5w20 for high mileage Honda?

Howdy folks, I hesitated to post something like this because I’m sure the info is buried in here somewhere. That said, I didn’t find it with a reasonably thorough search. I am about to purchase a 2008 Honda with 170,000 miles on it. It has reasonable pile of service records, the engine bay is clean, and it seems to run well What are good synthetic oil choices for it, I’m assuming something with high mileage additives would be best?

Also, does the OLM system have the ability to determine anything about the quality/nature of the oil? Will it trigger an oil change at the same rate with a semi-synthetic or full synthetic? I know all oils are very good now, if I’m just going to use the OLM to determine when to do oil changes is there any advantage to full synthetic versus semi-synthetic? Is there such thing as a conventional, high mileage 5w20? Thanks, Doug

No, the OLM System does not know the difference between qualities of oils.
Honda’s aren’t particularly fussy when it comes to oil. You’ll most likely get many different opinions on what to use.
IDK if there is a conventional 5w20 high mileage oil but I’m sure there are some in blend & full syn.

I would first try a 5w20 or 5w30 of your particular choosing and go from there especially living where you live and an engine with 170k miles. Then see if you need a high mileage oil.

06 Ridgeline and 05 CRV here. Have used 5w30 and 5w20, non high mileage, on both without issue and without loss of mpg or power. The CRV can use a -40 in Australia, so will be trying that next month when it warms up.

edit: Both purchased with more than 210k miles on. Ridge leaked a bit but needed seals (totalled now by teen); CRV is tight, no leaks.

Between the Hondas we've owned with MMs (05 Odyssey, 06 Accord, 12 Civic, 12 Accord), the oil change timing always varies between oil changes so it's not simply a counter. I've seen it range from 5500 miles up to 8000 miles and I can't really say that our driving habits differed. It is designed/programmed based on conventional oil too. Well, I say that because Honda doesn't specify needing to use a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

and it seems to run well What are good synthetic oil choices for it, I’m assuming something with high mileage additives would be best?
Why would you change anything ?

No, the OLM System does not know the difference between qualities of oils.
Honda’s aren’t particularly fussy when it comes to oil. You’ll most likely get many different opinions on what to use.
IDK if there is a conventional 5w20 high mileage oil but I’m sure there are some in blend & full syn.

I would first try a 5w20 or 5w30 of your particular choosing and go from there especially living where you live and an engine with 170k miles. Then see if you need a high mileage oil.
2nd this. If it burns oil or does something else odd that oil might fix, experiment, if not, just pick something reasonable at a reasonable milage and send it.

Cheap plentiful Valvoline Maxlife 5w20 would be my first bet for synthetic or blend, your choice. If that burns or doesn’t work rock with any Castrol, napa pennzoil etc, just to see if a particular brand doesn’t. Or alternatively bump to 5w30 and do the same no harm done.

Howdy folks, I hesitated to post something like this because I’m sure the info is buried in here somewhere. That said, I didn’t find it with a reasonably thorough search. I am about to purchase a 2008 Honda with 170,000 miles on it. It has reasonable pile of service records, the engine bay is clean, and it seems to run well What are good synthetic oil choices for it, I’m assuming something with high mileage additives would be best?

Also, does the OLM system have the ability to determine anything about the quality/nature of the oil? Will it trigger an oil change at the same rate with a semi-synthetic or full synthetic? I know all oils are very good now, if I’m just going to use the OLM to determine when to do oil changes is there any advantage to full synthetic versus semi-synthetic? Is there such thing as a conventional, high mileage 5w20? Thanks, Doug

Going to all be at least a fairly stout blend now (regardless of the label). To the best of my knowledge you can't meet SP GF-6A in that grade without a healthy slug of GIII or better base. I'm not sure if the '08 in question has a true IOLM or simply a mileage tracker for oil changes. Havoline Lifelong Synthetic (believed to be relabeled Havoline Pro DS HM Synthetic) is available at Walmart for $19.97 per 6 qt Box. If you are not in a part of the country where they stock if you can get it through Walmart.com. There is a 2003 Honda V6 that has 800,000+ mi on 5W-20 on YouTube. If that is a 4 cylinder it should be easy on oil. If it's a V6 w/ VCM I would be conservative with the change intervals.

