5w30 in a 5w20 specd focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 focus takes 5w20 but it seems like ford is moving back to 5w30 at least with most of their turbo engines. Mine isn't a turbo engine but the parts counter where I work sells 5w30 in bottles where as 5w20 comes out of bulk. I'd rather use bottles would 5w30 have any effect good or bad?

Why don't you use the mfg recommendation during the warranty period? There is no difference between bulk and bottled oil if it the same product.

You might lose 0.5 mpg, and potentially run into warranty issues. It won't harm the car in any way.

Why does everyone think they know better than the engineers that design and warranty these engines?

Stick with what they say.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You might lose 0.5 mpg, and potentially run into warranty issues. It won't harm the car in any way.

Agreed. I would probably go with the 5w20 through the warranty to eliminate any potential blowback if there is an issue.
After that, whatever you like.

If that is the only reason you want the 5w30 vs the 5w20, just go get some 5w20 in bottles and take it to them and make them show you the bottles afterwards, just tell them you want them to store the used oil from lawn mowers or something. Not a lot of difference in a light 30w vs 20w but as others have said, don't think I would test the waters with the warranty etc.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My 2014 focus takes 5w20 but it seems like ford is moving back to 5w30 at least with most of their turbo engines. Mine isn't a turbo engine but the parts counter where I work sells 5w30 in bottles where as 5w20 comes out of bulk. I'd rather use bottles would 5w30 have any effect good or bad?

I agree with many of the posters here. I think that the reason they use a 5w30 oil in turbo engines is because of the heat.

Use what is specified. I have my doubts that there is any issue with the bulk oil at your place of work. Is there a breather filter? Is the oil filtered before being dosed? How often does the drum get used up?

The dynamics in high boost twin turbo engines are far different than in yours.

This is what I've read before on BITOG. I think folks want to recommend mfrs spec oil because critical parts like timing chain tensioners and piston squirters and camshaft actuators operate on oil flow.

Will 5w-30 damage your engine? If you can afford to experiment, go ahead and run it. Otherwise run 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

It does sound like 5w-30 is better.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I use 0-20 in my 07 Focus. Works great.

Me too (Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE). As far as I can tell the cam variators work better with thinner, not thicker oil. But YMMV.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
use 20w no need for 30 in these engines unless you live near the equator
and even then the quality of synthetics and blends will be enough to protect

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Why does everyone think they know better than the engineers that design and warranty these engines?

Stick with what they say.

The engine in my 07 F150 (4.2 V6) was manufactured from 1996 to 2008. It was spec'd 5W30 oil up until year 2000. From 2000-2008 it was then spec'd 5W20 and all 4.2's were back spec'd 5W20 also. The whole time this engine was in production the clearances and tolerances were the same. I used 5W30 and 5W20 in my previous (2) 4.2's, and in my current 4.2. And, the engines never failed, blew up, fell out of the truck, shot out any pistons, etc.
But, I was always looking for the "5W20 POLICE" in my rear view mirror every time I used 5W30.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
use 20w no need for 30 in these engines unless you live near the equator

Car manufactures test their vehicles at Death Valley in summer, it is known to be the hottest place on earth in summer with temperature above 110-115F at noon and early afternoon for several months.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I use 0-20 in my 07 Focus. Works great.

+1....have used M-1 Ow20 in my 03' Focus for several years. Works beautifully and IMO, one of the best 0w20's on the market.

Combine with a Fram Ultra filter and you'll have a perfect combination (IMO).

Both oil and filter can be purchased reasonably at WalMart.

Keep some receipts for 20-weight LOF changes (during the warranty period) and add in a few quarts of 5W-30 or all 30-weight in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back