65" TV recommendations needed

How long did your tube TV last?
I bought it in 2005 I believe, and it died in January of 2012. It was a Sanyo. I had expected it to last longer, but oh well. So, I don't know all that much about TV's, we always called the big 70's, 80's and 90's TV's "Tube TV's", not sure if they still had tubes in 2005. I found someone selling the exact same TV on Ebay, here are some pictures of it:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-191128_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-191128_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220614-191144_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-191144_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
How long did your tube TV last?
I know you didn't ask me, but as a "data point" my 32" Panasonic SuperFlat with invar shadowmask and S-Video
(competitor the Sony WEGA) lasted from 1996-2016 - I got it repaired one time - the de-gausser stuck on. My electronics repair guy knew what it was immediately and ordered the part by phone - and had it fixed that afternoon. I think I recall the faulty module was on the circuit board hanging on the tube pinout connexions. Then it went out again a couple years later and that was that. Man that TV was HEAVY took all that two of us brutes could muster to get it out of the house, in the wagon and take it away it to the transfer station - Ken

I bought it in 2005 I believe, and it died in January of 2012. It was a Sanyo. I had expected it to last longer, but oh well. So, I don't know all that much about TV's, we always called the big 70's, 80's and 90's TV's "Tube TV's", not sure if they still had tubes in 2005. I found someone selling the exact same TV on Ebay, here are some pictures of it:
Tube refers to the picture tube,TV's have been solid state for many decades.

My only comment is after owning Samsung for over a decade I've moved on to Sony. I have a 12-year-old 1080 HD Samsung that is still one of the best TVs I've ever owned. It still has great color, a sharp and crystal-clear picture, and no visual defects. I've also replaced 3 4K Samsungs bought less than 5 years ago. None of the pictures ever looked as good as the 12-year-old TV. Sure, they were sharper, especially up close, but for whatever reason, they still didn't look as good. All three started having problems with two suffering from their screens dimming in areas and one has faint white ghost-like projections that extend up from the bottom of the screen making the entire lower half of the screen look washed out. The old one is built like a tank and the newer ones feel flimsy. They feel cheap.

The Sonys are more expensive but still feel much better built and all three look as good as they did the day I bought them.

Was it a flat screen you know about 4 inches thick?
If it was deep and real heavy it was a tube TV.
It was the big bulky TV just like we had in the 80's, deeper than it was wide, but the screen itself was flat. At the time, it pretty much looked like every other cheap TV I had ever had, but the glass was flat instead of having a curve to it.

It was the big bulky TV just like we had in the 80's, deeper than it was wide, but the screen itself was flat. At the time, it pretty much looked like every other cheap TV I had ever had, but the glass was flat instead of having a curve to it.
That was a tube TV.

I put five TCL android tv's in my brothers office a few months back.

They are really nice and for the price you can't beat it. Usually on sale at best buy.

I do not like the Roku TV's and I do not like the Amazon fire TV.

LG makes the OLED panels for Sony, but Sony uses there engineering and components for picture and sound. A brother of mine has a 65” Sony OLED with the surface sound speaker. It’s amazing.
Sony invented/developed OLED panels and sold the tech to LG. Now it buys them from LG

We have a 50” Panasonic Viera plasma (TC-P50ST50) that I bought to replace an old Magnavox tube TV that died back in 2012.

I paid $999 on Cyber Monday in 2012.

I still think it has the best picture quality I’ve seen on a TV.

I’ve had 2 capacitors fail on mine in the last year or so, both replaced by the TV repairman, and he has asked me to let him know if I ever want to get rid of the TV.

Just wondering what I’d get when this one inevitably does fail.

I think I’d at least go with a 65”. And Id want something with at least as good of a picture as what this one has.

There's absolutely no information on a TV that I'm concerned about keeping private.
Not the info about you being private, but it WATCHES you watching it. Not caring about them gathering info about you encourage them and others to do even more. Push back

I'll chime in with my recommendation.
I can recommend it, because I just bought one today.
The LG OLED55C1PUB.
Since the C2's are out, got a good deal.
$1299. on sale for $1099.,plus 24 mos. SAC.
Saw the C1 next to the C2. There was some difference in brightness.
However, for $900. less, the C1 is plenty bright enough.
I read several reviews saying that it was the best set going.
Don't know about all that, but it is a pretty impressive piece.
For a 65", add about $500.

Have got two homes so I've experienced owning several TVs in both over the years.
Started with Panasonic plasmas in both...but they're long gone.
For the last several years we've had a 65" Hisense Roku TV at our beach house. I paid $350 for it at BJs and the picture is outstanding.
Bought a very highly rated TCL 6 series for my home theater at our other home. It's a 75" Roku and it too has outstanding picture quality.
Both are at similar viewing distances of about 12'. That 10" is significant.
I say 65" minimum if you have the space. Zero issues with Hisense and TCL.

Back