5G Home Internet experience is over, back to cable.

$90 a month for fiber? Jeeze... I pay $65 for the same 1 gig up/down through Centurylink here in the cities.
City of 30-35k. It was $70 but they raised it to $90 to expand the service area to give more people access.

Plus, Cox is $120/mo for gigabit.

$90 a month for fiber? Jeeze... I pay $65 for the same 1 gig up/down through Centurylink here in the cities.
It depends on a more urban area where the incumbent local exchange carrier has extended fiber to homes $65/mo is fair, in a lower density area where a smaller company has had to make their own capex to build all the infrastructure $90/mo sounds very reasonable. Where my grampa lives his rural electric co-op laid fiber and it's $65/mo for 100mb upto $110 for gigabit, and then there's 2-10gbit options that are $200-900/mo which is very reasonable given the expenditure of deploying rural fiber.

It depends on a more urban area where the incumbent local exchange carrier has extended fiber to homes $65/mo is fair, in a lower density area where a smaller company has had to make their own capex to build all the infrastructure $90/mo sounds very reasonable. Where my grampa lives his rural electric co-op laid fiber and it's $65/mo for 100mb upto $110 for gigabit, and then there's 2-10gbit options that are $200-900/mo which is very reasonable given the expenditure of deploying rural fiber.

I couldn't agree more. However, even here in the Twin Cities fiber access remains limited. Centurylink dominates, while a small company called US Internet has been laying fiber around my shop for the last few years. We have their account, I work on all their vans.

Being that I live in a neighborhood that's generally considered as "unfavorable", I was surprised not only by the fact that CL fiber was available to me, but the closest "node" happened to be within a city block of my house. The install was a process, albeit a smooth one. I was lucky to get an ACTUAL CL technician to perform the install, vs a contractor. He ran a new fiber line to my house, installed the box in the rafters in my basement, ran a new CAT6 cable from the basement to the WiFi6 router that they provided for free. I've been very happy with the service after years of being bent over by Comcrap.

Speed Test
I pay 79.99 for 12/300 spectrum.

ATT fiber is 4 blocks away and not moving closer. (and I am toward the city center on main road)

IIRC didnt AT&T wave the data cap if you had phones through them?

In about 10 years the local fiber might come though they are installing a large fiber ring for competition and local govt use.

I pay 79.99 for 12/300 spectrum.

ATT fiber is 4 blocks away and not moving closer. (and I am toward the city center on main road)

IIRC didnt AT&T wave the data cap if you had phones through them?
AT&T fiber (and 100mb VDSL) has no data caps now, they used to give you unlimited data on home internet if you bundled TV service, I'm not sure if they still do this for people that are stuck on DSL tiers 75mb or below if they still wave the data cap if they subscribe to DirecTV or DirecTV Stream.

AT&T fiber (and 100mb VDSL) has no data caps now, they used to give you unlimited data on home internet if you bundled TV service, I'm not sure if they still do this for people that are stuck on DSL tiers 75mb or below if they still wave the data cap if they subscribe to DirecTV or DirecTV Stream.
Maybe that was it.
I can get fake gig spectrum for 129.99 35Mbit/940Mbit

My understanding is that if you rent comcast gateway they wave the cap. might be worth the $15 if its correct if you use a lot of data

My understanding is that if you rent comcast gateway they wave the cap. might be worth the $15 if its correct if you use a lot of data
You have to select xFi Complete with unlimited data to get unlimited data which is $25/month, if you own your own modem and router it’s $30/month.

My experience with T-Mobiles home internet matches ZZMan’s, it required frequent restarts due to signal drops. For as bad as a company I think Comcast is (data caps on $70+ a month plans are criminal IMO), my modem and router don’t get restarted outside of power outages or updates, they just work.

Reactions: Pew
I cut the cord some months ago and have AT&T fiber. Of course, I also have two AT&T mobile phones...
But no data caps.

They are also offering HBOMAX with AT&T fiber. So we get that streaming service "gratis" with our $80 1g symmetrical fiber.

the 14.00 modem/router has 1.2 TB cap. The 25.00 modem/router has unlimited data.

My experience with T-Mobiles home internet matches ZZMan’s, it required frequent restarts due to signal drops. For as bad as a company I think Comcast is (data caps on $70+ a month plans are criminal IMO), my modem and router don’t get restarted outside of power outages or updates, they just work.

Same as my experience with TMO 5G Home internet for our work sites. Some days it's 175/25, most days it's 6/0.06 with 3 towers within a 1.5 mile radius according to our account manager. One of the clients working there next to us just got a range extender for their AT&T and TMO 5G hotspots and reported much better and consistent speeds so I'm going to order their outdoor 5G hotspot antenna instead and see if that helps. Also ordered a Verizon 5G Home Internet hotspot for that location too. They're all Inseego routers, albeit slightly different models.

MetroNet apparently has synchronous Gigabit for like $80/month and one of the department heads at work said he has had no issues so far with it. Their tech support though has me concerned, as they tried to make him buy a static IP when his USB-to-RJ45 adapter was finicky.

Last edited:
I switched to TMo a year and a half ago after Spectrum told me it would be four+ days to get a repair person out. TMo promised me a 5G box within a month but I'm still going with 4GL. Had a friend with 5G mobile which was slower cause the towers were further away, so I haven't pushed 'em for a replacement. Runs from 20-140 down. Have ten year old TV's so no buffering problems and no real complaints, although my Mint phone is usually faster, didn't know that would happen with an MVNO.

until 2 years ago we only had 2 choices. Century link or mediacom. Mediacom was faster but awful reliability. We has centurylink dsl 12/1 for $45 until a fiber company came in 3 years ago. We pay $70 (after fees/taxes) for 100/100. They offer 80 for 200/200, 90 for 500/500, $100 for 1gig. Next year another fiber company called metronet is building out too. They’re $20’/month cheaper on all tiers.
Only 2 of us in the house so 100/100 works well and no data cap.

A lot of people have switched to TM here due to lower cost and are getting ~200/40 for $50. I’d switch but like having a direct connection. VZ isn’t available yet.

Back