747 operates a ferry flight after loss of engine due to fire

Interesting, I never knew that.

Smart idea.
And in addition to the 707 mentioned in the article, the DC-10 series, the DC-8 and the L1011 can do it as well. Probably others I don’t know about.

Here is a Diesel-8 with the carrying pod attached. Whether there is actually an engine inside or not, I don’t know.

066C7F19-AD92-4D25-9B85-D969A633EA47.jpeg

Beats spending the 12hrs I did as 10 year old on Pan Am 747 on Cypress stop from Middle East back to home. They would not allow us to get off plane so they had to fly engine in, replace and send back into sky.

Well … this might look like memory lane - but look closely at the nacelles

View attachment 145924
Those naccles (had to Google the word), look like the same nacelles on a 78x and. 737 max

Guessing that is a charter aircraft for the new firm using the Eastern name? Or a great Photoshop job.

Those naccles (had to Google the word), look like the same nacelles on a 78x and. 737 max

Guessing that is a charter aircraft for the new firm using the Eastern name? Or a great Photoshop job.
Yes … seems to be a B748i …
804B09FD-98D0-4422-953D-CE8BB6E55D8D.jpeg

Reactions: GON
Actually there is Eastern Airlines that is operational. I think they have several 767 and two 777. They bought name rights, something like that. Same livery.
Thought that Guyana thing is narrow body … in/out of bankruptcy

Nah, they are still around, though, to me looks like some money laundering operation.
That is why I said "computer generated" bcs. actually, they do fly, sometimes.
I think they shut down operations again until some sleaze tries again …

When I was stationed on Guam, Japan Airlines came thru ferrying and engine on one of it's 747's.

Many years ago, I worked at General Dynamics/Convair. Among other things, we assembled the mid fuselage for the DC-10. I always remember a conversation with an engineer who said any craft with 4 engines should be designed to take off with 3 and land with 2. I assume he meant optimal conditions.

That was then, not sure about today.

Back