5W-20 in a 2013 Mustang GT? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Wow. I go away for a few days and look what this turned into.

12 pages and 117 replies - and counting.

Must be a hot topic. HA-HA !

In the mean time, I put about 1,000 miles on the new Mustang.

;-)

LOL - good for you! Better to be out driving that nice car than attending the 5W-20 mud slinging contest
crackmeup2.gif

19.gif

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Wow. I go away for a few days and look what this turned into.

12 pages and 117 replies - and counting.

Must be a hot topic. HA-HA !

In the mean time, I put about 1,000 miles on the new Mustang.

;-)

Gotta ask...were you on the Power Tour?
smile.gif

Since this thread is about the 5 liter Ford engine correct me if Im wrong. Does not the GT Mustang with the track pack specify 5w 50w oil? Im pretty sure it does and this is the exact same engine as the regular GT gets.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Since this thread is about the 5 liter Ford engine correct me if Im wrong. Does not the GT Mustang with the track pack specify 5w 50w oil? Im pretty sure it does and this is the exact same engine as the regular GT gets.

Yes it does and it just proves that Ford specs 5w20 for Cafe and Cafe only. There have been several 5.0's spinning bearings lately.

Originally Posted By: moosestang
Originally Posted By: nomochevys

Yes it does and it just proves that Ford specs 5w20 for Cafe and Cafe only. There have been several 5.0's spinning bearings lately.

you have an odd definition of "proof". Let me translate this into English: "I'm going to take this fact and pretend it demonstrates what I already believe. See, PROOF!".

It appears to me that the oil spec is more related to "suitability of conditions" vs. "CAFE"; but maybe that's just me...

ford probably predicts this engine will see quite a bit of time at higher RPM. I forget where I watched the lecture, but basically, what it boiled down to, what that the higher the RPM, the THINNER the oil you need to maintain the proper film on the bearings. This is why high rpm japanese drag bikes hold up better (during drag racing) using a 0w oil, vs the factory recommended 10w40. Clearances come into play as well, but i doubt you will have any problems with 5 20. Im sure ford built these engines right. lately, they have got that down for sure. The only thing i would try to do, is find the best 5 20 oil with a good amount of zinc in it.

Last edited:
did you read that torture test? run it hard and pump ice water into it?? that is one tough mutha or is it the alum contract less? what about all the fasteners impressive. also that 100 hour/week test

but yes, oil cooler + big sump would go a long way to fight thinning

Quote:
Consideration was given to an external oil cooler, but ultimately it was decided not to penalize all Coyote buyers for the occasional antics of a miniscule fraction of owners.

also deleting it will save $ millions per 100,000 built

The way i read it is this- when they say "We decided not to penalize all coyote owners for the antics of a few" what i see is "we decided not to lose out on all of our CAFE credits when we realized we could just program the ecu not to let 5w20 get hot enough to be dangerously thin, or spend the money on an oil cooler for each unit" i love ford, but i know marketing strategy when i see it.

The argument that only 20w works is bunk, as 50w clearly works. Its the 5wXX that matters on all Ford motors, not the hot weight. The difference between cold 0w or 5w and cold 10w,15w and 20w is much higher than the difference between hot 20-50w. So the common sense thing to do here is pick a 0w or 5w cold weight oil with an operating viscosity appropriate for your intended uses. Why cant we just accept this reality instead of arguing over reccomendations which are made almost entirely to prevent idiots from putting something way wrong in there like 20w50 in the winter. And because they are legally obligated to claim the 20w oil is required or they lose their CAFE credits.

Seriously though. We're supposed to be here to learn and make our own judgements. Show me one case of a Ford Mod v8 of any style that was killed by using any 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40, or 5w50. Just one. I know of several gt500s owned by old guys that have 5w50 and a cooler and probably never see operating temp but a few times a summer and get lots of short trips. Where are there issues from thick oil?

Look up the clearances, they are the same as any other 5.4 and those are only .0005 tighter than a 302. The mod motor head design does need a thinner oil, yes, but its the cold rating that matters. People forget how much thicker cold oil is than hot even in multigrade form.

