Honda gc160 oil turning black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Troy built pressure washer with a Honda gc 160 5hp engine. I use 5w30 (could be the problem) and the engine oil turns black in less than an hour. I used 5w30 synthetic because my car, lawn mower and generator use the same. I don't remember this happening before. Outdoor temp when this occurred was about 90 degrees and washer was in the sun. Any thoughts? Washer is 12 years old. Other than black oil runs excellent. No black smoke from exhaust and efficient in fuel. P

I use 5W30 M1 in my Honda mower. Oil has never turned black. Just get a darker honey color. I change it once a year.

I have a simpson washer that has the same engine. I use 10W30 synthetic and mine looks like honey after a season of use. I would think 5W30 would handle it, but these things are running wide open with a pretty high load.

I wouldn't worry about it. Those engines are very robust.
I suspect 95% of them never see syn oil or get oil changes and live for decades.
If you're gripped by BITOG OCD, throw in a quart of Mobil 1 15W50. That's what I use in mine now that my stash of magic green Castrol has been used up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hikeril
I have a Troy built pressure washer with a Honda gc 160 5hp engine. I use 5w30 (could be the problem) and the engine oil turns black in less than an hour. I used 5w30 synthetic because my car, lawn mower and generator use the same. I don't remember this happening before. Outdoor temp when this occurred was about 90 degrees and washer was in the sun. Any thoughts? Washer is 12 years old. Other than black oil runs excellent. No black smoke from exhaust and efficient in fuel. P

When you say it turns black, does that mean you can see it on the dipstick? I have the same pressure washer, maybe not as old, as well as a Honda push mower with that engine. Neither one shows black oil on the dipstick after 50 hours, let alone one hour. OTOH, what drains out is always darker than what is seen on the dipstick, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it black.

Depends on engine condition i think. If you have always maintained it well, and now its turning black, probably some blowby. Could also be running rich. Run some b-12 through the gas. I think pressure washers are tough on engines and the oil. 12 year old washer with a GC engine, you are doing well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back