5w-20; Ford 4.6L engines; UOA testing

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I feel like you are trying too hard to make some black and white conclusion here. The vehicles have drastically different miles on the engines, driven by 2 different people, potentially different previous service history, different driving routes (even if they are similar). This 1 UOA hasn't proved anything beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Again, this is MACRO data driven.

All those variables (time, miles, use, environment, etc) are already taken into account in macro data. My macro data comes from 4.6L engines all over this country, in all manner of use such as daily drivers, taxis, police vehicles, grocery getters, highway cruisers, etc. In all manner of temps such as FL, AK, MN, TX, etc. Using everything from cheap dino oils to boutique high-end syns. You, and others, seem to want to discount the validity of the data, because you don't understand the nature of macro data analysis.

Different driving routes? Seriously? Did you not read my description of use? My wife and I drive from home to the same area of Indy to work. It's a 31 mile trip one-way. Once we exit the interstate, she goes east for less than 2 miles with a few stops. I go west about 3 miles with a few stops. If you believe that the variance here is enough to cause disparity in an OCI, that there is enough difference to cause a statistical variation outside of standard deviation, you are, frankly, crazy. On the days my wife works at home occasionally, I take her car to my work to even out the miles. How much "difference" do you REALLY believe exists here? This isn't a white-coat clean-room lab experiment here; it's REAL LIFE. And if it is your contention that this minor driving difference actually makes a difference in a UOA, then what would be you position to ever compare/contrast any two UOAs ever posted in the history of BITOG? In fact, given your apparent penchant for the need for EXACT SAME conditions, how could even the same car, UOA'd over and over, ever be studied? Can you assure us all that even one single vehicle which has multiple UOAs has had the EXACT same driving route every single time? (Like they never, ever deviated to the golf course, or the doctor's office, or the hospital?) Using the exact same fuel source? With the exact same traffic loading? And the exact same rain/snow/sun/temps every single day of the OCI? Etc? Come on .... you're wanting to nit-pick something that is ridiculous, and goes to show your ignorance of what macro data is all about. Different service history and accumulated miles? Not as much as you'd think.

The wear rates tell the story here; the wear rates are very similar, to the extent they can be called statistically "same" (within one standard deviation). The wear rates are telling us that DESPITE the differences in use/drivers/miles/fuel/lube and amount of McD's fries spilled on the carpet annually, they are wearing "same as".

Maybe you'd also like to question the weight differential between myself and my wife? After all, loading is a factor too, right? I'll let you ask her how much she weighs ...

Read this:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/
Micro analysis looks at one specific entity, and lets data develop as inputs affect it. An example of this would be doing a series of UOAs on one engine, using a consistent brand/grade of lube, with reasonably consistent usage patterns. As much as practical, all inputs (lube, fuel, filtration, UOA sample cycle, etc) are held constant (or with minimal change), so that we can see the natural development of information. We do this to establish ranges and allow for any trends to develop. Over time, this methodology can be used to decide which product or process excels over another for any single specific application. It is very important to note that even when experiencing extremely consistent conditional and resource inputs, there is variation, even when the process is in control. We need a great deal of data from this single source to well define what is average and normal; it takes much time, money and patience to get there.

Macro analysis looks at not one entity, but all those in a desired grouping, and models not the individual effects, but rather details or predicts the behavior (results) of the mass population reaction to changing conditions (multiple inputs). Here, we can look at a large group of UOAs that represent a piece of equipment (engine, gearbox, differential, transmission, etc.) from different points of origin, and seek out what is “normal” across a broad base of applications. This approach is frequently used; it is predominant in the development of many products, from medical trials, to common electronics, to appliances, to automobiles, to consumable items like toothpaste and drinking water. The list is nearly endless as to how macro analysis can be applied. And as long as the precepts and limitations are understood, proper conclusions can be made. Macro analysis comes much quicker because multiple sources are accepted. Caution must be given, however, to make sure that illogical conclusions are not drawn, based upon false presumptions, or in confusing correlation with causation.

The point is that MACRO DATA takes into account all the typical variation of daily events in REAL LIFE. All your objections are already accounted for, sir.

These two UOAs prove beyond any doubt that they exhibited statistically normal response, despite the differences in lubes (cheap house brand dino and a brand-name syn). The conclusion drawn is valid: while we cannot state that either lube did "better" than the other, we can surely state that neither lube did "better" than the other.

That you, and some others, don't understand this distinction does not make it any less true.

Last edited:
So let me take a step back here and see if i understand your conclusion then. It's that in this case, with this engine, driving style, climate, synthetic did not out perform the dino. Correct?

