Shopping for New TV 65" soon Anything beat a hisense U8H for value?- not paying 2k for OLED.

While considered I was aiming for 120hz as the motion blur is esp. noticeable to me.
Typically keep tv's around 10 years although current nothing special 55" samsung is going to spare bedroom.

Non VA would be a plus but the couch is directly in front of the TV so not hugely necessary for viewing angle.

Was also considering TCL 6 series if I could find a good enough bargain.

May play a few games with steamlink on it but nothing really demanding.

edit: BB has TCL 65R646 for 699 (my price $585) hmm...

Last edited:
While considered I was aiming for 120hz as the motion blur is esp. noticeable to me.
Typically keep tv's around 10 years although current nothing special 50" samsung is going to spare bedroom.

Non VA would be a plus but the couch is directly in front of the TV so not hugely necessary for viewing angle.

My LG has an IPS panel and the contrast is…. Well “friggin awful” a gross understatement.

When my 10 year old ChangHong TV bit the dust last month I bought a U6H Hisense from bestbuy. I have less than $400 into the whole setup including a wall mount from amazon.

For a 400 dollar TV, the 4k stuff on youtube looks fantastic.

The Sony X90K is on sale for $1000 right now...no brainer in my book but I'll admit I'm a Sony fanboy. I own it in a 65" and it looks great. That being said, the Hisense also looks like a very solid set and Android TV is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:
I second going with a TCL

my brother bought a 75 inch TCL and its pretty nice. I also have a small 32 inch TCL in my garage and its holding up just fine being in a different environment with temperature changes etc.

I myself bought a 50 inch Phillips 4k model from walmart for around 220 and its pretty nice as well.

looking for 65" and not forking out 2k for OLED
That's not even close to necessary. My wife bought me a 65" LG OLED in December for around $1000. Must have been a "Christmas" special now that I look. Ouch.... looking at BB's website now, maybe it's almost close to necessary after all !

Personally, I'd avoid Hisense, TCL, and other "budget" brands.

Those sony's are rated much lower than the U8H I am looking at.
The sony x95k is the closest costs 80% more and is rated lower.

TV's are disposable and always seems to improve after you unbox whatever you get. Am glad that I don't live in front of one. I usually just grab a blackfriday sale, a last years clearance/closeout, or whatever is locally available when its needed....current tv failure is usually a prerequisite since I just don't buy for upgrading, and don't need the bragging rights for latest tech. Whole house surge protection has prevented surprise electronic failures this past decade.

Typically keep tv's around 10 years although current nothing special 55" samsung is going to spare bedroom.

We are thinking of upgrading our basement "movie" TV soon. Watching movies with audio played through my 1970s Realistic receiver and some decent speakers everything is fine, but with the internal speakers occasionally audio cuts out (when my wife is watching something and doesn't want it playing at movie volume).
Just doing some research today to see if could fix the audio issue I found out my 2009 Sony Bravia 46" is 120hz and it was a big deal jack then for that specific tv.
I hate to spend the $ on a tv cause the old one still has a really nice picture but it would be nice to have a little bigger one and 4k might be nice.

We are thinking of upgrading our basement "movie" TV soon. Watching movies with audio played through my 1970s Realistic receiver and some decent speakers everything is fine, but with the internal speakers occasionally audio cuts out (when my wife is watching something and doesn't want it playing at movie volume).
Just doing some research today to see if could fix the audio issue I found out my 2009 Sony Bravia 46" is 120hz and it was a big deal jack then for that specific tv.
I hate to spend the $ on a tv cause the old one still has a really nice picture but it would be nice to have a little bigger one and 4k might be nice.
The latest ones are shockingly better.. not even talking oled.(which are super nice esp for wide viewing angle)
once you get to mini led backlit 120hz dolby vision /hdr10 etc some programs will look entirely different

the old one still has a really nice picture but it would be nice to have a little bigger one and 4k might be nice.
The latest ones are shockingly better..
They are - it's incredible how good the picture is as well as the software that drives the picture, upscales, etc. I really had no complaints about our 1080p but the difference with 4K is incredible.

That's not even close to necessary. My wife bought me a 65" LG OLED in December for around $1000. Must have been a "Christmas" special now that I look. Ouch.... looking at BB's website now, maybe it's almost close to necessary after all !

Personally, I'd avoid Hisense, TCL, and other "budget" brands.
I'm leaning towards LG for our next TV. My phone and almost all our appliances are LG, some likely close to 20 years old and only the 17 year old washing machine died so far.

I'm leaning towards LG for our next TV. My phone and almost all our appliances are LG, some likely close to 20 years old and only the 17 year old washing machine died so far.
Lg has the best OLED. At the best price.
IF I was shopping OLED it would be LG no doubt.. (unless there was some crazy sale)

A factory refurb 65" B2 series was almost down to 1000$ for 65" recently. 1038
BuyDig via eBay -- w/ 20% off code: PRESDAY20
LG 65" OLED B2 Series
4K UHD HDR Smart TV $1037.59 (Free Shipping)
Model: OLED65B2PUA

B2 is 95% of what you get with from the more expensive C2.

Those sony's are rated much lower than the U8H I am looking at.
The sony x95k is the closest costs 80% more and is rated lower.

You should read reviews on the Sony. Not just one person
Out of the box experience says nothing about quality components and longitivity
Im not disputing that review, if it makes you happy it's a good deal!
I stand by my comment about features vs reliability and make sure to check other reviews and comments from owners at the end of those reviews, in including Amazon, almost 20% of buyers have issues 1 to 3 stars, that means 2 out of ten. 12% on the Sony have issues

I told you what I buy and why.
Scroll down to the bottom of these reviews and read what common people say as well. Take some with a grain of salt and others of possible issue. Must keep in mind most all reviews are out of the box to only a couple months old, then calculate out.
Again, Im not knocking the brand, only what I do and what I buy. You very well may have a great choice with the U8H if you think it will be reliable. The reviews are impressive a long time ago I gave lessor name brands a look and past on them but that doesnt mean they wont live a long time, I think for me, its just a matter of which one in those budget friendly name brands will be a lemon or not.

One must also check which country the reviews are coming from as you will see a note that the u8h uses one type of screen in the UK and another type in the USA. (last review on the links below) This is kind of what I mean with budget brands but as long as you get what you think you are getting all is good.

Ps. for what it's worth, I rather have the Hi-Sense or any other LED than a OLED so I wouldnt think bad about not having one. A bright screen is important to me, we dont live in a cave and like a nice bright house. OLED are beautiful in dark rooms, just not for me but is for many. Though honestly as a brand LG is great.
I could care less about the sound on any of them, they will never match an audio system or sound bar, physical constraints make that impossible.

If I seem stuck on Sony its because reliability and things you dont read about often such as superior upscaling how much that matters now I dont know, our Sony 65 inch is around 4 years old now think x900 series or 900x

"But high brightness isn’t the only thing about the U8H that impresses. It uses a Quantum Dot filter for enhanced color, and the 504 local dimming zones on the 65-inch model deliver deep and detailed blacks. (According to Hisense, the 65-inch U8H model sold in the UK has 160 dimming zones, and it also uses an IPS panel as opposed to the VA one found in the US version.)"

Last edited:
Back