What model of Honda is it?
- V6 engines of that era take anything and outlast the car and rest of drivetrain. But only if timing belt is replaced at proper intervals.
- 4 cylinder engines do tend to burn oil when 5w20 is used. Also certain models are known for issues with timing chain and related components. Using higher viscosity oil seems to successfully prevent these issues, but won't cure an issue if it's already there. Just a Band-Aid in some cases. Many owners have 0 issues at high mileages, and coincidentally it's usually the same owners that use 30 or 40 grade oil.
- 0W40/5W40 gets my vote, but 5w30 or even 15w40 will do the job just fine, if climate allows.
- 0W20/5W20 is a great choice in cold climate though. By cold I mean temps below freezing for 6 months out of 12.

Last edited:
dvancleve, which engine is in your Accord?
It will be an ‘08 Fit with the 1.5L engine, unless something goes horribly wrong in the next 24 hours 🤓

I believe it is a real OLM system vs a mileage counter like my fams ‘06 Prius had…

I suppose it would require some experimentation to check fuel economy and oil usage, but if 5W-30 would also be good I have two other vehicles that can use that. Nothing else I have specs 5w20…

Thanks, Doug

It will be an ‘08 Fit with the 1.5L engine, unless something goes horribly wrong in the next 24 hours 🤓

I believe it is a real OLM system vs a mileage counter like my fams ‘06 Prius had…

I suppose it would require some experimentation to check fuel economy and oil usage, but if 5W-30 would also be good I have two other vehicles that can use that. Nothing else I have specs 5w20…

Thanks, Doug
Great engine! And great vehicle! I'm always on the lookout for one of those myself. The only thing to watch out for is sudden misfires. Some of these got bad batch of ignition coils from the factory, so if a random misfire occurs, just replace all coil packs. Staying on top of valve adjustment is also important, as nearly every other Honda from 90s until now. Lack of valve adjustment leads to burnt valves. Otherwise Fit is a pretty reliable and efficient unit, with tons of interior space.
5w30 will serve you well. Use with confidence.

Last edited:

Thanks, Doug
Vladiator has some good advice. Is it a MT? concentrate on changing that trans fluid every year or two depending on mileage racked up or when the shifts get balky. Use HONA trans fluid only.
The other concern would be front struts and LCA bushings as they were a bit under spec'd.

I owned a 2011 Sport assembled right after the disaster. It should get very good fuel mileage.

That L15A7 FIT engine, which is a true VTEC engine, is used with little modification in U.S. Formula F racing

honda L15A7 race.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts, guys 👍 With the Pennzoil platinum rebate just starting, it seems like it will be pretty hard to beat two 5qt jugs of either Ultra or high mileage. Is Ultra better overall than high mileage (because it’s cheaper right now)? OTOH, the $6 difference for 2 isn’t going to kill me 😆 I understand manufactures recommending thinner and thinner oil for a fuel economy, but am I likely to see any difference between 5w20 and 5w30? If the answer is no/probably not, I can use 5w30 in my Volt and my turbo Subaru (I typically run heavier oil than that one though). Since there appears to be a limit of two per household, maybe my smart move is two jugs of 5w20 high mileage platinum and two jugs of 5w30 Ultra…. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is Ultra better overall than high mileage (because it’s cheaper right now)? OTOH, the $6 difference for 2 isn’t going to kill me 😆 I can use 5w30 in my Volt and my turbo Subaru (I typically run heavier oil than that one though). Since there appears to be a limit of two per household, maybe my smart move is two jugs of 5w20 high mileage platinum and two jugs of 5w30 Ultra… Thanks!
Any thoughts on Ultra Platinum vs high mileage Platinum and/or 5w20 vs 5w30 in the 172K miles '08 Fit that I now own?
Also, with this type of OLM and no intention of running longer OCIs that it indicates, is there really any reason for "better" than semi-syn oil and a Fram OCOD? Obviosuly, if I can get Ultra Platinum for less than Maxlife that makes sense, but otherwise... Thanks again :^)

Last edited:
Back