5HP B & S Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a generator, bought used 12 years ago. Im assuming its a early to mid 1990's engine. Anyway, does anyone know the weight of oil that should be used? I have 5w-30 in there now b/c that's what I had in March. Obviously it could be used anytime of year so anywhere from about 5 degrees Fahrenheit to 90 degrees.
Model #: 135212

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Any 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic or semi-synthetic should work well in the old B&S.

Sounds good to me, i would prefer the 5w30 if it was starting outside below or near 0F.

One of my favorite 5w30 synthetics for small engines is Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30. You can pick anything you like though and it will run fine.

What kind of filter?
A lot of B&S filters are expensive, my mower one is 19~$, then I figgered out the ones on my 05 Ranger fit it.
See if a L20195, FL-400s, Fram 3600 cross reference it

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Any 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic or semi-synthetic should work well in the old B&S.

+1. B&S recommends Synthetic 5W-30 now a days. It has the widest operating temperature range and less oil usuage than conventional oils. Conventional 5W-30 is only ok for 40*F and below according to B&S. Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 is API service SL, most likely higher level of Zinc. I believe you can get a 5 qt hug at Walmart for between $22-$25. A lot less than B&S synthetic 5W-30 at $10/quart at Lowe's
shocked.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
What's the running wattage of the generator with a 5 hp engine? MY B&S generator has a 16.5 ft lbs torque engine, they don't use hp anymore. It runs at 5500 watts. My old B&S power washer has a 4.5 hp engine, it's small compared to the generators engine.

Last edited:
Where do you live and when will you think this will get the most use (winter? summer?)

In winter, I would use 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic. In summer, I would use a good synthetic 40 weight. The thicker oils tend to consume a little less in the heat.

I have a 5hp B&S on a log splitter and a Chicago Electric generator from HF, and a B&S Intek mower. I run 5W-40 M1 in all of them. It's good for all temps I hope to ever see, climate change or not. Makes it easier to keep track of everything, only have to buy a one-gallon jug for all of them, the balance goes into the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back