5w30 different from 10w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heheheh

dont_follow_me_sign.jpg

Originally Posted By: killagt
Will Pennzoil Yellow bottle work perfect with auto-rx clean and rinse ? btw some one told me that Pennzoils Yellow bottle is not group 3, it that true ? thanks

Group 3(III) would make it a synthetic. It is not a synthetic.

the mindset between american and australian oil changers is really surprising. in america, it seems the 10w-30 is considered really robust. IN australia, 10w-30 is considered weak, and like water !!

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Any 5 or 0w30 will protect in the heat just as good as a 10w30 oil would.
wink.gif

I don't know about that. If it were true, there would be no more 10w-30 made. I would take a quality 10w-30 for high heat, hard driving any day over a 0 or 5w-30.

well if that were true then any car ran in the summer when it's hot out useing 5w30 would melt down and seize.

5w30 is what GM recomends and will protect fine in the summer heat,it's still a 30w when hot.

I don't follow your logic.

Whats not to follow????? a 5w30 will protect as good as a 10w30 in the summer heat,simple...many cars on the road today run it AND thinner.

wink.gif

I don't know about that. If it were true, there would be no more 10w-30 made. I would take a quality 10w-30 for high heat, hard driving any day over a 0 or 5w-30.

well if that were true then any car ran in the summer when it's hot out useing 5w30 would melt down and seize.

5w30 is what GM recomends and will protect fine in the summer heat,it's still a 30w when hot.

Whats not to follow????? a 5w30 will protect as good as a 10w30 in the summer heat,simple...many cars on the road today run it AND thinner.

I think my will to argue just went away.

wink.gif

cheers3.gif
good...

Where did that statement come from? No one ever said or even inplied that at all.

Where did that statement come from? No one ever said or even inplied that at all.

Read above and you shale see.....

wink.gif

cheers3.gif
good...

This is exactly why this site is starting to suck. You make false statements as facts instead of stating them as opinions. We won't even get into the ASSumptions and how you arrived at the conclusion that you did with the 5w-30 and engines blowing up.

All things being equal a 10w-30 is more robust than a 0 or 5w-30. It will typically have a higher HTHS and will stand up to extreme temps and loads better. There are hundreds of pages on this on this site.

The 0 or 5w-30 will offer nothing in the form of better startup protection unless the climate requires it. The only advantage you may get is better fuel economy during the warmup process. Quit reciting this stuff you've heard on the internet like "most wear occurs during startup" and try and understand it.

This is exactly why this site is starting to suck. You make false statements as facts instead of stating them as opinions. We won't even get into the ASSumptions and how you arrived at the conclusion that you did with the 5w-30 and engines blowing up.

All things being equal a 10w-30 is more robust than a 0 or 5w-30. It will typically have a higher HTHS and will stand up to extreme temps and loads better. There are hundreds of pages on this on this site.

I agree with you on assumptions in place of facts and opinions stated as fact.

But.... those "hundreds of pages" on 10w30 vs 0w30 are beginning to get a little ripe- in other words, some were written before the current crop of 0w30s was released to market.

I'm one of those people who could care less about claiming I run 0 weight oil, or bragging that I run 50 weight. I just want to get through to the facts. There are a number of recent posts, including links to MSDS sheets and UOAs, that imply that the light synthetic oils like the Xw20s and the 0w30s *currently* are some of the best formulations out there. Best base stocks, strong additive packages. Note that I'm not saying its fact, I'm just noting that there is mounting evidence.

I for one have a pretty open mind. A 0w30 that starts with a good base oil, has a high "native" VI, has a good add package, and gets its VI spread by using pour-point depressants instead of VI improvers sounds like a winning combination from all aspects. Is it?

I dunno yet.

wink.gif

cheers3.gif
good...

The 0 or 5w-30 will offer nothing in the form of better startup protection unless the climate requires it. The only advantage you may get is better fuel economy during the warmup process. Quit reciting this stuff you've heard on the internet like "most wear occurs during startup" and try and understand it.

don't let the door hit ya in the ars on the way out.
putting words in my mouth now pal?? i never said that,take a hike

wink.gif

cheers3.gif
good...

Once again, full of facts and logic.

Originally Posted By: killagt
My oil cap say 5w30...

What is written on the oil cap is there for not other reason but to please the EPA. However, it also serves to help confused speedy lube shop technicians. The car owner, though, should ignore it.

I am ignoring the owner's manual for my truck. I like the way it starts in the cold since I switched to 5W-30. Cold starts are much less of a factor in MS.

Over the winter, Wal-Mart has wanted a lot more for YB 5W-30 than 10W-30. I may go with the 10W over the summer. My 02 is well out of warrenty.

wink.gif

cheers3.gif
good...

He's right though. There are a LOT of unsubstantiated claims and OPINIONS posted as FACTS on here recently.

All of the REAL facts seem to get lost in a sea of [censored].......

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back