5w-30 for Turbo GDI

Suggestions? Going in a Hyundai 1.6T. Use what the dealer uses? (QS Bulk 5w-30)? Here is my apparent "choices" in Viscosity, but I know if goes way further than that.
IMG_2838.PNG

Even though I haven't seen/heard of a rash of 1.6T failures, I'd want a good full synthetic 5w40 and synth media filter. Be glad you don't have a theta-ii.

I wouldn't even consider a conventional/bulk oil with a turbo.

I would pick PP over the ultra because it has dexos 1.2, ms-13340, and api sp

all 3 are specs are relevant to TGDI engines.

IIRC it also has acea a5
Correct on all counts, PP also has the old Honda/Acura HTO-06 approval. It’s what I use in my Jeep 2L turbo.

Last edited:
This stupid company still did not figured out that there is no such thing as ACEA A5 or above. Amazing!
Get Mobil1 ESP 5W30 on sale at NAPA. You hardly can go better than that.
Alphabetically or numerically, would B/C/D or 6, 7,8 be above? So, ACEA C1-C5 and E4-E9 would be 'above'?

And yes, Hyundai/Kia techwriters are pathetic. But, they gave the 1.6T some real grade choices. Hyundai lets owners use these too:

Oh the humanity... might have to buy one of these 1.6T's just to use 20w50

If I were you
1. Good synthetic 5w30 (api sp)
2. M1 ESP 5w30 when it goes on sale - it’s a real deal oil
3. Or go to the w40 world - M1, Castrol 0w40 are darn good and cheap these days

Even though I haven't seen/heard of a rash of 1.6T failures, I'd want a good full synthetic 5w40 and synth media filter. Be glad you don't have a theta-ii.

I wouldn't even consider a conventional/bulk oil with a turbo.
I don't even think the dealer uses conventional. Even my 2.4l NA had syn 5w-30 put in it at change time.

I have a Tucson 1.6T we run Valvoline advanced or Modern Engine 5w30 mostly. Pick oils that are SN+ or SP and have low calcium to prevent LSPI.
There are several good synthetic 5w30s that will work perfectly well. I have also Ran PP 0w40 SN+ that can sometimes be found at menards.
The key is changing the oil every 3-4K miles in this engine as being TGDI it’s fairly hard on the oil.

5-30 is probably good for you without knowing the climate you are in. Also the easiest to find.

Does the dealer change yours or a shop? If you can do your own you can get better oil and filters as someplace like Walmart.

Any Good lower Calcium add pack Syn oil will work well.

Alphabetically or numerically, would B/C/D or 6, 7,8 be above? So, ACEA C1-C5 and E4-E9 would be 'above'?

And yes, Hyundai/Kia techwriters are pathetic. But, they gave the 1.6T some real grade choices. Hyundai lets owners use these too:

Oh the humanity... might have to buy one of these 1.6T's just to use 20w50
No. A sequence is gasoline engines, higher SAPS. B sequence are old diesel sequences. C is newer, Lower SAPS sequences (A3 and C3 are HTHS compatible, but differentiate in SAPS). E is commercial sequence.
A3 are more stringent sequence than A5. Castrol Edge 0W30, 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 etc. are A3, and you ain't gonna find A5 oils offering protection, especially for turbo engines like those oils.

Suggestions? Going in a Hyundai 1.6T. Use what the dealer uses? (QS Bulk 5w-30)? Here is my apparent "choices" in Viscosity, but I know if goes way further than that.View attachment 42393

If a am given the option of using an Xw-50 I would personally consider using something like Mobil 1 5w-50. Otherwise a 0w40 like that from Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Mobil 1 should work well or a PCMO 5w40 from one of those brands.

5-30 is probably good for you without knowing the climate you are in. Also the easiest to find.

Does the dealer change yours or a shop? If you can do your own you can get better oil and filters as someplace like Walmart.

Any Good lower Calcium add pack Syn oil will work well.
Climate is Arkansas. Mild winters, 95*+ summers. Right now dealer changing under the 3 year “free” change plan, but I’m sneaking in a change at the half way point.

I have a higher output version of the 1.6T in my Elantra Sport. Right now, I'm using this oil in the Audi and Elantra in my signature.
Castrol Edge A3 Euro 5W30. Got it at Walmart. Used oil buckled in to be disposed of properly by taking it back to the Walmart Auto center.

IMG_0223.jpeg

Back