5W-20 in a 2013 Mustang GT? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If the engineers are willing to GIVE me the Mustang, then I'll run their 5W-20.
If I'm paying for the car with my own money, I'll be running 10W-30 in it.

I agree with what this guy says. Brilliant post; couldn't have said it better myself.

He's also banned.

Thankfully.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
OKAY, the 5W20 is thinner to get into the places better than a 5W30 can?
21.gif

Both are going to flow about the same when cold due to the "5W" rating. When both are hot, they are both way thinner than when they were cold, so both will "get into places" real easily.

CAFE drives the automakers in the USA to use the thinnest oil possible on the public road, and that's why they will say use a thicker oil for the track and then "change it back" to thin for the public road. It's part of their agreement with CAFE to use words in the owner's manual to try and make people use the thinner oils as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
OKAY, the 5W20 is thinner to get into the places better than a 5W30 can?
21.gif

Both are going to flow about the same when cold due to the "5W" rating. When both are hot, they are both way thinner than when they were cold, so both will "get into places" real easily.

CAFE drives the automakers in the USA to use the thinnest oil possible on the public road, and that's why they will say use a thicker oil for the track and then "change it back" to thin for the public road. It's part of their agreement with CAFE to use words in the owner's manual to try and make people use the thinner oils as much as possible.

Hmmmm.........give me time to think up a response. I'm sure whatever it will be will not suffice. But, I'm thinking.
thumbsup2.gif

What about a straight 20 wt.?

... What about a straight 20 wt.?
Might hypothetically work ok in a modern xW-20 engine in mild weather, but would not be so great for warm-up fuel economy. Can I still buy it somewhere?

But won't satisfy Ford warranty requirements, oil meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C945-A is specified in OM. Redline only shows "Recommended for" and "Suitable Replacement For" that spec. So, I'll consider it in another 6 years /98K miles, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously! I would run a good syn like M1 for this though...

Regular Mobil 1 Full Synthetic has HTHS = 2.75 which is pretty good for a 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back