76 Super synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local .99 cent store is now carrying 76 Super in 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 weights for $2.99/qt. They also carry Shell conventional oil for the same price. Gotta do an oil change this weekend on the wife's 02 Xterra and might try the 76 Super out. Was just wondering is that oil for $2.99 each a good deal / good oil or is there something else that's worth the extra money (Mobil clean 5000, PYB, etc...).

It's probably decent oil, I'd use it. It sounds overpriced by $2.00 at the .99 cent store! Did you check WM? They've got cheaper oil then that.

Last edited:
We used to sell it at the industrial supply shop I used to work at. Actually sold it by the pallet load. sold. aw32 and 46 hyd oil. 15w40 diesel oil in two different qualities and some 10w30 as well. It's made by connoco phillips. I thought it was good stuff. Your Price does seem a bit high though.

I've seen these oils at my local "99 Cents Only" store too.. same price. On more than one occasion, I THOUGHT about picking some up.

But then I thought about it some more.

$2.99 x 5 = $14.95 for 5 qts

Mobil Super is $12.97 for a 5qt jug at Wal*Mart.

Advantage - Mobil Super.

Personally, I'd take a semi-synthetic Conoco product over Mobil Super dino. $3 quart is a good price. Conoco also makes Motorcraft and Kendall semi-synthetic - both are fine oils.

To the best of my knowledge 76 is a clone of Trop Artic. Good stuff, but $2.99 a quart is a mediocre (but fair considering the quality) price for it IMO.

I get Trop Artic on sale for about 2 bucks a quart. Would not hesitate to run it in anything, 66 produces some excellent oils.

I've used 76 Super oils for many years with good results. It's made by Conoco Phillips and should be the same as the Conoco branded oils. The 99 Cent store price of 2.99 a quart is a bit high though as that is what I pay for it in smaller quantities at my oil supplier.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Personally, I'd take a semi-synthetic Conoco product over Mobil Super dino. $3 quart is a good price. Conoco also makes Motorcraft and Kendall semi-synthetic - both are fine oils.

Care to explain why you would make this decision? What is the difference between Super 76 and Mobil Super? Other than labeling.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Care to explain why you would make this decision? What is the difference between Super 76 and Mobil Super? Other than labeling.

Obviously he is talking about getting a semi-syn for $3 a quart, thats the difference he clearly stated.

I've used 76 Super and its cousins Conoco and Kendall for the past six years. The last case of 76 Super I paid about $2.40 a quart in 2012 at a distributor. Phillips 66 Technical Department does not disclose the percentage of synthetic contained in these oils, but from my experience, you can use them with confidence and they are blends, which to me is a plus.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns

Obviously he is talking about getting a semi-syn for $3 a quart, thats the difference he clearly stated.

Which means what? Is it farfetched or fetchfar?

Dave 1251, as you know, both oils are rated SN, but the Mobil Super is conventional while the 76 Super is a synthetic blend. Both are fine for 5K OCs. I've routinely gone to 6,500 on the 76 Super in my Honda and the top of the engine is very clean.

I'm currently using the 76 5w20 in my ford 5.4. It's probably the same or at least very similar to motorcraft oils which provide excellent uoa's here. So far I'm pleased with the 76 brand oil and will probably continue to use it as long as I can keep getting it at at a good price

OK another vote for the label not actual performance.

If you want to measure performance, open up a laboratory. To me, when I see that "the top of my engine is very clean," that's prima facie evidence for me.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

If you want to measure performance, open up a laboratory. To me, when I see that "the top of my engine is very clean," that's prima facie evidence for me.

OK label vote.

Yes, good stuff. It's a ConocoPhillips product. Same stuff as Kendall. C-P just puts the same oils in different bottles.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Dave's contention is not that 76 isn't a quality oil, it's that MS5K dino will keep your engine just as clean, without the 'blend' marketing term you, and many others, understandably see as a 'plus'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back