5w20 vs 5w30 in kia 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hyundai dealer in San Antonio uses 5w30 semi syn in the 2.4L engines, and the 2.0L turbo engines.

They recommend a 3000 mile regimen, I have been sticking to 3750 miles.

The oil is trashed when its ready to change at 3750. I wish I had a UOA to back up my gut feeling but it is jet black, and sometimes smells like fuel.

For a $30 service, I'll dump it off at the dealer every 3750 and let them deal with it.

My Kia dealership does the same. They told me it's their way of simplifying their oil change service since all the vehicles allow 5w30. Interval recommendation is 5K miles and they use a semi-syn as well.

*Smart Man !!
Originally Posted by dubber09
5w30 (Penz Plat) here as well and doing 4K miles OCIs.

*Do NOT compare Hyundai Theta II 2.4L to any other GDI engine in terms of OCI and oil ... *When Hyundai / Kia replace a Theta II engine under warrantee - why do they fill with 5W30 ? That ought to tell you something ...
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Originally Posted by wemay
I'm going back to 5w20 in my 2.4. Also moving up to the manual's recommended 7.5k mile oci with Motorcraft. If this oil is good enough for certain Ford Ecoboost at longer intervals, it's good enough for my naturally aspirated Hyundai.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and for sure will be within the requirements for warranty coverage should some internal engine problem arise. When we look at receipts for DIY types with internal engine trouble under warranty, 7,500 is the magic number.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Do NOT compare Hyundai Theta II 2.4L to any other GDI engine in terms of OCI and oil ... *When Hyundai / Kia replace a Theta II engine under warrantee - why do they fill with 5W30 ? That ought to tell you something ...
Originally Posted by 69Torino
I'm going back to 5w20 in my 2.4. Also moving up to the manual's recommended 7.5k mile oci with Motorcraft. If this oil is good enough for certain Ford Ecoboost at longer intervals, it's good enough for my naturally aspirated Hyundai.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and for sure will be within the requirements for warranty coverage should some internal engine problem arise. When we look at receipts for DIY types with internal engine trouble under warranty, 7,500 is the magic number.

I used to have the same question. So I asked. The reason is because every engine under the Theta II umbrella allows for 5w30, not so 5w20 etc. This makes it a foolproof procedure where the Techs won't make a mistake, regardless of it being a 2.0T or 2.4L. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have the same 2012 KIA, currently at 124k. I've mostly used 5w20 penz plat to 100k with no burning. Last change at the dealer they used bulk semisyn 5w20 and it started burning oil. Swapped that out with Kendal semi mix of 5w20/5w30 and its fine again. With that Gdi engine I wouldn't push it past 7500 with Penn Plat. With the mountain driving your getting, I wouldn't take it past 6000 with a syn oil.

What were the reasons it required a rebuild?

Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash40
I'm going back to 5w20 in my 2.4.

Brother, you make my head hurt! lol

This place contributes to my OCD. lol

My 2019 2.4L Sorento calls for 5w-20 on the cap and the manual says either is fine. I will run 20 and it will be fine, if not it's 100,000 mile warranty will cover it. I will reap the benefits of 20 .... My preferred dealer puts in Total Quartz semi 5w-20, back-up dealer conventional 5w-30 and my local shop will put in what I give them, most likely a name brand syn 5w-20 with OEM filter.

JeepRubicon2k3
I run 5w30 and expect my 2.4 to be finer....... even maybe the finest....lol.

We both should be gooder, being our climates (Con & MI ) are similar.

Originally Posted by JeepRubicon2k3
My 2019 2.4L Sorento calls for 5w-20 on the cap and the manual says either is fine. I will run 20 and it will be fine, if not it's 100,000 mile warranty will cover it. I will reap the benefits of 20 .... My preferred dealer puts in Total Quartz semi 5w-20, back-up dealer conventional 5w-30 and my local shop will put in what I give them, most likely a name brand syn 5w-20 with OEM filter.

+1

I forgot to mention the most important part, OCI! My KIA Care Plan is 5k, I will schedule AT that time. They were booked 2 weeks out on Saturdays so it went 6xxx, but under 7.5k max. Not concerned

Based on the latest test by PQIA, QSUD's 5w20 NOACK is so good even I'm switching to it after a while on 5w30

Originally Posted by JeepRubicon2k3
I forgot to mention the most important part, OCI! My KIA Care Plan is 5k, I will schedule AT that time. They were booked 2 weeks out on Saturdays so it went 6xxx, but under 7.5k max. Not concerned

I just booked my only free oil change at the dealer for the Friday (day) after Thanksgiving. Is that far enough ahead?.....lol
Needing to get it in, prior to my one year anniversary date of purchase, which is December 10th. Booking it then allows us to get thru to mid-April, without needing another oil change.

I'm almost sure they will use Quaker State syn-blend 5w20.

If your dealer is a purebred KIA dealer they will use Total Quartz. If not, who knows w/o asking and make sure you do ... and inform us. What OCI are you shooting for?

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Based on the latest test by PQIA, QSUD's 5w20 NOACK is so good even I'm switching to it after a while on 5w30

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back