I cannot agree or disagree with you, because I don't know how you are going to define "out perform". Does "out perform" mean a noticed shift of 10%? 35%? 200%?

I am more specific in my definitions and statements. I do statistical process quality control and cost/benefit analysis for a living. I define "better" (or whatever similar term one could use) as being outside of normal expected variation. Using statistical sigma nodes as delineation, can something alter a measurable characteristic in a manner which is both identifiable and controllable? This may be applied with either micro or macro analysis, depending upon source and target group.

In my OCIs here ...
The synthetic lube, in these UOAs, did not alter wear rates outside of "normal" expected variation using macro analysis.
The dino lube, in these UOAs, did not alter wear rates outside of "normal" expected variation using macro analysis.
And neither was anywhere near condemnation, meaning that we don't know the true ROI for either; we only know that the artificial limit imposed (10k miles) did not create a condition to exert either product past it's performance potential.

I'll quote myself yet again, given these conditions, using macro analysis:
The conclusion drawn is valid: while we cannot state that either lube did "better" than the other, we can surely state that neither lube did "better" than the other.
Or in layman's terms, they did the same job.
One just did it for less cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
What does your MACRO stand for? And by VARIATION do you mean metrological variation as defined by metrological standards or a literary one?

Allow me to quote myself, yet again ...

Read this:

Micro analysis looks at one specific entity, and lets data develop as inputs affect it. An example of this would be doing a series of UOAs on one engine, using a consistent brand/grade of lube, with reasonably consistent usage patterns. As much as practical, all inputs (lube, fuel, filtration, UOA sample cycle, etc) are held constant (or with minimal change), so that we can see the natural development of information. We do this to establish ranges and allow for any trends to develop. Over time, this methodology can be used to decide which product or process excels over another for any single specific application. It is very important to note that even when experiencing extremely consistent conditional and resource inputs, there is variation, even when the process is in control. We need a great deal of data from this single source to well define what is average and normal; it takes much time, money and patience to get there.

Macro analysis looks at not one entity, but all those in a desired grouping, and models not the individual effects, but rather details or predicts the behavior (results) of the mass population reaction to changing conditions (multiple inputs). Here, we can look at a large group of UOAs that represent a piece of equipment (engine, gearbox, differential, transmission, etc.) from different points of origin, and seek out what is “normal” across a broad base of applications. This approach is frequently used; it is predominant in the development of many products, from medical trials, to common electronics, to appliances, to automobiles, to consumable items like toothpaste and drinking water. The list is nearly endless as to how macro analysis can be applied. And as long as the precepts and limitations are understood, proper conclusions can be made. Macro analysis comes much quicker because multiple sources are accepted. Caution must be given, however, to make sure that illogical conclusions are not drawn, based upon false presumptions, or in confusing correlation with causation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Again, this is MACRO data driven.
All those variables (time, miles, use, environment, etc) are already taken into account in macro data. My macro data comes from 4.6L engines all over this country, in all manner of use such as daily drivers, taxis, police vehicles, grocery getters, highway cruisers, etc.

I would like to see how extended OCI's affect ONE specific component in the 4.6 engines: the cam chain tensioners.

Some argue "dirty" oil wears them out faster.... and nylon doesn't show up in UOA's

I cannot say for sure. That's part of the experiment. Time will tell. If the nylon does wear through, I'll be able to see the Al uptick. And should be able to recognize the onset prior to a catastrophe.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
What does your MACRO stand for? And by VARIATION do you mean metrological variation as defined by metrological standards or a literary one?

Allow me to quote myself, yet again ...

Read this:

So reading this and then all the folks attacking testing lubricants in a vehicle on a dyno gets confusing

Latest UOA updates:

Code:

UOA sample # C D A B

Brand Peak RK RK Peak

type syn conv conv syn

grade 5w-20 5w-20 5w-20 5w-20

filter FU TG TG TG

Oil miles 10k 10k 10k 10k

Veh miles 100k 240k 90k 230k

make up oil 1.5 2.0 1.2 2.4

Blackstone Data

w/ macro analysis

Univ std

Avg dev

@ 5.2k

Al 3 5 3 3 4 1.1

Cr 0 0 1 0 1 .5

Fe 7 6 10 6 15 9.5

Cu 0 3 1 5 5 2.9

Pb 0 4 0 0 2 .3

Tn 0 0 0 0

Moly 69 54 37 65

Ni 0 1 0 0

Mang 0 0 0 0

Silver 0 0 0 0

Ti 0 1 0 0

Potas 5 0 2 1

Boron 63 15 2 43

Si 9 12 14 10

Sodium 10 12 4 14

Calcium 1921 2571 2013 1942

Magn 13 11 15 20

Phos 679 681 612 615

Zinc 744 839 707 686

Barium 0 0 0 0

Sus V @ 210 53.5 54.7 51.8 54.9

cSt V @ 100 C 8.34 8.68 7.82 8.73

FP 420 395 415 435

Fuel
Antifreeze 0 0 0 0

Water 0 0 0 0

Insol .2 .1 .2 .3

TBN

TAN

As you can see, overall the wear is fairly steady; well within typical variation. Neither lube distinguished itself by being anything but "normal".
The '05 tends to consume more lube than does the '07; possibly worn valve stem seals? But it does not smoke at all. I may first try replacing the PCV valves and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Code:

