8.5GB dvd-R / dvd-shrink / DL question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually burn dvds using dvd shrink using auto compression, and 4.7 GB regular dvd-R media.

Now, however, i have a dvd (music videos) which i want to burn 1:1 with NO compression, which means I need 8.5 GB dvd-R media.
all the 8.5GB dvd-R meadia that I see say Dual-layer on them. Now, my dvd-burner (Lenovo laptop) is NOT a dual layer burner.

question: Can I still use the single sided 8.5 GB dvd-R to burn the dvd w/out compression, and using my dvd burner?
(= are the 8.5GB DL dvd-R compatible with a non-DL burner?)

This is the media I'm talking about:
dvd-R Dual layer single sided

or: are there 8.5GB dvd media that's not DL ( I don't think so)?

Thanks.

The description says '# Largest compatible DVD back-up and data archiving format for computer drives ' so it may be compatible with your DVD -R writer. This is the first time I am hearing about 8.5 gig DVD-R disks. I didn't know they existed. But at $5.00 each, they seem expensive.

I stand corrected. It is a Dual Layer DVD disk. You will need a dual layer DVD burner.

At first I thought it was a single layer but high capacity disk.

Thanks cicvicfan.
I guess I'll just have to have them compressed then...really doesn't matter though: I have pretty good a/v ears and eyes, and I can hardly tell the difference betw the dvd shrink copy and the original most of them time, using the deep pre-scan/analysis option on the software. Funnily enough the only time I see a pic quality difference is when the blue FBI warning screen is show prior to the movie begins...have to really try hard to see that, though.

This dvd is only 36 min long...perhaps it will fit onto a 4.7GB SL disk w/out compression? I'll just have to try and see.

that file should fit fine w/o compression. If you can look at the VOBs you'll see how many 1 GB VOBs there are.

There's a max bitrate in the DVD standard, I think it's 10- or 11,000 mbits /sec which if you do the math fills a 4.5 GB DVD in around an hour.

videohelp.com will have your answer.

I DO have a Dual Layer burner, itlooks like !!!
I don't know whay I never noticed it...the disc tray doesn't have "dual layer" printed anywhere...
I just checked info on my hardware with PC doctor, and according to this screen shot (s. below), and the info on my optical drive, it looks like it does have DL capability, doesn't it?
see at the end of lines "readable media" and "writable media", it says "DVD+R DL":
screenshot-dvd.jpg

Now that I'm happy about my dvd burner in the laptop ( a toshiba I think) being really a DL burner, I'm wondering why DVD+R dl is mentioned and not DVD-R dl disks...my pioneer dvd player plays almost any type of discs, so this actually should not be a prob...
still curious why the more prevalent dvd-R is not supported by the burner...

I think DVD+R DL is a more popular format. I bought some Dynamark dual layer disks from Best Buy for $9.99 for 5 disks and they work good in my Samsung burner. I was able to copy an entire DVD without compression and it worked just fine in both of my DVD players.

The only difference with a double sided disk is that you would have to flip it over to burn or read the other side. Some DVDs have widescreen on 1 side and fullscreen on the other side.

The most common consumer dvd recordable is the dvd-r or dvd+R.

These hold 4.7GB.

The dvd+R DL is dual layer, and requires a newer dvd burner to write to this medium. These are 8.5gb.

If you have a laptop, then just shop around at newegg, and pickup a desktop ide dvd DL burner, and a usb 2.0 external drive enclosure, or firewire.

Plug it into your laptop and use it like that.

Or, you can buy a DL laptop optical drive, and install that in your machine.

JustinH,
look at my screenshot a few posts above:
I "thought" I didn't have a DL burner when I started the thread, but according to the hardware info of my dvd burner as seen in that screenshot, I DO have a DL burner in my laptop:
on the hardware info window for my laptop, see at the end of lines "readable media" and "writable media", it says "DVD+R DL":

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back