5W20 in Chrysler Sebring

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All Hail" to noble "Bitog," the great and powerful!

It's time to change the oil in my wife's 2004 Chrysler Sebring. The problem, however, is my oil stash is over at the family farm 70 miles away and I won't be there for at least a week, maybe ten days.

I've got oodles and oodles of different weights and brands over there, so I am reluctant to simply run around the corner and buy what I already have in abundance, (just not at my current geographic location).

I do however, have in my garage 5, 5 quart jugs of 5W20 and a case of straight 40W. Does the BITOG community approve of using 5W20 in a Chrysler Sebring V-6?

Keep in mind, I'm in Florida and the weather here is in the 60's and 70's. Is this oil too thin to use in said Sebring? Can I perhaps throw in a quart of the 40W to thicken things up a bit?

Granted, I could wait, but the oil changing bug is biting me pretty hard, and I've got a little bit of free time today which I won't have in the weeks ahead.

Like "Lord Hummungus," "I await your answer."

I'd wait and put the right oil in. I have an aversion to going thinner than recommended, especially since you're in Florida.

I'd just wait. Or run and get it. 140 miles worth of gas is cheaper than buying the oil around the corner rather than the basically free (at this point) oil in your stash.

How many miles/months with this oil ? What type of oil is it ?
Depend on oil type, and miles/months of the current oil you can easily wait for few weeks to change it out.

If you are going to mix anything, a straight (IMO) is the most "safe", in that there's no VIIs for it to interact with the other's...very very simple add pack usually...better, IMO, but still not ideal.

My freezer tests mixing mineral SAE30, and synthetic 5W30 DO parallel a semi 10W30, but that's my freezer tests, not industry anything.

You'll end up with a 10(ish)W 30(ish), with probably a stout HTHS depending on blend.

Put what's in the manual, unless you don't really care, then do as thou shalt.

Many answers to your question, perhaps a few too many. Use the weight of oil indicated in your owner's manual. That is the correct answer. I have a 2004 Chrysler T & C van and I use 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer (hot climate - Texas) just as the manual states.

Okay, what gives here.

I had hardly posted my original question when it clouded up and started to rain. It has been raining slow and steady ever since.

As I change my oil in the driveway, the Sebring will have to wait. Since it has to wait, I might as well wait till I'm in "O" town and pick up my 5W30 over there and bring it over here.

Apparently, a mantra has been chanted to the thunder and water gods by "Bitogers" worldwide to keep an unholy oil mixture from being poured into the engine innards of my wifeys ride.

You guys have more power than you realize.

Glad you are waiting not thinking that was the best idea for the car. Not that it woulda imploded or anything. A UOA would have been interesting, especially if you had a previous "normal" base line established.

Agree with those recommending following owners manual. Techincally.

That said I do really doubt it would matter AT ALL so long as you use a decent quality 5w20. But I have nothing to back that up.

Using the 5/20 would be no problem, the following year and beyond the same 2.7 specs that grade. Add a little of the 40 if worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back