5w30 in Mazda CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with 80k miles. The manual says to use 5w20.

I recently found a good deal on Valvoline Synthetic with Maxlife Technology 5w30 for a really good deal. I already use a 5w30 HM oil in my Tacoma and think it'd be nice to have only one stash of oil to use in both vehicles.

Shells website shows that other countries use higher grades of oil in the CX-9's.

Can I safely assume that running this 5w30 oil in my CX-9 would be fine?

I live in Northern California and the coldest it gets here is 30*f and the CX-9 is parked in a garage over night.

This car sees a lot of short trips, stop and go, and idiling. Basic grocery getter for taking kids to school and sports.

Last edited:
I shook a quart of pennzoil platinum 5w30 today at room temp and it seemed so thin!! I know i know real scientific but today's 5w30s especially synthetic seem pretty [censored] thin.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
PP 5w30 is on the thinner side of 5w30 syns i believe.

At least the older non pure plus stuff is a thin 30. I dunno what this new stuff is like as far as viscosity.

The 5w30 is perfectly safe for op's Mazda. Shoulda been used from the beginning of its life
grin.gif

The new Pennzoil with Pureplus technology is pretty thin to a degree too. It's barely 10.3 @ 100 °C . The HTHS is not listed on their TDS. Heck, Valvoline is one of the few who do list this info on their oils.
That's part of the reason I got the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage because it is thicker at 40°C and 100°C I think. I know the conventional PHM is thicker than PYB at those temps. 11.4 @ 100°C vs. 10.3 @ 100°C I think. So I am thinking their full synthetic high mileage is thicker at those temps versus the regular Platinum. No info on their full synthetic high mileage yet though.

Last edited:
My daughter's '06 Mazda3 2.0L requires 5W20 year'round and does just fine on 5W30. I mostly use 5W20 in the winter time but, I have(HAVE) used 5W30 in the winter and again, it did just fine even when the temps were near or below ZERO! And in the summer, 5W30 is all this engine gets!

Last edited:
About 100 of the 165k miles on my wife's 3 is on 5w30 defy. Just did a change with 10w30 defy,sadly for the last time, and its running like a champ.
Will switch to m1 hm since defy changed.

For what it is worth:

The owners manual for our CX9 (Australia) specifies 10W30, 10W40, 5W40 and 5W20.

The ambient conditions where I am are not too far off something like Socal.

I have been running 5W40 in mine with no problems. Was using Elf Excellium 5W40 for quite a while, but got hold of some Penzzoil Euro 5W40, so running that at the moment. Always open to suggestions if anyone has any better ideas....

As for CX9 transfer cases - don't get me started!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back