Al 3 5 3 3

Fe 7 6 10 6

As you can see, overall the wear is fairly steady; well within typical variation. Neither lube distinguished itself by being anything but "normal".

I appreciate all your efforts with this!!

Hmmm....Peak Synth 5w-20 is the same as Warren, correct?
And also SuperTech Synth 5w-20 is the same as Warren, correct?

I'm just guessing - - but I'd bet SuperTech Synth 5w-20 would give near identical UOA results.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'm just guessing - - but I'd bet SuperTech Synth 5w-20 would give near identical UOA results.

Yes, and so would ST dino oil.

Actually it is indeed "Peak" brand syn, and the dino is Rural King's house brand. (RK is a farm supply chain in the mid-west). Kind of hard to find a reason to run a syn, when the lubes do the exact same job the exact same way. Did the syn do anything to distinguish itself as being "better" over the lowly conventional lube? No it did not!

The overall concepts to take away from these UOAs are two fold:
1) there is always some variation in wear metal rates; that's the "normal" process, and therefore going up/down a few ppm in metals is totally expected and should be seen as an applicable "range" of wear, not a static position. This leads one to understand that the performance envelopes of the two lubes shown essentially co-exist (they over-lap); meaning that neither lube does "better" than the other
2) both these lubes are no where close to being used-up in this application. People who OCI frequently are just tossing away perfectly good oil. Even the dino oil has plenty of life left in it, at 2x the OEM OCI factor. Those who say frequent OCIs and/or syns are "cheap insurance" are, IMO, wasteful; they are eschewing facts. In all the experiments I've ever run, and all the data I've seen (more than 12,000 UOAs), most folks grossly underutilize their lubes, regardless of the base stock. Throwing out perfectly good dino oil is a waste. Throwing out perfectly good syn is just a BIGGER waste. And it's a COLLOSAL waste if you run UOAs, and then ignore the information you paid for, doubling down on your waste of oil with wasted information!

I cannot assure you this will be the case 100% of the time. I can, however, attest that this is the very prominent truth most of the time. There will always be some unique conditions where a syn will usurp a dino oil. Typically that is in super-duper cold (uber stupid cold, below -25F) temps, and incredibly long OCIs. But if you don't see those conditions on a regular basis, then you'll never be in a position to gain the "benefit" of a syn over a dino. And if you're not in a position to gain, then you're in a position to lose, by default. You don't "need" a syn just because it might get a bit chilly outside a few days a year. You don't need a syn just in case you over-run your planned OCI by 1k or 2k miles. Dino oils are WAY MORE CAPABLE than folks give them credit for; there is plenty of reserve performance potential in a dino lube.

I love making analogies, because it often illuminates the obviousness some folks seem to overlook.
At the end of your work day, upon arriving home, you might want a beer with dinner. All you ever plan to consume is 12oz (because that's your self-imposed limit), but you buy 16oz bottles of beer because it's "cheap insurance" in case you want a bit more. Fine - so your selected product (16oz) already has the potential to cover your "overage" concerns. Typically, you just toss out 4oz every night. So then does it make sense to buy a bigger vessel (24oz or 40oz), if all you ever do is consume 12oz? Even if you went over your "normal" usage of 12oz, you've got 4oz in reserve with your typical 16oz product. Why buy an even larger beer that you're just going to throw away the unused portion, because of your self-imposed limit?

There are a precious few here that actually operate under conditions that make sense to use a synthetic lube. But not most BITOGers; they just heap waste upon waste.

But hey - why let facts and data get in the way of good ol' fashioned mythology, rhetoric and powerful marketing hype?
21.gif

Last edited:

But hey - why let facts and data get in the way of good ol' fashioned mythology, rhetoric and powerful marketing hype?
21.gif

This sums it up brilliantly! I admire and appreciate your ability to stay in this "battle" as long as you have and keep explaining the process over and over again.

One of the reasons I am seldom seen on BITOG these past few years is that I learned (from you, others and via my own study) that fixating on all the brand-name driven, market-slogan driven minutia is a waste of time. And I don't have time to argue endlessly over it with cool-aid drinkers who have not yet sworn off that "sauce."

