6.7PSD oil flow requirements.

New guy here,
I'm looking to install an Amsoil BMK28 dual remote bypass filter kit on my 2021 6.7 Ford F450. They sent the kit with 1/2" ID hoses. The Amsoil technical department said that the bmk 28 setup is rated for 10gpm. I asked him for a pressure for the rating. He didn't know. He said 10gpm is WAAY more than the 6.7 Powerstroke will ever need, even foot to the floor and 3,000rpms. That seems awfully small and restrictive to flow for how much I'd think the motor needs. How much oil flows through the motor? I know the Cummins flows 16-20gpm at 60psi, that is what I'm basing my 6.7 Powerstroke requirements on. I have no data to support my requirements on the Powerstroke. I've looked everywhere for ID of the pickup tube, even factory full flow oil filter flow rates seem nonexistent.
Thank you,
21_6.7F450

Last edited:
BP filter systems only "sample" a portion of the total flow. They have a restriction device in them (typically a plug with a small orifice about .050") to reduce the flow in the BP unit. Hence, the BP system will only pull about 10% of the total off the main stream of flow. That BP flow is then returned to the main pathway in most systems. The 1/2" ID line is sufficient to supply the remote system.

The tech you spoke with is correct; there's no concern.

Last edited:
Dnewton3,
I am concerned with flow from the filter adapter on the factory mount running 4 1/2' of 1/2" ID hose to the bypass setup that would be located under the passanger side door, secured to the frame rail. All the oil has to go to and from the dual remote bypass filter because the full flow is now moved. Unless I'm not seeing this right. The full flow is now 4 1/2' from the factory location and only gets its supply from the hoses. The pictures and the video are from Don Smith on my style of truck. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The long skinny hoses for the full flow make me pucker. On the dual remote setup, all the oil goes through the hoses out to the full flow filter, then a portion is funneled to the bypass filter, then all the oil goes back through the long skinny hose correct?

Screenshot_20240610_162950_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_162940_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_162905_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I understand now. I was not conceptualizing your quest on the first go-round.
I don't have the specific data you seek; that of the max flow potential for the 6.7L PSD. Sorry I can't be helpful in that regard.

Dnewton3,
I found a calculator on a Gates hose site that tells me I'd have a 14psi loss across the board. I'd think that is rather large and I'm not sure why Amsoil is not concerned. If it idles at 30psi and I put this in and that drops it to 15psi. That is 5psi above the low pressure light. That seems rather harmful. I'm still learning and haven't installed the kit. I just don't want to have issues with my Powerstroke. I know they have been installed on thousands of trucks, I can't find anyone who checked pressure and flow before and after and I can't help but think with those folks, ignorance is bliss.

Screenshot_20240612_012407_Chrome.jpg

New guy here,
I'm looking to install an Amsoil BMK28 dual remote bypass filter kit on my 2021 6.7 Ford F450. They sent the kit with 1/2" ID hoses. The Amsoil technical department said that the bmk 28 setup is rated for 10gpm. I asked him for a pressure for the rating. He didn't know. He said 10gpm is WAAY more than the 6.7 Powerstroke will ever need, even foot to the floor and 3,000rpms. That seems awfully small and restrictive to flow for how much I'd think the motor needs. How much oil flows through the motor? I know the Cummins flows 16-20gpm at 60psi, that is what I'm basing my 6.7 Powerstroke requirements on. I have no data to support my requirements on the Powerstroke. I've looked everywhere for ID of the pickup tube, even factory full flow oil filter flow rates seem nonexistent.
Thank you,
21_6.7F450
There is zero need or real life benefit for a dual remote or bypass filter.

I disagree with you saying zero real life benefit. Increased capacity and another filter mounting up does a couple of small but still helpful things. It does help with fuel dilution effects because percentage wise there will be less fuel given the volume of oil tracking the same mileage. These 6.7 PSDs with their in cylinder fuel dosing for DPF cleaning are fuel diluters,thinning out the oil. It also helps cooling a bit with another filter increasing surface area.
Amsoil just needs to design a kit with bigger hoses for less pressure drop.
Amsoil refused to acknowledge that as an issue, yet I'm calculating close to a 15psi drop. That puts this close to 15psi at idle a 30psi working hard spinning under boost. Amsoil must think because the low oil pressure light doesn't come on, there is no problem. I have called and emailed them. They won't, I mean can't send me any data where they tested it on a 6.7 PSD. This is not a crack at Amsoil. I'm just frustrated with the thought of spending $490 and them not being able to prove it doesn't restrict flow or pressure. I wouldn't have bought it had i known this first, my mistake. They just say, it doesn't...please believe us.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd upgrade the hoses and fittings to 3/4" id and that should work well. I'm running two of my Detroit Diesels with remote oil filters and they recommend a min id of 3/4". I would not run 1/2" hoses for a full flow remote filter.

I disagree with you saying zero real life benefit. Increased capacity and another filter mounting up does a couple of small but still helpful things. It does help with fuel dilution effects because percentage wise there will be less fuel given the volume of oil tracking the same mileage. These 6.7 PSDs with their in cylinder fuel dosing for DPF cleaning are fuel diluters,thinning out the oil. It also helps cooling a bit with another filter increasing surface area.
1) increased capacity is ONLY useful if you extend the OCIs. Otherwise, it's just more expense with no relevant use.
2) the fuel dilution net-positive effect will be minimal; it's there ... but it's small (roughly the volume of one filter and the line set)
3) the "cooling" is irrelevant because these types of engines already use the engine coolant to control the oil temps. The added capacity of oil in the aftermarket filter won't make the engine or oil any "cooler" than what the temps are held at normally. Further, for every ying there is a yang ... More capacity also takes longer to come up to operating temps; that can be detrimental in cold climates

Amsoil just needs to design a kit with bigger hoses for less pressure drop.
Amsoil refused to acknowledge that as an issue, yet I'm calculating close to a 15psi drop. That puts this close to 15psi at idle a 30psi working hard spinning under boost. Amsoil must think because the low oil pressure light doesn't come on, there is no problem. I have called and emailed them. They won't, I mean can't send me any data where they tested it on a 6.7 PSD. This is not a crack at Amsoil. I'm just frustrated with the thought of spending $490 and them not being able to prove it doesn't restrict flow or pressure. I wouldn't have bought it had i known this first, my mistake. They just say, it doesn't...please believe us.
Well you have two choices
- believe them
- don't believe them
If you don't believe them, you can always do your own testing. Buy the system, install it, and use some high-quality gages installed before/after the lines and take some readings. Then pay to have your own larger ID lines made up, and test them again.