Last edited:
I plan on continuing to use 5W-20 in my wife's new to her 2017 Mustang GT Premium convertible, the same oil I had stashed for her 2011 Mustang V6 that got wrecked & totaled recently. Which is one remaining sump fill of Havoline Pro DS full syn and a bunch of QSUD. I just don't plan to use Motorcraft oil filters, I'll use up the stash of oil filters I had for her V6 Mustang.

I think if Ford engineers spend billions of $$$$ on research about the oil to be used in the Mustang's engine, who are you to second guess them?
I KNOW why Ford spec'd 5W20 in my trucks engine. It was originally spec'd 5W30, then in 2000 Ford was following CAFE's recommendation to use 5W20 for better gas mileage. And, in all of the years the 4.2V6 was produced the clearances and tolerances were NEVER changed. So, I kept using 5W30 when I felt like it. Also, it's a 90* conventional V6, not a modular engine, like yours.
I am currently using a 0W40, which is way beyond a 5W20-30 spec. I have always experimented with different wt. oils in my engine and found my engine likes this oil A LOT! It's much quieter and is getting better gas mileage (0.5 mpg better). With almost 150K miles on my engine, I think I have found my "FOREVER" oil.
Is your engine the COYOTE 5.0? If so, it has all those overhead cams, correct? With that said, isn't it recommended specifically to ONLY use a 5W20 for these cams? Also, does Ford recommend a 5W30 in the GT if you race it, then drain it and install a 5W20?
21.gif

My wife's GT OM says nothing about changing oil weight for track days nor towing. It does advise premium fuel when towing but otherwise regular with 87 minimum (R+M/2) octane rating.

She was on a business trip earlier this week so I was driving her car spiritedly around town the past couple of days on regular 87 and dealership 5W-20. So far it's done everything I've asked of it. My only complaint is a common one with vehicles, the factory tires ate sub-optimal. These Pirelli's tend to break loose before grabbing no matter how warm when launching hard from a dead stop, with all traction controls enabled. As usual I can't hardly wait to wear out the factory tires so they can be upgraded.

Last edited:
The 2018 Mustang GT owner's manual specs 5W-30 for track use. The Boss 302 (a hotter 5.0 Coyote) manual speced 5W-50 for the track. Maybe the 2018 has a better oil cooler and Ford determined 5W-30 is fine for track use.

A guy on YouTube was using 5W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance in his 2015 Mustang GT on the track and he said the oil temp always stayed in the green zone, so apparently the coolant-to-oil cooler works well on the 2015+ Coyote.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
My wife's GT OM says nothing about changing oil weight for track days nor towing. It does advise premium fuel when towing but otherwise regular with 87 minimum (R+M/2) octane rating.

That's why I asked. I read it on the internet, and you know what they say about the internet.........
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/3DZbSlkFoSU?list=RD3DZbSlkFoSU[/video]

I found this reply to an OCI video in the comments section below the video, on a 2011-2017 GT Mustang.

Kara G
6 months ago
CJ guys, I noticed the oil cap says 5w-20, I am just curious why you guys went with 5w-30 oil. If there is any reason, just wondering, thanks!

Kevin R.
Kevin R.
2 months ago
It was either sponsored or for example in my case i just recently got an 18 gt and on the owners manual it states that if going to the Track change your oil to 5-30 and when done, switch back to 5-20. page 279

Running a 5W-30 in a Coyote even on the street isn't going to hurt anything. Also running a good 5W-20 for even spirited street driving isn't going to hurt either since the Coyote has a good oil cooler.

The change to 5W-30 for track use is detailed in the 2018 OM. Also under Driving Aids there's a mode selection for Drag Strip as well as Track.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...;userMarket=USA

Since I don't foresee our 2017 seeing either mode it's not an issue for us, even if it's made retroactive to the 2017 MY. No way my wife would track or drag her car, and if I did while she's away and something happened I'd never hear the end of it. If I was going to track or drag a car, it most likely wouldn't be a street legal vehicle.

This stuff is hilarious. Change your 5w-20 to 5w-30 for track use. When you leave the track switch back to 5w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back