7 inch angle grinder

I've been considering getting a larger angle grinder. Uses would be mostly sharpening mower blades and light welding work. Would a 7 inch work better for mower blades than a 4 1/2?

Seems it would grind the face of the blade better .

7" imo is for where you need more depth of cut or you are wearing out wheels too fast.

4.5" angle grinder is plenty for me.. esp if you dont have a nice one. (13amp corded or min 18/20v brushless)

If anything, the handling characteristics of a larger grinder might make handling more cumbersome. The RPM of larger grinders is typically less due to safety than grinders that use a smaller wheel.

Amps is more important than wheel size in my opinion.
I have a 4.5" Porter Cable grinder that is 7 amps. I really like the paddle switch but the grinder is lacking on power in some circumstances.
I used it with flap sanding disc at my younger sisters house to remove old paint from a basement cellar door.
It needed more power for that job.

Wish I bought this instead:

A 7" will remove metal faster, but it also creates heat faster too. Excessive heat is not good for blade temper. Use a 4" and take your time.

I had (2) 7" grinders, then 4 1/2" was invented! Wow, I'm glad. Now I have (7) 4 1/2" grinders, DeWalt, Ryobi, Craftsman, Harbor Freight Chicago Electric, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Black & Decker. I keep different attachments on them, 2 grinding wheels, cut off wheel, diamond blade, cup brush

Back