Seems to me you want to accuse them of a poorly designed product, but you've got nothing but some suspicion on your side. You accuse them of not having test data, and yet you have none of your own.

You've not said why you are going this route. I suspect it's because you're under some impression that using BP is going to help your engine last longer. That is patently false. BP filters do NOT extend the life of an engine. BP filters extend the lifecycle of oil.

Clean oil helps an engine last a long time. Clean oil can be achieved by two methods
- OCIs with a frequency such that the contamination load in the sump is kept at a reasonably low level
- high efficiency filtration which removes the particulate loading from the sump
Either is an acceptable means of maintaining an engine in a healthy state. Clean sumps are not an exclusive state of BP filters; OCIs also keep a sump clean.
Two roads to the same destination.

So if you intend to run really long OCIs, then I would agree BP filtration is a must.

If you intend to OCI at OEM levels (or shorter), then BP filters won't make a hoot of difference in terms of wear control. Is it worth your perceived risk of flow starvation to get no realized benefit in wear control? That's up to you.

It's $500 to get new 3/4" hose and new compression fittings. I'm in it this far, it's only money...dang you Amsoil...dang you. If they would have put decent sized hoses with a kit that relocates the full flow...(edit - MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:
DNEWTON3,
You are right on the Powerstroke. I have seen the system give the Cummins a hard time. It is a fact that they took the dual remote bypass kit off the market for pressure related issues....I'm not fixing to run a test on my $12,500 motor that's on backorder until November. I'll just get larger hoses.
My area is Cummins, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I replaced the oil pan and it has a 1.25" diameter pickup tube. The Amsoil kit will be for sale locally..I'm done with them. It will get Redline or Shaeffers fluids, nothing else. I'm not all that impressed with other options. The Ford's seem to clog up the the CCV filter as early as 40k miles. I've seen them swell and I believe that It's the cause for the upper pan leaks. I think Redline is a cleaner running oil than Rotella with less clogged CCV filters and turbo deposits.
Anyone in the Waco area want this Uninstalled kit? I'd let it go for a good price. It has powder coated Don Smith brackets that will go with it too.

I installed a bypass filter on my Ford 6.7. I bought a kit with all the parts, hose, etc. One screws a pancake adapter onto current oil filter housing then the normal full flow filter is screwed onto the pancake. One small hoses from the pancake to the bypass filter mount and another hose from the bypass filter mount to a modified oil fill cap. The bypass filter mounts under the vehicle with included bracket in the general area of under the passenger seat. It uses an Amsoil screw-on bypass filter.

Donald,
I have my kit for sale. The hose is WAAY undersized running to the full flow filter the BMK 28 uses 1/2" hose the the oil pickup tube is over an in in diameter. How Amsoil thinks this is acceptable is beyond me. Hike up a mountain and breath through a small straw...see how long you last. Just because the low pressure light doesn't come on doesn't mean damage isn't being done. Amsoil told me it will flow 10gpm at a psi he could not tell me. The 6.7 PSD flows 18-21gpm at 45-70psi. I'd sell it to a small 3l V6 diesel owner.
I agree, 5k is a far as I'd push an e-intact 6.7. I have money to change it, I will NOT do 10k. That's penny wise pound foolish. Save a few pennies to spend thousands later. What I see is the turbos having issues around 200k on the Cummins with 10-15k changes. I'm still learning the Powerstroke. I'd assume it is close to the same. Turbos can live 500k or longer on a good maintenance plan, my last two Cummins are proof.

Last edited:
Donald,
I have my kit for sale. The hose is WAAY undersized running to the full flow filter the BMK 28 uses 1/2" hose the the oil pickup tube is over an in in diameter. How Amsoil thinks this is acceptable is beyond me. Hike up a mountain and breath through a small straw...see how long you last. Just because the low pressure light doesn't come on doesn't mean damage isn't being done. Amsoil told me it will flow 10gpm at a psi he could not tell me. The 6.7 PSD flows 18-21gpm at 45-70psi. I'd sell it to a small 3l V6 diesel owner.
I agree, 5k is a far as I'd push an e-intact 6.7. I have money to change it, I will NOT do 10k. That's penny wise pound foolish. Save a few pennies to spend thousands later. What I see is the turbos having issues around 200k on the Cummins with 10-15k changes. I'm still learning the Powerstroke. I'd assume it is close to the same. Turbos can live 500k or longer on a good maintenance plan, my last two Cummins are proof.
I have gone for more than one click of the OLM for an oil change in past oil changes. I have always used synthetic oil. But now with my mileage at 150K I have fuel dilution problems I did not have a year or two ago. Looking at the injector balance to see if any injector needs to be replaced. First trying some Archoil fuel injectors cleaner.

REDLINE 85+. Get it, dose it heavy. 2 bottles in 38 gallons...your welcome.
Run it hard for the tank, not like an old man driving on the shoulder. Let it shift at 2800rpm a few times and flat foot it from 40-80mph

Back