7th season with my mower

I bought this Husqvarna mower in spring 2016 from Lowes for $300. I just finished the 7th mowing season with it and it still runs strong. After every season I replace the oil, air filter, and spark plug. I then run it until the gas tank is empty and it stalls. I then wash it and put it away for the winter.

I know this isn’t a real Husqvarna product like their chainsaws. It’s just a basic mower painted orange with a B&S engine on it. As soon as Lowes bought the Craftsman naming rights these generic Husky mowers disappeared from Lowes. I had a very hard time finding a new blade a few years ago for it. I found one online from a small mower shop in Pennsylvania. I keep telling myself that the current year will be the last year I will be using this, but nothing breaks on it. The AWD still works year after year. I have a 9,000 sq ft yard.
I’m thinking about just buying a Honda before the production stops next year and keep it in standby.

FBD78F42-03B6-4A53-947F-A3CEE0C47C3C.jpeg

Cool!
My Lawn Boy went 20 seasons, and my Honda HR215 went 24 seasons. Changed the oil on the Honda every couple years......that's it for maintenance.
Get back to us later. ;)

I have a Toro Recycler that I bought back in 1997 for like $330.00 and this was the model with the Aluminum Deck. I have used this to mow a bunch of small yards when I made some money on the side and now at my house it is still going strong. So when your mower is as old as mine is, which will be 2042 or so, please check back here and let us know how everything is going?

I'm glad this Husqvarna mower has treated you well. I purchased a Husqvarna ride-on lawn mower around the same time with a B&S engine. It has 100 hours on it and it's basically shot. The engine is surging (gas is fine), the electric starter went (battery is fine), the transmission is grinding and won't go into reverse, and the deck is squeaky and seems to be weakened and flexing excessively over bumps. The thing looks 20 years old.

I'm glad this Husqvarna mower has treated you well. I purchased a Husqvarna ride-on lawn mower around the same time with a B&S engine. It has 100 hours on it and it's basically shot. The engine is surging (gas is fine), the electric starter went (battery is fine), the transmission is grinding and won't go into reverse, and the deck is squeaky and seems to be weakened and flexing excessively over bumps. The thing looks 20 years old.
Is this Machine kept outside or do you mow when it is wet outside? Do you blow the machine off after each use?

Is this Machine kept outside or do you mow when it is wet outside? Do you blow the machine off after each use?
For the first few years it was kept outside but under a cover. The last few years it's been in the garage. I keep it fairly clean with a powerwash a few times per season and before winter.

I purchased a used murray push mower from a neighbor in 1975. I used it every year until 2013 when it finally died. It smoked alittle in the later years. I changed the oil and cleaned the air filter yearly, and every few years replace the spark plug. Great little mower. Not sure, but I think I only paid $25.

IMO that mower hasn't seen half its life so no need to buy the Honda. I had a John Deere JS36 with a B&S that mowed 2 to 3 yards a season for 12 years so ~30 years of normal use... It was still running strong when I give it away. It was using 10w30 HM oil but still run really well.

just my $0.02

That mower still looks brand new. I have the same exact mower now 4 years old but I paid the extra 30 bucks for the upgrade Honda 160 engine. Change my oil and air filter yearly and starts first pull soo far every year with a fresh tank of gas. I also run the gas dry every season -- wash and store in the garage.

I bought this Husqvarna mower in spring 2016 from Lowes for $300. I just finished the 7th mowing season with it and it still runs strong. After every season I replace the oil, air filter, and spark plug. I then run it until the gas tank is empty and it stalls. I then wash it and put it away for the winter.

I know this isn’t a real Husqvarna product like their chainsaws. It’s just a basic mower painted orange with a B&S engine on it. As soon as Lowes bought the Craftsman naming rights these generic Husky mowers disappeared from Lowes. I had a very hard time finding a new blade a few years ago for it. I found one online from a small mower shop in Pennsylvania. I keep telling myself that the current year will be the last year I will be using this, but nothing breaks on it. The AWD still works year after year. I have a 9,000 sq ft yard.
I’m thinking about just buying a Honda before the production stops next year and keep it in standby.

View attachment 131023
Don't even think about getting rid of it if nothing is broken. I have a 99 Toro recycler (Briggs and Stratton 6hp GTS) I bought used about 4 years ago, it's been nothing but oil changes and sharpen the blade. Very reliable and it seems like zero wear on the wheels still. I will keep this thing as long as I can.
You could always buy a used Honda later on but maybe they will go up in value in the future...so might not be a terrible idea to buy as a spare?
Maybe your current mower will hold up longer than you think? Even if it's not a real husky, it's probably better than the cheapest box store machines? I have a "consumer grade" Stihl trimmer I bought used from a guy I used to mow lawn for. It's been the most reliable piece of outdoor power equipment that I've owned even though it's not a real professional Stihl.

My Home Depot $139 Chonda is headed to season 19 next spring. Still has OG plug. In the spring it takes about 4 pulls with full choke and it lights off. Basic maintenance and fuel cleaner twice a year. I run it dry at the end of each season. She is a garage queen. That Husky has more life in it.

My push mower is also 7 years old, a MTD Gold I had to buy in a pinch in 2015 near the end of mowing season when my old Lawn Boy became dangerous to operate since the deck was falling apart.

The MTD has B&S' "never change the oil, just check & add" engine. I don't believe that at all and change the oil every year. I honestly think this cheap thing wasn't meant to last that long, but I try to take good care of it.

Hondas are not that much better to buy one now when not needed "just in case" unless you can one heck of a deal. Otherwise I would enjoy your present mower for the next five or more years to come. It is not uncommon to get 15+ years out of a mower with good maintenance and careful use.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna has served you well. Keep doing what you are doing. There is no need to buy another mower, if you don’t actually need one.

Back