65" TV recommendations needed

My 11 year old 50" Panasonic plasma doesn't seem to be as bright as it used to be and it may be time for an upgrade.

I've seen cheap 65" TVs in the $500 range, some in the $1000 range and the OLEDs $1500+

At the time, l thought plasma had a better picture quality than LED, but plasma is now obsolete from what l can gather. We're not heavy TV users and basically want something with a decent picture. LED, OLED, QLED, nano LED, full array LED, HDR, 4k, are some of the buzzwords l have come across.

What should l consider? Will the cheapest LED out there be a big improvement over the plasma or should l go a step or two up. I'm a TV novice and haven't really kept up with the new technology.

A top of the line tv will only broadcast the resolution your cable company provides. If you've got basic cable you'll have awful picture clarity no matter the price of the tv. All the display models in the stores programed to show their best picture cause their set in store mode. Once you buy it and set it up in home mode the picture clarity degrades. Only time the tv will approach the store display models picture is when you play blu-ray videos or whatever the new format is

oleds each pixel is individually lit
others may have many "zones" that can be dimmed/different brightness.
or just one backlight.

Plasma were really nice for sports with no ghosting.
LED takes a little bit of getting used to. Sometimes the motion seems "fake" for lack of a better word.

OLED is definitely premium.. but is it worth double? not to me.

Prices start around 370$ and go to the moon.

If you have a club membership sams club or costco usually have everyday decent prices.
otherwise bestbuy or walmart.

Go look at some in store then research online is my usual method.

What is your budget?

Just beware that a "cheaper" samsung isnt necessarily better than an "expensive" hisense.

Last edited:
Budget?

For someone with plasma for a decade, you probably won't be happy with anything other than OLED. Time to visit the stores.

Had a 60" Sony and we went shopping for a 65" Sony, ended up with a 75" Sony. with todays prices a 75" made sense. All my TV's have been Sonys and i'll never change. ;)
Recommend an outside antenna, you'll get the best picture over cable or sat.

Budget?

For someone with plasma for a decade, you probably won't be happy with anything other than OLED. Time to visit the stores.

Budget is flexible. If l primarily watch cable TV, does the cable signal fully utilize the capabilities of OLED?

LG C1 - OLED
Hisense U8G - LCD
LG C1 is about $1500 at Costco in 65". A1 is $999. For just watching cable TV and streaming YouTube videos, will there be any noticeable difference between C1 and A1?

Budget is flexible. If l primarily watch cable TV, does the cable signal fully utilize the capabilities of OLED?
I watch Youtube TV w/Roku and the picture quality is excellent. I purchased a Sony X95J and returned it for it simply was an inferior picture to the LG.

LG C1 is about $1500 at Costco in 65". A1 is $999. For just watching cable TV and streaming YouTube videos, will there be any noticeable difference between C1 and A1?
C1 will be slightly brighter and offers a superior processor. I think the C1 is the best bang for the buck OLED at the moment.

Just beware that a "cheaper" samsung isnt necessarily better than an "expensive" hisense.

I beg to differ. Hisense is crap, don't debug their android versions and they have short lifespans.

I'll take a major brand any day over a 2nd/3rd tier even if it takes a drop in *tech* to get there, because above all else, I don't want OS BS or early death.

Will a cable signal benefit from OLED? Yes of course, but you need to go to a showroom and look at them both, and fiddle with the picture adjustments as the more expensive sets are often tweaked to look better. You can also check out Rtings 'site, but they often make mountains out of mole hills and skip over things a short test can't reveal like lifespan and OS bugs. That's how brands like Hisense sneak past their radar.

Last edited:
Regular cable is low resolution and compressed. You'd have to upgrade to HD cable. You'll get better images if you watch internet channels but there too you'd need a good internet provider...anyone but Xfinity lol

Have owned many tv s over my lifetime. The best have been LG. Recently bought a LG 55 NanoCell. That is what I have for my home theater. I cut the cable, and run a Channel Master digital antenna.

Reactions: JC1
I don't know how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, but AVS Forum has separate forums going for LCD and OLED purchases:
Personally I like Sony but there's nothing scientific about my preference. For my next TV, may buy a "dumb" commercial display. The advertising and spyware on all the new consumer models is a real problem:

For my next TV, may buy a "dumb" commercial display. The advertising and spyware on all the new consumer models is a real problem:
Same here. We were looking to get a new Samsung 65", and move our 10 year old Samsung 46" into the bedroom, but after seeing the voice activated stuff etc on the new TV's, we are putting that on hold for now. Not a fan of the possibility of the smoking man from X-Files tuning in to see what's going on in our living room. 🙂

So far I’m very pleased with my Hisense U6GR (Roku interface, they also have an android version). Absolutely blows my 65” LG out of the water, LG claiming that TV can do HDR should be a crime.

Back