the ‘04 E-350, lost reverse. Still pulled like a locomotive forwards, though!
The 7.3 is an ‘89 (although it has a Ford factory reconditioned sticker on a valve cover), believe the GVWR is somewhere in the 13K range (original sticker lost in the cab replacement). Running IAT green coolant, distilled, & DCA2 Napa Kool additive with a collection of old surplus coolant filters, some containing DCA2, some blank (depending on what the test strips say when I change filters). The cooling system was neglected when I bought it, fortunately boiling out the radiator & a new MC ‘stat helped with cooling, and fairly massive amounts of silicate drop-out has been caught by the filters. The bottom tank of the radiator was half full of silicate when I bought it! Amazingly leaks ZERO coolant-but leaks oil from everywhere on the bottom of the engine, RMS & oil cooler mostly.
I buy the Great Value Distilled Water from wally ha ha & 50/50 ratio. Interesting... 13k range was quite a lot for the day! That's what my F350 is rated at an even 13k. The torqshift was definitely an upgrade to the previous e40d. My 95' PSD had another tag too. A 1997 motor on the valve cover so it was replaced early under warranty I'm sure. All my trucks have leaked oil somewhere..seems to come standard but as long as were checking the level & it isn't blowing out 1/2 gallon in 500 miles we should be good.

Sounds like you've done an excellent job keeping that ol beast on the road for a bit longer. keep it up!

Back