You do not have to use Motorcraft
smile.gif

There are several good 5w50 oils out there besides MC, including:
M1 5w50
Redline 5w50
QSUD 5w50
Amalie 5w50

There is also Eneos 0w50

In fact, the Amalie 5w50 is so popular that it is sold out right now, so stock up while you can. About $83 for the case of 12.

Amalie's 5w50 is back in stock! One seller on Amazon has the case of 12 for $86

And better yet, Amalie even makes a synthetic blend 5w50 for only $55 for the case of 12
smile.gif

Do not use any other 5W-50 than the recommended Motorcraft.

Motorcraft 5W-50 data sheet

Motorcraft 5W-50 KV100 = 21.0 cSt
Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 KV100 = 17.5 cSt
Castrol Edge Supercar 5W-50 KV100 = 17.1 cSt

Motorcraft is 20 - 23% thicker than the other too, which is a huge difference in viscosity.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Oil_Film, you're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. I think you're failing to understand that their is no stamp of approval from Ford here. Rather, Ford publishes minimum (ASTM) specs and its up to the oil company to ensure the oil meets those specs. So you either believe Amsoil, or you don't (i.e. you think they're lying). Sounds like you have an axe to grind with Amsoil (you gave it away by saying that Amsoil is irrelevant now because of M1 AP and Ravenol).

Hilarious! Way off. You don't understand this: No SN, No WSS-M2C931-C. Disqualifying Amsoil in Ford's warranty dept. eyes, THE ONLY VIEW THAT COUNTS for warranty claims. Anybody who has a new Ford hot-rod would like to keep the warranty intact, as the OP has said. All you and Pablo's philosophizing and dumb argments about Amsoil's lack of approvals means nothing in a warranty context.

As for any Amsoil fan-boy bias, nope. Not here. Fully neutral. And yes, there are alternatives to Amsoil. Other high-end oils are available. I thought we all knew that, but you apparently struggle with basic concepts, including the basic concept of 3rd party approval and certifications and their role.

If the Amsoil 5W-50 meets the Ford spec then why don't they say so? Do they have to pay for testing to prove to Ford that it meets the Ford spec so they can print the claim?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Motorcraft is 20 - 23% thicker than the other too, which is a huge difference in viscosity.

That doesn't mean it's any more shear-stable than the others. And as noted in an earlier post in this thread, Castrol Supercar is specifically mentioned by Ford, and they have plenty of experience working together.

Also, Red Line 5w50 is also listed as 21.0 cSt KV100

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
You don't understand this: No SN, No WSS-M2C931-C.

Does WSS-M2C931-C actually require, as part of the testing parameters, to ensure that the API Donut is bought and paid for first?

Hilarious! Way off. You don't understand this: No SN, No WSS-M2C931-C. Disqualifying Amsoil in Ford's warranty dept. eyes, THE ONLY VIEW THAT COUNTS for warranty claims. Anybody who has a new Ford hot-rod would like to keep the warranty intact, as the OP has said. All you and Pablo's philosophizing and dumb argments about Amsoil's lack of approvals means nothing in a warranty context.

I think you’re off base here and I think you’re making assumptions without knowing all the facts. So are you saying that Amsoil voids any warranty requiring “API SN” because it doesn’t have the official donut trademark?

Again, this Ford spec isn’t an “approval” like BMW or MB. That’s a completely different subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Here is the actual 100°C vis, per the WSS-M2C931-C specification: "Viscosity @ 100 °C (ASTM D445), mm2/s, 16.3 -
Not sure where you are coming from there.

So I use the Motorcraft 5W50 on my Track Pack. I really wanted to try the Castrol Supercar 5W50 but even after contacting Ford AND Castrol, none can give me a way to get it. We will never see the new GTs at my dealer since we didn't pay the ransom to be a servicing dealer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So I use the Motorcraft 5W50 on my Track Pack. I really wanted to try the Castrol Supercar 5W50 but even after contacting Ford AND Castrol, none can give me a way to get it. We will never see the new GTs at my dealer since we didn't pay the ransom to be a servicing dealer.
Dude, you're in Santa Barbara, people can afford Ford GT's there, of all places. Why is your dealer not supporting those local spoiled rich folk?
Might be the ONLY way to get it is to get one of the many Ford dealerships out there, who are selling-servicing Ford GT's, to ship some to you.
I've seen that with Mazda oil before, might work here too.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Dude, you're in Santa Barbara, people can afford Ford GT's there, of all places. Why is your dealer not supporting those local spoiled rich folk?
Might be the ONLY way to get it is to get one of the many Ford dealerships out there, who are selling-servicing Ford GT's, to ship some to you.
I've seen that with Mazda oil before, might work here too.

The list of requirements was huge. You have to have a dedicated lift for GTs. Also each dealer has to have a concierge, which they said would have been me, that any GT owner could call 24/7 and you would have to go to them with a dedicated Super Duty and enclosed trailer to pick the car up and take to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back