$8.00 tool everyone needs for their Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

This is a tool that you need but would never think about it unless someone pointed out the benefits.
Saw one of the guys from the company next door with the hood up and grill out of one of the trucks and was using a fin straightening tool on the condenser. I ask does that help that much and he said he11 yes. Being he works on commercial AC units everyday I figured he knew what he was talking about. He told me it can effect the efficiency depending how bad the cooling fin damage, and dirt and road garbage build up is, close to 30% to 40%.
Better air flow means better heat transfer.
So yesterday after work I popped the hood and pulled out the grill (2 clips). I couldn't believe what I saw. A lot of the aluminum fins on my AC condenser are bent and crushed from the usual road debris and small stones that slam into it at speed.
Went over and asked where I could pick up a fin straightening tool. They offered to lend me one to use but I was more interested in owning my own. They sent me down to a local AC/Heating Wholesaler for it.
Less than $8.00 for the kit. Tool handle and 7 attachments for various spaced fins in a plastic tube.
Since we are looking at a hot summer around me, I'll be cleaning the garbage out and straightening the fins on the AC Condenser, Radiator and Intercooler tomorrow morning before work.

I go one better -- I've installed 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the condenser on cars that have an open grille design. This is the only 'mod' I do to my cars.

The roads in the city are full of road debris. Nearly everyone gets stone chips on their windshield. Now imagine the kind of trauma that goes on closer to the road surface! Besides bending fins, a good hit can puncture the condenser. And we know how much that would cost to fix!

I install the hardware cloth so it stands at least an inch off the condenser to take the hits. I urge everyone with bent fin problems to do the same.

I remember spending hours straightening the tranny cooler on my Cherokee with a puty knife.
grin.gif
Right after that I drove through a large pile of boulders and a ditch, turning the cooler into a wad of aluminum foil.
dunno.gif

This tool would be great for baseboard heat at home that's gotten warped, has fins touching, and clicks from the expansion/contraction all night.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Kestas, would 1/8" hardware cloth be to fine for this application?

1/4 is a good combination of sterength and ecent air flow. 1/8 will either have a lot more air resistance if the wire is the same diameter, or less strength if the wire is smaller.

That said, some people get away with using regular window screen, but it doesn't give as much protection and is more restrictive.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
This tool would be great for baseboard heat at home that's gotten warped, has fins touching, and clicks from the expansion/contraction all night.

On Ask This Old House recently they dealt with a clicking baseboard system. They basically went through and covered the pipe at all the support points to allow it to slide without making noise. I remember sheet lead being one of the materials he used. There were some others, but basically anything that will cover the pipe and allow it to slide, while withstanding the heat would work.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I go one better -- I've installed 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the condenser on cars that have an open grille design. This is the only 'mod' I do to my cars.

The roads in the city are full of road debris. Nearly everyone gets stone chips on their windshield. Now imagine the kind of trauma that goes on closer to the road surface! Besides bending fins, a good hit can puncture the condenser. And we know how much that would cost to fix!

I install the hardware cloth so it stands at least an inch off the condenser to take the hits. I urge everyone with bent fin problems to do the same.

Pics?

I bought a set (they come with different heads, different number of teeth per inch) a couple of years ago that we use regularly on the vehicles and the office AC.
I have wire window screen in in front of a couple of my pickup radiators. Also handy in keeping out bugs, butterfiles, etc.

It's $2.49 on sale through June 28 for their "Father's Day " Sale. Flyer came in the mail and also available when you walk in their stores.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I've installed 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the condenser on cars that have an open grille design...

I have similar mod for Bugs on my truck. I cut a piece of bug Screen to fit the behind the grill. It has Velcro "loops" sewn on the edges of the screen and "hooks" glued to the back of the grill. In the summer I remove the grill and clean the screen whenever it starts to load of with bugs. Keeps the condensor, radiator, and intercooler nice and clean.

smile.gif

[ June 20, 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Bill Plock ]

I just ordered mine from harbor freight. be advised they charge a $6 HANDLING fee in addition to shipping, so look around for other stuff you want. I got a battery terminal brush and a brake caliper compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back