6 months with the 4K T.V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zeus33

4k by itself is not a major improvement over 1080p unless you have a massive screen. HDR however, is a big difference regardless of size.

My old eyes really can't tell much difference on smaller screens either. But once you get up to 80 inch screens, it's pretty obvious from just about any distance.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: bioburner
I have only seen Vizio touting home theater screens that are without tuners. Way to import for cheaper. Lot of them get returned and I got a 65 inch from Sams club that way. Have a external tuner and got a deal on a 1Tb Xbox for $200 to play disks. Don't bother with trying to upscale copied and compressed dvds to 4k. Get very poor resolution that the Xbox if it even let you view won't upscale very well. Bluray or better for the most part. The smaller LG 43 inch set is in the kitchen-office and has been very good set and was a no brainer when it went on sale for $280 including 3 year warranty to the door. Still can't get its 1080 version for that yet.

A family member thought he got a good deal on a Vizio "TV" from Sams Club a year or so back.

A year later Spectrum cable took over for Time Warner, and the rates went way up. He and his wife decided they wanted to ditch cable.

Went out and bought an antenna. He called me to ask how he could hook an antenna up to the TV.

I looked at the model and learned it had no TV Tuner, basically just a monitor.

I have no idea why Sam's would sell something like this to consumers. People have no idea what they are buying.

By Law (since 2007), all tvs must have a built in tuner unless there's a disclosure to consumer and retailers (Sam's Club) can be fined if they didn't disclose it. I think even a year later, you could return the thing and say you were misled and they would have to take it back for improper disclosure.

Things that are sold without a tuner should be labelled "Display".
You wouldn't expect a computer monitor to be able to see TV. Nor for those that don't want to pay for a tuner should they be forced to buy it even if they don't want to use it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
With most households adding an aftermarket soundbar, I wonder why these new fangled / high-tech TVs don't come with a soundbar attached.

Because a lot of us folks out here have real sound systems and don't want to have to pay for that [censored].

Originally Posted By: raytseng

By Law (since 2007), all tvs must have a built in tuner unless there's a disclosure to consumer and retailers (Sam's Club) can be fined if they didn't disclose it. I think even a year later, you could return the thing and say you were misled and they would have to take it back for improper disclosure.

Things that are sold without a tuner should be labelled "Display".
You wouldn't expect a computer monitor to be able to see TV. Nor for those that don't want to pay for a tuner should they be forced to buy it even if they don't want to use it.

Vizio clearly marks them as displays. It's not Vizio's fault that people don't read.

The VIZIO SmartCast™ E-Series™ Home Theater Display

They also mention it on their webpage:

Over-The-Air Broadcast.

If you use external antennas to watch local broadcasts, a TV tuner is required and sold separately.

Cheers! I recently went to Costco and bought a 55" TCL 4k HDR Roku TV for the non-sale price of $419. Picture is better than the two-year old SONY Bravia it replaced.

I'm happy with it and for me that's good enough.

I am still quite pleased with my 2013 Model Samsung 60" Model: UN60F8000BFXZA 1080p LED TV. The upper tier Samsungs are one of the best values around.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
Cheers! I recently went to Costco and bought a 55" TCL 4k HDR Roku TV for the non-sale price of $419. Picture is better than the two-year old SONY Bravia it replaced.

I think the Insignia and TCL are the same set just branded differently.
$419 is a steal.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Originally Posted By: GemStater

I think the Insignia and TCL are the same set just branded differently.
$419 is a steal.

I wondered that myself. I understand TCL is one of the biggest sources for all the major outsourcers.

Yes, I feel my TCL is an exeptional value. Plus with Costco's included 2-year warranty, it was a no brainer.

Here's the unit I got: https://www.costco.com/TCL-55%22-Class-(....100341093.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back