The way I see it, if you can get 10K, or more, out of $2.50/quart oil and average filters, that's fantastic! I see a place for higher end oils and filters but your stats don't lie. Why spend more than you need to. I am getting the same kind of results on my farm equipment and truck on the bargain oils. The high end and the lower end (not the [censored] oil but brand names mfrs. ) didn't produce significantly different results of me.

Full Disclosure: I do use a syn in my cars, but I shop and coupon to get it as cheaply as possible (brand is irrespective) and do it mainly for the viscosity index (cold-cool flow aspects) of a particular grade, a particular flavor of ad pack I like and to run very long OCIs in my particular cycle. Probably overkill. I did a long study on a Ford F150 and had validated 15K on conventional oils and was working higher when I sold the truck. doing the same with a new member of my fleet but it's slow going since I work at home and don't crank on the miles most people do. I keep oils in service four years, unless the mileage/hour limit is reached. The only things in my fleet that ever reach a mile/hour limit are the cars. One car in particular and once in a while one of the tractors.

Based on what I see now, but subject to verification in each circumstance, I think the vast majority of oil out there is underutilized. Way, way underutilized in many cases of synthetics.

Marketing works so well that people believe the marketing claims over the facts presented by the industry professionals who have graced this web site.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
One of the reasons I am seldom seen on BITOG these past few years[...]
Happy to see you checking in from time to time Jim.

All the best to you and yours for the holiday season!!

New thread for me...subscribed!

Guess I need to run the Amsoil OE I just bought for MUCH longer than 5000 miles! Make it 10k at least....and sample and leave it in.

dnewton3 -- noticed you used a FU for one change. Did you plan to leave that in for 20k?

UOAs are not good tools for identifying whether the oil has started laying down deposits and that can be the first failure mechanism to occur in an oil used too long. I dealt with that problem for 12 years of owning a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T.

Originally Posted By: JAG
UOAs are not good tools for identifying whether the oil has started laying down deposits and that can be the first failure mechanism to occur in an oil used too long.

True, but short of popping off a valve cover every now and then, there's no other way to know.
UOAs can imply certain conditions. If the soot/insolubles are low, then there's not much to "lay down" in the first place ...

Indeed, dnewton. When I read this thread, I got concerned that some people will conclude too much from UOA data alone, and run their oil too long from a deposit standpoint. People should take peeks inside their valvetrain area. Touching surfaces for tackiness/stickiness is helpful too.

I am a big advocate of maxing the ROI, but doing so SAFELY.
I have never said that UOAs are the only tool for the job; one needs to use a multi-tool approach to extending OCIs.
- UOAs from the vehicle
- Macro data from other similar vehicles (used for comparative purposes)
- PCs
- Visual inspections inside and out
- Tactile observations
- even sounds/smells can be useful (not a wholesale "ah-ha" sure sign, but an indication more may be afoot)
These all play a part in a pragmatic OCI plan.

People will often even confuse tarnish for sludge. I've seen bad sludge before; my old 1966 289 Mustang had a BAD case of sludge. Not from neglect; it's just that old oils were not good at holding insolubles in suspension. Deposits were common with older lubes. But tarnish isn't the same as sludge. Tarnish is a discoloration and it's harmless.

I do not advise for extended OCIs unless people are willing to put effort into them and take a holistic approach.

But, my UOAs show that, when properly practiced, there are benefits of common normal products FAR surpassing what most believe is available. My RK oil at $1.59/qrt gives the same wear control and deposit control as does the brand name syn that's nearly 3x the money.

It's not for everyone, but extending OCIs can be done smartly, if the effort and understanding is present.

I think one thing that I'd like folks to learn from my UOA data is that they can relax and not worry about "normal" products and typical OCIs. We so often hear of people saying "It's cheap insurance to use a syn, just in case I run over my OCI by a thousand miles or so ..." Well - I say that's bunk! I can clearly show that dino oils can go WAY past the OEM OCIs. If you plan on running the OEM OCI, and accidentally run over a few thousand miles, your engine will NOT grenade itself, nor will it grind to a sludge-stop. Even if one does not want to run extended OCIs, there's no reason to use a syn for fear of over-running the already conservative OEM OCIs. Dino oils and normal filters can EASILY cover the occasional "oops" of the odometer. Admittedly there are a few exceptions; some Toyota and Saturn engines lend themselves to short OCIs. But the VAST majority of engines are perfectly safe running on dino lubes, and can easily be run past the OEM OCI with total safety, if only occasionally.

Last edited:
Back