6 months with the 4K T.V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted awhile back that I bought an Insignia 55" 4K smart T.V. with built in Roku the day before Super Bowl this year for the screaming price of $429.00.
This T.V. has been great. Once I set the picture to my liking it looks super.
Are there better 4K sets out there? Probably but at a lot more money.
Now the sound is a different story, it sucks.
But a $100 sound bar fixed that.

yes, and yes. The higher end Samsungs are still relatively affordable at around $1500 to $3000 depending on size and gets you HDR, better lighting/contrast control and better processing of non-4k content. If you watch HDR (e.g. from Amazon) it is a jump up in experience.

Then if you take the next big leap up to more halo flagship TVs at $5k+ have even blacker blacks and brighter colors.
There are also SmartTV built-in features that may not be useful to you but do make things a lot cleaner than having to switch to another media input to do your smartTV functions.

The sound isn't going to be great on any of these, so that's a bit of a moot point as you should be spending to get a sound bar or other home theater.

That being said, if you're watching the game, all you care about is what happens. Ultimately as long as you are entertaied and able to get the content, you can still be happy.

Last edited:
The only problem is streaming that high of a definition (4K) when you have a date cap-most of which is 1TB a month.

It's fine for watching over cable or even an OTA antenna-but if you steam alot you could potentially go over your data cap.

Also-one needs to be careful when buying a new television-many come now without tuners-making a cable (or tablo or the like) box a necessity.

Last edited:
America doesn't have the broadband infrastructure in place for 4k media delivery. We're way behind the rest of the world. Too bad. In Japan, and South Korea, they have 8k broadcasting going on already. One implementation of 8k delivery uses 90mbps of bandwidth!

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
America doesn't have the broadband infrastructure in place for 4k media delivery. We're way behind the rest of the world. Too bad. In Japan, and South Korea, they have 8k broadcasting going on already. One implementation of 8k delivery uses 90mbps of bandwidth!

Is there compression with 4K? (which would defeat the purpose, like how cable channels are compressed but free to air is not as compressed=better quality)

I have only seen Vizio touting home theater screens that are without tuners. Way to import for cheaper. Lot of them get returned and I got a 65 inch from Sams club that way. Have a external tuner and got a deal on a 1Tb Xbox for $200 to play disks. Don't bother with trying to upscale copied and compressed dvds to 4k. Get very poor resolution that the Xbox if it even let you view won't upscale very well. Bluray or better for the most part. The smaller LG 43 inch set is in the kitchen-office and has been very good set and was a no brainer when it went on sale for $280 including 3 year warranty to the door. Still can't get its 1080 version for that yet.

Ive had my 55'' Westinghouse 4k from target for about 7 months has Netflix and a bunch of others built in. I love it. 0 issues. Had to play around with color settings and i prob will get a soundbar when i move

Someday i want to upgrade from a cheap LG 4k to a LG 4k OLED tv. All about those blacks and greys.

I've been eyeing on one of those LG OLED 4K TVs since they have started popping up at Costco. At a for sale price at $4,800 I might wait until the tech matures. The biggest problem with OLED is input lag ranging from 20-30ms which is bad for video gaming. I have a Vizio VF550M and with it's 15ms input lag which makes it borderline intolerable. Instead I'm currently using an LG 4K monitor which is pure eyegasm.

Last edited:

You can only fit so much in a certain amount of spectrum with CATV. Even with 720p/1080i, content gets heavily compressed where visual heavy scenes turns into a pixelated mess. One way to deliver 4K+ content is to use a high speed internet connection. 50Mbps is the avg internet speed in America which is the minimum bandwidth for 4K streaming.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

You can only fit so much in a certain amount of spectrum with CATV. Even with 720p/1080i, content gets heavily compressed where visual heavy scenes turns into a pixelated mess. One way to deliver 4K+ content is to use a high speed internet connection. 50Mbps is the avg internet speed in America which is the minimum bandwidth for 4K streaming.

Comcast (the cable company everybody loves to hate) has speeds faster than 50Mbps in many markets they serve. Here in Salt Lake I don't have their fastest service and I'm at 120Mbps. However-you still have the 1TB data cap/monthly to contend with, which Comcast also has in many markets they serve.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Comcast (the cable company everybody loves to hate) has speeds faster than 50Mbps in many markets they serve. Here in Salt Lake I don't have their fastest service and I'm at 120Mbps. However-you still have the 1TB data cap/monthly to contend with, which Comcast also has in many markets they serve.

Then there's the connection speed with the content provider. Streaming a 4K60FPS Youtube video with a consistent speed @ 38200Kbps with a buffer health of 16.5sec which is not bad. I have TWC (now Spectrum) 300Mbps internet and the only time it would max or boost my bandwidth is when I'm downloading huge files.

Or even this:

0gGIQJa.png

8K ready!

Ive been keeping my eyes open for a good deal. I see plenty of refurbs on groupon but only 90-120 day warranty. An extended warranty is available though. Most of the times their 55" 4k smart TV are in the 550-650 range, which isnt bad at all.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Is there compression with 4K? (which would defeat the purpose, like how cable channels are compressed but free to air is not as compressed=better quality)

I have an antenna hooked up for the rare times Direct T.V. go's out.
I am about 2 miles from the transmitters and they sit up on a mountain so my over the air reception is superb.
If I switch from Satellite to over the air the picture quality and sound is so much better.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I have only seen Vizio touting home theater screens that are without tuners. Way to import for cheaper. Lot of them get returned and I got a 65 inch from Sams club that way. Have a external tuner and got a deal on a 1Tb Xbox for $200 to play disks. Don't bother with trying to upscale copied and compressed dvds to 4k. Get very poor resolution that the Xbox if it even let you view won't upscale very well. Bluray or better for the most part. The smaller LG 43 inch set is in the kitchen-office and has been very good set and was a no brainer when it went on sale for $280 including 3 year warranty to the door. Still can't get its 1080 version for that yet.

A family member thought he got a good deal on a Vizio "TV" from Sams Club a year or so back.

A year later Spectrum cable took over for Time Warner, and the rates went way up. He and his wife decided they wanted to ditch cable.

Went out and bought an antenna. He called me to ask how he could hook an antenna up to the TV.

I looked at the model and learned it had no TV Tuner, basically just a monitor.

I have no idea why Sam's would sell something like this to consumers. People have no idea what they are buying.

Originally Posted By: marine65

This T.V. has been great. Once I set the picture to my liking it looks super.
Are there better 4K sets out there? Probably but at a lot more money.

4k by itself is not a major improvement over 1080p unless you have a massive screen. HDR however, is a big difference regardless of size.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: bioburner

A family member thought he got a good deal on a Vizio "TV" from Sams Club a year or so back.

A year later Spectrum cable took over for Time Warner, and the rates went way up. He and his wife decided they wanted to ditch cable.

Went out and bought an antenna. He called me to ask how he could hook an antenna up to the TV.

I looked at the model and learned it had no TV Tuner, basically just a monitor.

I have no idea why Sam's would sell something like this to consumers. People have no idea what they are buying.

I agree. It should be labeled as not being able to work without a cable box or some other aftermarket box.

They are labeled on the box, people need to do their homework before buying a new TV, was just at the San Diego FRYS Electronic store and fell in love with A SONY 4K 85" HDTV, that's what I call HOME THEATER!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back