5R55E trans in 2011 Ranger, getting interesting advice about ATF

Small note from experience, if I may.

Often, this thread included, someone will suggest getting "synthetic Mercon V". Yes to that but I believe Mercon V is a petroleum product just like Mobil3309 and all its Type-IV cousins.
Yes, I've used Maxlife in many 3309 applications with fine results and I'm sure a generic multi which included Mercon V on the label would work well too.
I wanted synthetic Mercon V for my 5R55E and power steering but couldn't find any.
Mercon V is readily available. Pan drop #1 got Walmart and any drain & fill in the future will get Valvoline's version as it was on sale and is waiting in my stash.
Again, I'm referring to a (mythical) Mercon V synthetic. I believe none exists.
Hey, if it's one of the industry's licensed babies, a fluid maker would be bound by the recipe.
I now doubt any ever existed or ever will (can).

Last edited:
Kira, interesting that you note full-synthetic (Motorcraft) Mercon V does not appear to exist. Ford's Motorcraft site lists standard Mercon V and synthetic-blend Mercon V, but no full-syn version.

When I'm ready to do the drain plug, etc., I'll look for at least a synthetic-blend licensed version.

Small note from experience, if I may.

Often, this thread included, someone will suggest getting "synthetic Mercon V". Yes to that but I believe Mercon V is a petroleum product just like Mobil3309 and all its Type-IV cousins.
Yes, I've used Maxlife in many 3309 applications with fine results and I'm sure a generic multi which included Mercon V on the label would work well too.
I wanted synthetic Mercon V for my 5R55E and power steering but couldn't find any.
Mercon V is readily available. Pan drop #1 got Walmart and any drain & fill in the future will get Valvoline's version as it was on sale and is waiting in my stash.
Again, I'm referring to a (mythical) Mercon V synthetic. I believe none exists.
Hey, if it's one of the industry's licensed babies, a fluid maker would be bound by the recipe.
I now doubt any ever existed or ever will (can).

All I suggested was a "good synthetic fluid," nothing about Mercon V. Didn't see anyone else mention Mercon V synthetic in this thread either. Maybe on the Ranger forums where someone will suggest that, then in another thread suggest various "Home Depot mods" involving lots of zip ties and gutter guards. The Ranger Station has some good tech info for older trucks, but I haven't used any Ranger specific forum for maintenance advice in probably 15 years.

Mercon V is overrated, never had one of these transmissions that didn't shift great on BG, Wynn's, whatever.

I do think the Mercon V formulation has been tweaked over the years, because Ford has changed what they consider suitable applications a couple times. Doesn't matter to me though because I'm going to use a universal full synthetic.

Some other sites really love to hate this transmission, but it seems as if Ford finally did work out the bugs. Knock on wood, there's no reason so far to suspect I'm going to have problems soon, but my goal is to prevent them as long as I can.

Saw the Harbor Freight rig at one near me. Now that you've said what size tubing works best, I'll give it a go. Got other maintenance to do on it and don't really relish dropping the trans pan right now, especially since the trans flush was just done. I put a drain plug on a 1990 Ranger I had briefly some years ago and on my '98 Taurus wagon, so I have experience; it's just a bit of a pain...
It there a filter?

It there a filter?
I'm probably misunderstanding the question, but the 5R55E has a "rock catcher" trans filter above the pan like most other transmissions. It was replaced during the BG service in early May.

If you're asking about the vacuum pump, there was no filter in the assembly. The hose from the trans dipstick tube attaches to the lid of the sample cup. That lid is attached with another hose to the hand pump. When the cup is twisted on its lid, it is airtight enough for the pump to work to fill the cup.

I used to own a Ranger with this trans. I always ran Supertech Mercon V. It is licensed. The trans is pretty stout though the valve bodies are problematic. I swapped my valve body out for one with some upgrades and was very happy after. I was pushing 200k when I sold it and it was running better then ever.

Back