8,918 Miles on Coolant Filter for 6.0 Power Stroke

2007 F-350-Oil cooler & EGR cooler have been replaced right before I bought it. I did 4-5 coolant flushes first & then installed a Mishimoto Coolant filter kit. This is my first filter used & went 8,918 miles. It looks fantastic!

IMG_20200525_170827.jpg
IMG_20211106_160225.jpg

IMG_20211106_160236.jpg

IMG_20211106_160358.jpg

IMG_20211106_160219.jpg

Clue me in...I'm up for learning something new today. What goes on inside a cooling system that warrants a filter?
Absolutely! The 6.0 power stroke has an oil cooler & egr cooler on it. Antifreeze flows thought these two components to cool the oil (oil cooler) & cool the re-routed exhaust (egr cooler cools incoming exhuast to reburn(Emissions). These components have little radiator like channels & they were known to clog the oil cooler then causing the egr to overheat & eventually blow out (6.0 bad rap).
The ford gold coolant is not up to the task of these extreme heat. International (Builder of this engine) used oat tech coolant that was much more resistive to breakdown. Iron particles, neglect of these coolant systems etc, would for sure get your system clogged in no time. This truck lasted to about 70,000 before the situation arrived (Blew EGR Cooler). Ford dealers & others know that when that happens you must change the oil cooler too. It is better to run an HD Long Life OAT technology coolant in these & run a coolant filter to prevent or limit an oil cooler clogging up and having the cascading effect on the cooling system.

International has since updated the oil cooler to have another channel row in the oil cooler & I'm not sure if there was any updates on the EGR cooler to minimize these issues. A Coolant filter is the best option along with HD coolant & flushes to maintain this cooling system on these trucks.

Oil cooler goes below the filter housing in this image. I know a lot of people don't hear this much but we are well aware of the issues on these motors & there are now fixes for them to be reliable. Even with these drawbacks, I knew all of this going in & that's why I picked this truck up for $17k with 75,000 miles on it with all of the cooling system replaced already. I love my 6.0l ha ha
6.0-power-stroke-egr-system.jpg

Wow....big job for a cooling system. Like I've always thought, especially living in Siberia (Wyoming), diesels are a commitment.

Thanks for the learnin'!

And when you move to the 6.7 PSD you have no cooling system filer but two complete cooling system to service.

What about using Motorcraft Yellow in the Ford 6.0 PSD?

Wow....big job for a cooling system. Like I've always thought, especially living in Siberia (Wyoming), diesels are a commitment.

Thanks for the learnin'!
going to run it until it does no more. Wyoming is where I hear a few people once in a while wanting to move to. New coolant filter installed, Cleaned (Sanded the Wheels), ready to shuttle me & the wife down to Texas for the winter. Kid's moved out & life is good!
IMG_20211110_094720.jpg

And when you move to the 6.7 PSD you have no cooling system filer but two complete cooling system to service.

What about using Motorcraft Yellow in the Ford 6.0 PSD?
We might be talking about the same coolant? Whatever Ford Recommends for the 6.0 is what I'm referring to. I think they went to a different color for the 6.7L. I had no idea about the 2 different coolings on the 6.7L. I have to wait for 15-20 years before I move to a "Used" 6.7L but I'm thinking they will go down in history similar to the 7.3L or better. Ford didn't want to screw anything up again after the 6.0 - 6.4.

We might be talking about the same coolant? Whatever Ford Recommends for the 6.0 is what I'm referring to. I think they went to a different color for the 6.7L. I had no idea about the 2 different coolings on the 6.7L. I have to wait for 15-20 years before I move to a "Used" 6.7L but I'm thinking they will go down in history similar to the 7.3L or better. Ford didn't want to screw anything up again after the 6.0 - 6.4.
Ford went to Motorcraft orange for the 6.7 PSD. Then recently to the Motorcraft yellow which is backward compatible and if you completely drain and refill with yellow you no longer need to test the coolant.

