7.3 Powerstroke Filter Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All:
Going to do a switch to synthetic 5 w 40 in schaeffers. I am now debating the choice of filters available to me. I am looking for input as to what has been tried, worked, and best for my truck:

1997 F-250 with 7.3 146,000 miles. Automatic NO MODS at this time:

Filters I am considering

Motorcraft
WIX
WIX 51734XE
Donaldson ELF7405
Hastings
Baldwin

Of course I am going to say Motorcraft as we see these all the time at the dealership.

We've had problems with non-OEM filters on the diesels, especially those that come attached to their own cap.

FWIW, if you run Motorcraft filters you won't have any problems, others are a dice roll.

Others can chime in on their luck with the other filters.

My brother-in-law has a 1997 F350 with the 7.3, great truck and engine.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas

We've had problems with non-OEM filters on the diesels, especially those that come attached to their own cap.

Huh? I don't understand the cap comment- maybe you are referring to fuel filters. I'm assuming the OP meant OIL filters since this is the OIL filter section
smile.gif

I've run Motorcraft, Purolator and WalMart OIL filters on my Powerstroke nearing 200,000 miles with no trouble with any.
So far doesn't use a bit of oil, had mostly a Rotella T life the first 100,000 then some Delvac, then Delo, now it gets Rotella 5w-40 "synthetic" in winter and Delo 15w-40 in the summer.
Most of the miles have been towing something, anywhere from 2000 lbs to 15,000. Oil/filter change typically about 4,000 miles.

The "cap" issue refers to the 6.0,6.4 powerstroke. For a 7.3 any of the filters you have listed will work just fine.

Thanks guys, I have alot of faith in the OEM Motorcrafts, but have seen alot of guys on different sites, and from searches using all the ones listed. I have a great supply of Baldwin/Hastings at my hands with a local farmer that has an oil shop.

Just wasnt sure with extending the OC's and using the full synthetic if one filter performed better than others

motorcraft filters filter down to 20 microns. They don't get much better than that. Unless you use a donaldson endurance which filters down to 15 microns.

id go with oem motorcraft or donaldson. baldwin and hastings are also a good choice. i work on diesels all the time (powerstroke ,cummins, duramax,) and i usually recommend the oem filters or one of the other ones. best one hands down i would say is the motorcraft for a good ' ol 7.3. what mods are u planning on doing to it? my buddy just bought a '99 7.3, we put a 4 inch turbo back exhaust, tymar intake, and a custom DP Tuner.............that tuner sure makes that truck roll now!gonna do alot more to it though

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
motorcraft filters filter down to 20 microns. They don't get much better than that. Unless you use a donaldson endurance which filters down to 15 microns.

At what % efficiency? ... hope it's not 80% like other Motorcraft filters.
shocked.gif

I have no scientific data of any sort to say how good the filter is, but my father-in-law's '99 PSD is on it's second Mobil1 M-601 filter and there are no issues to report.

Im not a real fan of the MC filter except on the 6.0 ( It's a Must ). The Donaladson ELF7405 is by far the best filter mentioned. Added size and capacity are nice with this filter aswell.

The mobil 1 is a great filter that can be had at about any parts store. I also really like the Baldwin 7039. Baldwin Fuel filters are the filters to run on the 99-03 SD. Being 2 micron they are the best Fuel filter available.

I run the Donaldson on my truck often with great results. Even with Twin HPOPs they get fed with this filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back