65" TV recommendations needed

If you are a picture connoisseur then I'd go instore to see whats your threshold on quality. If you can tell the difference steer clear of the low end.

65"?! Do you sit 25 feet away?

My cheap $270 Samsung LED backlit LCD is fantastic after fiddling with the picture adjustments for a week after purchase.
Got the picture to better than my reference 32" Panasonic Tube Monitor that cost $1175.

NO factory setting was even close to correct. Just feeding it xfinity cable through HDMI. I cannot be bothered with blueray. or any hard, rotating media anymore.

When visit friends and relatives, who are often showing off their megadollar TV at gatherngs. Thier picture quality is not properly adjusted and shows look like cartoons with over-saturated colour and excessive contrast and brightness with poor gray-to-black levels
and shadow detail. They might as well bought the cheap stuff and saved 500 dollars.

My cheap $270 Samsung LED backlit LCD is fantastic after fiddling with the picture adjustments for a week after purchase.
Got the picture to better than my reference 32" Panasonic Tube Monitor that cost $1175.

NO factory setting was even close to correct. Just feeding it xfinity cable through HDMI. I cannot be bothered with blueray. or any hard, rotating media anymore.

When visit friends and relatives, who are often showing off their megadollar TV at gatherngs. Thier picture quality is not properly adjusted and shows look like cartoons with over-saturated colour and excessive contrast and brightness with poor gray-to-black levels
and shadow detail. They might as well bought the cheap stuff and saved 500 dollars.
Totally agree on picture quality (though I think 65" is normal, and for a larger room I would go 75" or bigger).
Sound quality is even more important than the picture to me. 5.1 surround really makes sports and movies come alive. What do you have for your sound system?

I fiddled with the settings on my Samsung until I it got to where I liked it.
But picture quality varies from station to station and show to show with Directv.
Streaming services are much better but again varies from provider to provider and show to show.
But overall streaming is better.
On the rare occasion due to weather the satellite goes out and I switch to over the air and I'm less then 5 miles from the broad cast towers that sit on a mountain and the picture and sound are incredible.

Totally agree on picture quality (though I think 65" is normal, and for a larger room I would go 75" or bigger).
Sound quality is even more important than the picture to me. 5.1 surround really makes sports and movies come alive. What do you have for your sound system?
I used to use old stereo equipment from the 80's. Now I use Sennheiser wireless headphones.

My current family room doesn't have good acoustics - plus the TV is in the corner.

I can appreciate a 65" for a dedicated HT room, but not for normal family room watching.
Are people blind? or living in castles?

I am not into the HT "thing" having been a 2-channel "Boston area" audiophile in my youth.

Then. ubiquitous tower speakers have terrible acoustic issues not easily overcome.

enjoy your stuff! regardless of my "minority, snobby" position on such stuff. - Ken

I spent a little more than I wanted but glad I did. When I asked about size here everyone said "no one has ever complained they went to big' and I have to agree. First one is what I bough on Cyber Monday 2020, second is newer model. A lot of reviews stated this has a great picture right out of the box, turns out it does.

LG C1 is about $1500 at Costco in 65". A1 is $999. For just watching cable TV and streaming YouTube videos, will there be any noticeable difference between C1 and A1?
Yes. The A1 has an older chipset. I just got a 65" C1 at Costco and it is awesome. I stream Youtube TV over 30mbps dsl internet and the new C1 has a great picture, better than my C6 which I still have. It's probably the best picture you can buy right now. It's a 21 model and there is very little difference with the 22's. You will probably watch more tv with a picture like this.lol. Coming from plasma, I don't think you will be happy with an LED tv.

8-10' away is fine for a 65". Wouldn't go bigger though.

[QUOTE="I Once you go OLED, you don't go back.
[/QUOTE]
I have heard OLED are not that good in a bright room.

My 11 year old 50" Panasonic plasma doesn't seem to be as bright as it used to be and it may be time for an upgrade.

I've seen cheap 65" TVs in the $500 range, some in the $1000 range and the OLEDs $1500+

At the time, l thought plasma had a better picture quality than LED, but plasma is now obsolete from what l can gather. We're not heavy TV users and basically want something with a decent picture. LED, OLED, QLED, nano LED, full array LED, HDR, 4k, are some of the buzzwords l have come across.

What should l consider? Will the cheapest LED out there be a big improvement over the plasma or should l go a step or two up. I'm a TV novice and haven't really kept up with the new technology.
I am STILL using a 46 inch Samsung LCD 1080p acquired in 2010 which has never needed a repair. Though my cableco (Spectrum) provides only 1080i/720p there is no reason for me to be unsatisfied with it. I have seen the newer/better models but I just don't care. I have known others who have had 4 or 5 different TVs during this time (often TCL or Hisense) and I just zip my lip and smile at how "good" they look.

^ A Samsung 46", UN46FH6030F is my oldest, longest running LCD TV. Very happy to have gotten around a decade out of it (and nothing larger would fit well in the area it's in), but in the past year it's doing something funny where in very bright scenes, it starts to flicker the brightness enough to be annoying.

I fiddled with the brightness and contrast and at *just the right settings* the flickering went away, but it had been working fine for years at the same adjustments for these before it started doing it. There's no active, ambient light sensor or dynamic picture settings changing it.

Last edited:
I am STILL using a 46 inch Samsung LCD 1080p acquired in 2010 which has never needed a repair. Though my cableco (Spectrum) provides only 1080i/720p there is no reason for me to be unsatisfied with it. I have seen the newer/better models but I just don't care. I have known others who have had 4 or 5 different TVs during this time (often TCL or Hisense) and I just zip my lip and smile at how "good" they look.
Sounds like we probably have the same TV. We bought our's January 2012 when our 27" tube TV died, so for us it was quite the upgrade. It still has a great picture, still better (in my opinion) than a lot of new TV's I see at Sam's Club/Walmart/Best Buy. I have also seen many bigger TV's come and go, like you I just smile and nod. I'll take my old Toyota over a new Kia any day 😉

One thing to consider is your viewing angle. The picture degrades when sitting to the side if you choose a VA panel. IPS, VA, OLED are the three technologies. Don't get a high end VA panel if say someone might watch the TV from a far off angle. An IPS panel is better in that regard. OLED doesn't care where you sit. Qled means nothing unless you buy into marketing hype. The best VA panel will beat the best IPS panel in picture quality.

Sounds like we probably have the same TV. We bought our's January 2012 when our 27" tube TV died, so for us it was quite the upgrade. It still has a great picture, still better (in my opinion) than a lot of new TV's I see at Sam's Club/Walmart/Best Buy. I have also seen many bigger TV's come and go, like you I just smile and nod. I'll take my old Toyota over a new Kia any day 😉
How long did your tube TV last?

Back