5w-20 in Older Engine? Ford 7.5L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1985 Ford F-250 with a carbureted 460 V-8 that's become my daily driver for the next couple months. I purchased it in May and have run 15w-40 HDEO or SAE30 over the last several thousand miles. Now that temps have begun to get into the teens and soon to be single digits at night, it's time to find something thinner.

Not being fuel injected, it takes several seconds of cranking to get the engine fired up in extreme cold. It's clear the starter is not as happy when temps drop below about 15 degrees. My goal is to ease cranking (battery & electrical are fine), lessen cold start wear, and maybe gain some fuel economy.

The owners manual recommends practically any grade from straight 10W, all the way to 20w-50 depending on expected ambient temp. 10w-30/10w-40 are shown as the "all-season" oils, acceptable for 0F and up. 5w-20 & 5w-30 are shown as the cold weather viscosities for temps below 0, up to 60F. I suspect that 5w-20 will do better in cold and offer slightly better gas mileage.

That said, I've never run 5w-20 in any of my vehicles. I'm aware there's a sort of stigma against 5w-20 in older engines, but I don't suppose Ford would have listed that as an acceptable grade if it would cause problems.

My commute is 60 miles each way, so I can certainly use every last bit of fuel economy I can muster up. Truck has 100k miles and doesn't use / leak significant amounts of oil. It seeps some past old seals (rear main most likely), but I can't recall adding more than 1 quart in 3k miles. I'll be towing at least twice in the next couple months, but nothing too heavy that will stress the engine. I can't really think of anything that might make 5w-20 a poor choice. What do you think, is this a good / bad idea, or anything I'm missing?

Because of the flat tappet cam, I had QS Defy 5w-20 in mind, with a pint of STP Oil Treatment for a little extra ZDDP. QS Defy should be a heavy 20 weight if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Because of the flat tappet cam, I had QS Defy 5w-20 in mind, with a pint of STP Oil Treatment for a little extra ZDDP. QS Defy should be a heavy 20 weight if I'm not mistaken.

The best way to wipe out that camshaft (besides filling the crankcase up with transmission fluid) is to run 5W-20 oil in the engine. But you already knew that - you're probably tired of the old truck - time to get a new one right?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The best way to wipe out that camshaft (besides filling the crankcase up with transmission fluid) is to run 5W-20 oil in the engine. But you already knew that - you're probably tired of the old truck - time to get a new one right?

I don't buy that for a second. There are endless examples of vehicles over the years with flat tappet cams that ran on good old 20W oil, before multi-grades became the norm. Nearly all modern 30 weights are just a smidgen of shearing away from being a 20 weight anyways.

I don't know if that was just a poor attempt at humor, but if I wanted a new truck, I'd go buy one-- and worry less about preserving the one I have.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
My commute is 60 miles each way, so I can certainly use every last bit of fuel economy I can muster up.

If your commute were 6 blocks each way in the winter, I'd say go for it. But, with a 60 mile commute, I'd go with a 5w-30. If you're worried about ZDDP, leaks, or anything similar, stick with Defy or MaxLife. I loved MaxLife in the F-150, at least with respect to leaks and shear due to fuel dilution when the carb was on its way out.

You're probably going to get more fuel in the oil in winter with the carb, so I'd run a 5W30. I think the 20 would be cool to try though. I wouldn't worry too much about ZDDP, as SN levels are fine for your BB Ford's mild cam/springs. If you feel better with more, I think Defy in the 5W30 flavor would be the way to go or if you can find it, I scored a few 5qt jugs of Maxlife Nexgen on closeout at Walmart for $9 +/- a jug.

I'd stick with 5W30. If you want to go synthetic, Mobil 1 0w30 or 0W40 should be fine.

http://www.ford-cruising.hu/miscimages/0219.pdf

"Approved For SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil: 1993-1998 7.5L All Vehicles"

Of course, that's just an official document from Ford. What do they know, right?
smirk.gif

I use 5-20 in my ford. Its on the 5 20 list from ford. The oil pressure is the same with 5 30. I also towed thousands of pounds in very hot city traffic for thousands of km with it in. Seems just fine to me. Im going to keep using it until I sell the truck in the future.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
I know nothing from 1985 is included on that list...

So, you have two choices here.

A. Ford made across the board changes in their entire light truck engine line (4.9, 5.0, 5.8, 7.5) for 1993 with negates the usage of 5w-20 in earlier models.
B. There's another reason that Ford selected 1993 as the beginning model year for a lighter engine oil.

Or, as opposed to two choices about Ford's thinking, there are two things one can think about oneself. 1) Have 5w-30 and 10w-30 disappeared off the shelf and become unobtainable? 2) Have 5w-30 and 10w-30 been priced out of contention?

If the answer to those is "no," then there's no reason to bother with going lighter. The desire to switch was for fuel economy. The difference in fuel economy between a 5w-30 and a 5w-20 will not be measurable by those of us without labs and bench testing equipment.

@92saturnsl2: By the way, forget the STP garbage. It'll dilute your ZDDP content, rather than enhance it. I demonstrated the calculations ages ago in the VOA section.

*Will your oil pressure be ok with 20 grade at full operating temp?

Mileage in that vehicle will not make any noticeable difference between a 20 or 30 grade so go with your gut on that one.
Going with a 0w30 would be my recommendation, it will be a 20 at full temp and give easier cold starts.

Mobil 1 5w30 HM also a good choice for the higher zddp count,a bit more robust add pack,but only if you want seal conditioners in.

Keep us updated on your results of whatever you choose.

I'm not sure I see what the hangup is here? He's got OEM manual information indicating that 20 grade oils are suitable for use in the weather conditions he intends to operate in. In fact I fully intend on using a 20 grade in my 351M powered Ford truck this winter when I get around to changing it's oil.

If his oil temps never get above 180* or so then it's already as thick or thicker than any 30 grade at 212*. I think too many people forget about the oil temp/viscosity relationship works. What if in his weather conditions, the 30 grade that he puts in never exceeds 160*? Then his oil is thicker than any 50 grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back