Ford went to Motorcraft orange for the 6.7 PSD. Then recently to the Motorcraft yellow which is backward compatible and if you completely drain and refill with yellow you no longer need to test the coolant.
Ok, the Gold was for sure for the 6.0L. It sounds like the Yellow might be up to the latest demands (10yrs 200,000 miles). I just brought this up doing a search... Motorcraft Yellow

This is what I run now.. Nitrate Free OAT
12093185_pek_fxab53_pri_larg.jpg

Does it meet the Ford spec for coolant for a PSD?
Not that I'm aware of... It is usually recommended to find a Cat-EC1 specification as they had a solid cooling test standard of the day. Ford has shown they are not happy with what they have & we're seeing the different flavors of the rainbow in their coolant selection now. My truck is well out of warranty.

That coolant filter looks cleaner than the one on my F-450 the DAY I INSTALLED IT! Unfortunately, my old school 7.3 IDI has to keep running green IAT & SCAs, something about incompatible front cover gaskets. Whatever you're doing, it's working, that looks a lot cleaner than the 6.0 PSD van I used to have, which had multiple Gold changes in the 250K I had it.

Not that I'm aware of... It is usually recommended to find a Cat-EC1 specification as they had a solid cooling test standard of the day. Ford has shown they are not happy with what they have & we're seeing the different flavors of the rainbow in their coolant selection now. My truck is well out of warranty.
If you're looking for another CAT EC-1 spec coolant, check out Fleetguard ES Compleat NOAT...it's our million mile Nitrite OAT coolant.

That coolant filter looks cleaner than the one on my F-450 the DAY I INSTALLED IT! Unfortunately, my old school 7.3 IDI has to keep running green IAT & SCAs, something about incompatible front cover gaskets. Whatever you're doing, it's working, that looks a lot cleaner than the 6.0 PSD van I used to have, which had multiple Gold changes in the 250K I had it.
Those idi's had some cavitation issues so I'm sure your filter was nasty. 250k nice! you give me hope for my 6.0 ha ha. what is the year & GVWR of your 450?

This is what I ran in my 7.3 (non idi). SCA's already added & a top up w/sca after 30,000 I thought I remember it meeting ford spec too,
Peak-Fleet-Charge-5050-Pink.jpg

If you're looking for another CAT EC-1 spec coolant, check out Fleetguard ES Compleat NOAT...it's our million mile Nitrite OAT coolant.
Thanks for the suggestions. The Peak claims 1 mill now too. I see it's a nitrated version. I;ve chosen to not use a nitrated versions b/c of the heat sensitivity they have Nitrite vs nitrite Free In a truck like mine I may never see a difference like an otr vehicle would but it's something on my mind. Is this what you run?

Thanks for the suggestions. The Peak claims 1 mill now too. I see it's a nitrated version. I;ve chosen to not use a nitrated versions b/c of the heat sensitivity they have Nitrite vs nitrite Free In a truck like mine I may never see a difference like an otr vehicle would but it's something on my mind. Is this what you run?
I work for Fleetguard, so not necessarily a user but very familiar with coolant. The best coolant we have is ES Compleat OAT...it's Nitrite, Amine, Phosphate and Silicate free. Our NOAT coolant was basically formulated so we could sell to CAT customers that were adamant about a Nitrited OAT coolant.

I work for Fleetguard, so not necessarily a user but very familiar with coolant. The best coolant we have is ES Compleat OAT...it's Nitrite, Amine, Phosphate and Silicate free. Our NOAT coolant was basically formulated so we could sell to CAT customers that were adamant about a Nitrited OAT coolant.
Can you tell me what is your cavitation prevention ingredient is in your Nitrate Free version? molybdate?

Can you tell me what is your cavitation prevention ingredient is in your Nitrate Free version? molybdate?
Molybdate is part of the equation, but mainly it's a couple of the organic acids in the formulation...benzoic and sebacic. Those are both designed to protect iron and aluminum components.

Back