700 Nitro Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy recoil
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Got to hang onto that bad boy harder! Check the vids if the middle eastern dudes trying to hang on to some nitro power.

Was at a friends cabin and he brought his out to top some trees that were blocking the view. We sat on the deck and took turns trying to hit the same spot on each. Many broke off, others did the next wind storm. Yes, it kicked hard, but the owner being one of the max grain reloader types had me a little concerned about ending up with a face full of metal.

The first guy was leaning back and did not have the gun into his shoulder well. He was asking for what he got.

It's perfectly possible to drop an elephant with a well placed 375 H&H. I could see using a .460 to stop charging African game. Anything more than this and it is all about guys comparing the lengths of their...
blush.gif
smirk.gif

Seriously. It's basically .50 BMG power in a rifle sized to be able to actually walk around the wilderness and hunt. Wouldn't want to lug around an AR-50 through the African Safari!

I personaly would prefer a lighter round with less recoil for follow up shots, since there is a real good chance your miss with the first one when a Rhino is coming at you...
fighter.gif

It's strange talking about a .460 as having less recoil!
crackmeup.gif

you know there's a reason a .50BMG say a barrett, weighs what it does, so the recoil doesn't kill you. A .700 nitro express (not that I've shot one) should have a easier to handle recoil due to the black powder.. it's much more of a shove than a WHACK. the nastiest rifle (for recoil) I've ever shot was a ruger #1 in 45/70 using falling-block only smokeless hand loads. all I can say was ouch!

"It's perfectly possible to drop an elephant with a well placed 375 H&H"

Bell, probably the most famous elephant hunter, used a 7mm Mauser. Finn Aagard in an old American Rifleman noted that before they stopped big game hunting in Kenya, the main sporting goods store in Nairobi sold more 30.06 than anything, by a large margin. The 375 H&H was a distant 2nd. Locals used the 30.06 on everything.

Quote:

you know there's a reason a .50BMG say a barrett, weighs what it does, so the recoil doesn't kill you. A .700 nitro express (not that I've shot one) should have a easier to handle recoil due to the black powder.. it's much more of a shove than a WHACK. the nastiest rifle (for recoil) I've ever shot was a ruger #1 in 45/70 using falling-block only smokeless hand loads. all I can say was ouch!

What black powder?

All Nitro Express rounds are smokeless powder, hence the "nitro" in their names. As for these large calibers, they are called "stopping" rifles. They are only intended to go up against dangerous game at very close ranges where a second shot may not be possible. For example, a wounded cape buffalo in tall grass. www.nitroexpress.com is a good website to visit, check their forums for more good info.

Quote:

The first guy was leaning back and did not have the gun into his shoulder well. He was asking for what he got.

It's perfectly possible to drop an elephant with a well placed 375 H&H. I could see using a .460 to stop charging African game. Anything more than this and it is all about guys comparing the lengths of their...
blush.gif
smirk.gif

Anything more than this and it is all about guys comparing the lengths of their...
That's pretty much what shooting large mammals for trophies is anyway.

I was born and raised on the east coast, in the South, FYI. Where I come from, where I live now, have nothing to do with the asinine practice of trophy hunting.
Meat hunting is fine, as long as you know what you're doing.

You guys also forgot price tags. This caliber rifle is also a way to show off the size of your wallet as well, as most of them start at at least $50,000+ for an "off make" of the caliber, and H & H's start at $200,000+. Happy spending.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back