5W20 Not Required for Warranty Coverage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took about 20 minutes on the phone with a warranty person, but I got her to yell out that it doesn't automatically void your warranty.

I think I will call FRPP tomorrow and see what they recommend for extreme conditions ie racing. After all if FRPP parts installed at the Ford Dealer doesnt void your warranty how can following their advice on maintenance?

Gene

quote:

If Ford would offer any test evidence or give any reason why 0W-30 / 5W-30W / 10W-30 is bad for the car I would be more inclined to use 5W-20.

I don't think they have ever said that using a 30wt is bad for your engine, they just seem to recommend that using a 20wt is better. I have never seen the manual for a new Ford, but most just give a recommended oil and a list of acceptable oils for a given temperature. I think the only way that they can void your warranty is if you obviously have neglected your engine.

While it dosen't really help on warranty issues, I wonder what the Chilton or Haynes aftermarket manuals says for oil grades. My '95 F150 manual says to use 10w30 or below 60F I can use 5w30, but the Haynes manual for my truck allows all kinds of grades including 15w40. Seems to me the aftermarket manual is basing the recommendations on actual mechanical considerations, whereas the manufacturer bases them on getting the CAFE fines down to a minimum. We all have seen the EPA letter that they must use, promote, and practically ensure the use of 5w20 merely so they can use it for the CAFE tests.

I'm assuming that this isn't new news, but the use of 5W-20 has a pretty long list of exceptions per the Ford TSB 01-4-7, since everything not recommended is an exception. For instance our 93 Taurus is an exception but the 99 Taurus is not. Others have noted that the use of 5W-20 seemed to hinge on assumed tighter tolerances, but some people working at Ford and Honda weren't aware of any noticeable changes in manufacturing practices that would produce tighter tolerances. So far the use of 5W-20 seems to be recommended soley for increased fleet mileage.

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
I think I will call FRPP tomorrow and see what they recommend for extreme conditions ie racing. After all if FRPP parts installed at the Ford Dealer doesnt void your warranty how can following their advice on maintenance?

Gene

I got the answer and will post a seperate thread to make it easier to find in future searches.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back