5w20 vs 5w30 in kia 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What oil grade was used before the rebuild? Your answer might lie there if the vehicle was properly maintained. I'd try a different grade than what was used prior, if he stuck to that grade. To need a rebuild after 130K miles doesn't sound too impressive to me, mountains or not.

This 2.4L motor I believe was part of the Hyundai/Kia recall for engine replacement due to manufacturing defects at their American plants. Personally unless you're in a severe cold climate I'd use the 5w-30.

Agree with Rat407, 5w20 Pao based perhaps something like Amsoil SS with oem filter. Since you'd be running a top quality oil I'd go 8,500 to start then work your way up to 10,000 mi. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
Would the 5w30 be safer for a 10k oci?

Don't do a 10k OCI on a Kia or Hyundai Theta II engine.

I'll second that. Now that I know what oil was used and how he serviced the vehicle I'd probably half the OCI to 5K miles and run 5W30 in it.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
I am getting ready to change the oil on a 2012 kia sorento with the 2.4L inline-4. It has about 150k miles and my friend who drives it goes up and down a mountain everyday. Engine was rebuilt 20k miles ago. The manual recommends 5w20 OR 5w30 for all temps. I am thinking of getting castrol edge EP and a fram ultra for a 10k OCI. This OCI will extend into the summer months this year. Are there any benefits or downsides to using 5w30 instead of 5w20? Would it run hotter or take longer to get up to operating temp?

Always choose 5w30 when given the option.
Brand oil doesnt matter unless your extending OCI past what the manufacturer recommends.

Based on the post above this one, your better off using Sams Club oil at $1.30 a quart in 5w30, cheapest filter possible and changing at the recommended interval of 4000 miles or so, since that is what the manufacturer calls for in oci

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Optima with the 2.4. I go 10000 km intervals. I use 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 in the summer. It seems to work for me. I had the engine checked out in the recall and no issues. It is a Korean car however.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Per Hyundai/KIA Owners Manual: 3,750 miles severe service & 7,500 miles normal service.

+1

I can tell you that I won't be ( and haven't been ) doing 10K mile OCIs with my Hyundai. I probably wouldn't do that with any direct injected vehicle and I might look for a happy medium based on your driving style / type of service. That's between 5-6K for me and sometimes sooner. I don't think this is the application for a 15K mile OCI and $30 specialty oil filter.

Wouldn't fuel dilution with 5W20 be more of a concern in the Kia / Hyundai 2.4 L GDI ?
5w-30 in a name brand Synthetic at 5k intervals would be completely acceptable. If you don't want to use 5w-20. 5w-20 will yield an immeasurable increase in fuel mileage. You likely will not notice the difference. The only other thing I can offer is that 20 weight oil flows better, allowing the flow of oil to cool the main and rod bearings more efficiently, and the variable valve timing to react quicker to commands from the PCM, due to the fact that the oil must flow through the head, through the oil control valves, and then finally to the cam phasers. Probably a negligible difference, but physics dictates higher flow rates equal better cooling and faster flow to variable valve timing components.

In the end you are not likely to glean a measurable difference either way with a 5k interval. Do what makes you happy and content.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Wouldn't fuel dilution with 5W20 be more of a concern in the Kia / Hyundai 2.4 L GDI ?
5w-30 in a name brand Synthetic at 5k intervals would be completely acceptable. If you don't want to use 5w-20. 5w-20 will yield an immeasurable increase in fuel mileage. You likely will not notice the difference. The only other thing I can offer is that 20 weight oil flows better, allowing the flow of oil to cool the main and rod bearings more efficiently, and the variable valve timing to react quicker to commands from the PCM, due to the fact that the oil must flow through the head, through the oil control valves, and then finally to the cam phasers. Probably a negligible difference, but physics dictates higher flow rates equal better cooling and faster flow to variable valve timing components.

In the end you are not likely to glean a measurable difference either way with a 5k interval. Do what makes you happy and content.

It is a concern, thus my recommendation for a 5k interval instead of the normal service 7.5k.

Last edited:
I'm going back to 5w20 in my 2.4. Also moving up to the manual's recommended 7.5k mile oci with Motorcraft. If this oil is good enough for certain Ford Ecoboost at longer intervals, it's good enough for my naturally aspirated Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I'm going back to 5w20 in my 2.4. Also moving up to the manual's recommended 7.5k mile oci with Motorcraft. If this oil is good enough for certain Ford Ecoboost at longer intervals, it's good enough for my naturally aspirated Hyundai.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and for sure will be within the requirements for warranty coverage should some internal engine problem arise. When we look at receipts for DIY types with internal engine trouble under warranty, 7,500 is the magic number.

Hopefully i don't show up as one if those needing engine work.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 69Torino

This is unequivocally the best advice.

Originally Posted by wemay

Based on a big collection of UOAs on one of the Mustang boards, the data showed that Motorcraft sheared down in viscosity quite a bit, like 20~25% in some cases. That's when I switched to Valvoline for that and other reasons.

My stash is so large (Conventional and Synthetic), by the time i get to MC, ILSA GF-6 will probably be out and change the whole game again. Lol.

But Valvoline has been the one constant since my late father used it predominantly.

Originally Posted by ZraHamilton
I am getting ready to change the oil on a 2012 kia sorento with the 2.4L inline-4. It has about 150k miles and my friend who drives it goes up and down a mountain everyday. Engine was rebuilt 20k miles ago. The manual recommends 5w20 OR 5w30 for all temps. I am thinking of getting castrol edge EP and a fram ultra for a 10k OCI. This OCI will extend into the summer months this year. Are there any benefits or downsides to using 5w30 instead of 5w20? Would it run hotter or take longer to get up to operating temp?

5w30 is always the best choice for oil. Never ever any reason, no matter what your manual calls for to use a 5/20 or 0/20 unless maybe, just maybe you live up in Alaska or way up in Canada. :eek:)

Last edited:
I have settled on 5w-30 for GDI engines, even NA ones. Must makes me feel better.

On my sisters MPI 2.4 Santa Fe, I have been using syn xw-20 since I have so much. She had been getting 5w-30 for years at the local oil change place. She has noticed no difference in MPG (she does log it on her phone, so there is a lot of data to compare).

Originally Posted by blupupher
I have settled on 5w-30 for GDI engines, even NA ones. Must makes me feel better.

On my sisters MPI 2.4 Santa Fe, I have been using syn xw-20 since I have so much. She had been getting 5w-30 for years at the local oil change place. She has noticed no difference in MPG (she does log it on her phone, so there is a lot of data to compare).

Yes and she never will notice a difference the thin oil higher mileage is BS.

More protection with 30 is negligible.
Better MPG with 20 is negligible.

But both are statistically correct and proven however small the test results are.

neg·li·gi·ble

/ˈneɡləjəb(ə)l/

adjective

so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.

Recently changed oil in 2013 Kia Optima for friend. OM states 5W20, oil cap has been changed to 5W30. Used Valvoline 5W30. Sticker on windshield had 15,000 mile intervals with bulk oil. Crazy from a quick lube chain. It's a GDI. Lots of carbon.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back