5W-30 too thick for winter in BMW n26?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all.

I have a 2016 328i xDrive with the n26 engine.

After my break-in I did a drain and fill using Castrol EDGE 5W-30 (rated for BMW Longlife-01). Link here (https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03037.../dp/B0161A4CKG). I also attached the specs, from the Castrol site.

The engine calls for a new 0W-20 LL-14 FE+ oil, but no one but BMW sells this oil. I also read reports of dealerships simply putting in 5W-30 when they do the "free" maintenance oil changes. I don't think I read of a single dealership actually using the new 0W-20 LL-14 FE+ oil (at least not yet). Plus, the n20 came out in 2012 and was spec'd to take 5W30 LL-01 (or maybe LL-01 FE, I can't tell as people seem to be using these two names interchangeably in the web). Anyway, the n26 is simply a SULEV version of the n20 (it has an extra cat on the exhaust manifold and a charcoal filter on the intake).

So I thought I was good to go, but now I'm doubting my decision:
1 -- We don't normally get real cold winters, but this year has been a big exception -- it is getting down into the teens and staying there. I took my digital thermometer and measured the snow at 5 degrees (which is what the oil pan essentially resting on when I park in a lot full of snow). I'm a worried that I'm doing premature damage to my engine (at start up) by using a 5W oil in such cold temperatures and I'm considering putting a 0W-20 or 0W-30 in.
2 -- I *just* realized that LL-01 and LL-01 FE are not the same. The manual calls for LL-14 FE+ or LL-01 FE. And I accidentally put in "regular" LL-01 (the 5W-30 Castrol). The strange part is, from what I can tell, LL-01 seems better since LL-01 FE has a lower HTHS viscosity.

Uggg... My head is about to explode.

Questions:
1 -- Do I need to be worried about running LL-01, without the FE designation? I'm guessing not. The "FE" seems to lower the performance/protection of the oil in exchange for higher fuel economy.
2 -- I'm freaking out about running a 5W oil in the car with such cold temps. Will I damage my car if temps drop to 12F, or so (and I do a cold start)?
3 -- There are not a lot of Longlife-01 FE oils out there, and even fewer that are 0W-20 or 0W-30. And I'm guessing what I am finding is special order -- meaning a wait time. If I wanted to change to a 0W-20 soon, do you think I'll be safe to run down the parts store and put Mobile 1 full synthetic 0W-30 -- without the longlife-01 designation? I plan on changing the oil every 5K, so I don't know how important "longlife" really is. I'm not going to do a 10-15K mile OCI recommended by BMW since I do a lot of short trips around town and my car barely gets warmed up, quite often.

Thanks for all the help,

-Nathan

Today was the coldest day I have ever seen at 10 degrees. That is 10w territory. Heck my Harley didn't notice a 15w40 with weather in the 20s. Run the oil and be happy.

Last edited:
Thanks.

What had me asking too, was that I put a sample of 0W-20 and 5w-30 in my freezer -- at 18F. I could see the viscosity differences for sure. The 5W was definitely thicker, slower to move, and wouldn't certainly wouldn't lubricate as fast. I'm just a noob, but I'm thinking thinner is better, on a cold winter day, right? I'd think that split seconds would count, when it comes to engine wear.

A film sheet that's already on the metal surface from the last shut down is faster than thin oil coming from the oil pan. How much of a residual film sheet you got with 0W-20 ?

There are only 5 degrees centigrade of difference between the two. 0w is good down to minus 40 where 5w is only good down to minus 35.

How cold do you expect it to get? And, what type of oil pump do you have?

Ive run conventional 5w30 and started it down to -25 F and never an issue. You are perfectly fine with a 5w30. I think the difference is when you hit zero and below but Id bet Id have a hard time proving it but I do find starting easier once below 0 using a 0w oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NathanC
Thanks.

What had me asking too, was that I put a sample of 0W-20 and 5w-30 in my freezer -- at 18F. I could see the viscosity differences for sure. The 5W was definitely thicker, slower to move, and wouldn't certainly wouldn't lubricate as fast. I'm just a noob, but I'm thinking thinner is better, on a cold winter day, right? I'd think that split seconds would count, when it comes to engine wear.

Well, I started my BMW with 5W30 few days ago at -31. Still works.
LL-14FE is oil made to increase MPG and help 40e and new 530e with operation. I wouls tick to LL-01, something like Castrol 0W40.

Originally Posted By: NathanC
Awesome; thanks for all the replies guys. Puts my mind at ease.

5W30 will work until -40 to -45. No worries about that temperature in Northwest. Also, let's say hypothetically it is -45 outside, if your car is in garage, it changes everything. My car is always in garage, and even when it is -30 outside, temperature in garage rarely drops below 32.
I ski a lot so car sees a lot of cold temps, but never had an issue.
Personally, I would move from BMW 5W30 to Castrol 0W40. Also, 0W40 will do better in cold once temp goes below -20, but you will not see that Northwest.

This winter has been crazy here in Portland. You will be fine with the 5W-30 in your bimmer. Do you know if they put in their LL-01 (83212365946) or LL-04 (83212365949 ) 5W-30 oils? They have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back