5G Home Internet experience is over, back to cable.

Well I gave TMobile 5G home internet a try but just switched back to Xfinity.

While I liked the price and no data cap, I never got close to the promised speeds and it would often drop connection and I would need to reboot the device. (Maybe they need to increase capacity more)

On the 200 mb for 40.00 a month for a year plan now. 1.2 tb limit on data. (I never hit 900 gig a month on the T-Mobile plan)

wired connections are usually better + safer depending on your beliefs that WI Fi or even cell phones can be unsafe + theres even a warning in small print to keep your cell phone away from your body!!!

Its has been almost a year since I went with AT&T 1/2 gig fiber over the T-Mobile 5G. Don't know if the T-Mobile would have worked well at my address, the AT&T has been bulletproof with no hiccups in the first year.

Well I gave TMobile 5G home internet a try but just switched back to Xfinity.

While I liked the price and no data cap, I never got close to the promised speeds and it would often drop connection and I would need to reboot the device. (Maybe they need to increase capacity more)

On the 200 mb for 40.00 a month for a year plan now. 1.2 tb limit on data. (I never hit 900 gig a month on the T-Mobile plan)
What speeds were you getting? My parents just got their Tmobile home internet a few weeks ago and when I set it up for them I did a speed test, 550 down, 50 up. They are very close to a brand new tower they built in that area specifically for the home internet so that definitely helps. So far they have only had to reboot the modem once, which fixed the issue immediately.

For them it is perfect, no caps, $50 a month (they are retired), and their only other internet options are satellite or dial up. Its not as fast as my 1 gig symmetric fiber but they also don't need that either. They just use it to surf the web and watch stuff on streaming.

Verizon 5g home internet was great but their router/gateway needed a reboot every two days and it got annoying. Perhaps because I was using a massive amount of data 24/7 for my servers but I gave up after they refused to replace the unit because it showed nothing wrong on their end.

What speeds were you getting? My parents just got their Tmobile home internet a few weeks ago and when I set it up for them I did a speed test, 550 down, 50 up. They are very close to a brand new tower they built in that area specifically for the home internet so that definitely helps. So far they have only had to reboot the modem once, which fixed the issue immediately.

For them it is perfect, no caps, $50 a month (they are retired), and their only other internet options are satellite or dial up. Its not as fast as my 1 gig symmetric fiber but they also don't need that either. They just use it to surf the web and watch stuff on streaming.
Yes, it’s perfect for a lot of people if your lucky enough to be near an upgraded T~Mobile cell tower,
I tried it in Jan 2020 for a number of weeks, I’m not the far from the tower but just not close enough. Had to return.
Yet I can drive 1.5 miles closer and get download speeds up to 700Mbps on my iPhone.

Ps. I can’t imagine being stuck with ATT Dara caps. That is like sooooo weird.

I have Verizon 5G Home Internet it works great, I tried T-Mobile, and the speedtests were faster than Verizon, but any real world downloading was about the same on Verizon, and the latency is better, and the Verizon has port forwarding options, and the Verizon box has been up several weeks with no need for a restart, T-Mobile could barely make it 1 or 2 days, and would brown out a couple hours at a time a few times a week for no reason, and taking the box outside wouldn't help, the receive power would go from -85 to lower than -100, it was ridiculous, T-Mobile/Sprint may have an advantage in the amount of mid-band spectrum they have, but man they're still a second rate carrier just like they've always been because they're utterly incompetent. I don't know if the great speedtest with meh real world speeds is caused by T-mobile prioritizing speedtests or if T-mobile just has much worse IP transit because they're paying Cogent to do most of it for them and Verizon on the other hand is freakin' Verizon.

I'm using TM home internet, never have to reboot, and get 200 down/30 up most of the time, though I've seen 300 down and 125 down. Still that's plenty for the wife and I. 30 bucks/month is more than reasonable. Ping hovers around 50-55 ms. I've considered adding an external antenna but it would be $400 for a good one and adding more speed at this point probably wouldn't make a lot of difference. We have had some buffering but I installed a mesh wifi system and it's resolved that issue. Right now its the best choice we have available where we live outside the city limits. No cable or fiber available to us.

I have Verizon 5G Home Internet it works great, I tried T-Mobile, and the speedtests were faster than Verizon, but any real world downloading was about the same on Verizon, and the latency is better, and the Verizon has port forwarding options, and the Verizon box has been up several weeks with no need for a restart, T-Mobile could barely make it 1 or 2 days, and would brown out a couple hours at a time a few times a week for no reason, and taking the box outside wouldn't help, the receive power would go from -85 to lower than -100, it was ridiculous, T-Mobile/Sprint may have an advantage in the amount of mid-band spectrum they have, but man they're still a second rate carrier just like they've always been because they're utterly incompetent. I don't know if the great speedtest with meh real world speeds is caused by T-mobile prioritizing speedtests or if T-mobile just has much worse IP transit because they're paying Cogent to do most of it for them and Verizon on the other hand is freakin' Verizon.
I found the opposite to be true-Verizon utterly incompetant, IMO. T-Mobile not bad. Ppl tell me Verizon is not Verizon anymore. Use contractors for service in Verizon trucks.

Great post and glad to hear Verizon is working out good for you and also your TMobile experience.
One just needs to remember (for others) call based service is directly linked to the tower near your home. T-Mobile the second largest cell provider is far from a second rate service, Years later Verizon still trying to catch up to T-Mobile 5g rollout/
Anyplace in the country, where ones location is, determines the success of the data connection. I can get 700 Mbps 1 mile away from a T-Mobile tower in my home town on my iPhone but my house is 3 to 4 miles away and home Internet wont work good there.

To be fair we know that having a cell phone near your testicles will lower sperm count by about 8%-10%, decrease motility, and increase DNA fragmentation.

Having a laptop in your lap with wifi will also do similar.

It isn't some conspiracy theory that radiation affects cells.

To be fair we know that having a cell phone near your testicles will lower sperm count by about 8%-10%, decrease motility, and increase DNA fragmentation.

Having a laptop in your lap with wifi will also do similar.

It isn't some conspiracy theory that radiation affects cells.
Any radiation isnt good, it just depends how much. The affect on sperm as far as I know is simply because the cell radiation increases temperature in the area by around 2 degrees. Much like it also increases brain temperature when its against your head.
First I heard of DNA fragmentation but Im not doubting you, I haven't kept up on the subject.

It's a Giant human experiment much like tobacco was decades ago. I guess we will know in another 20 years? Meaning all the 14 year old kids with a lifetime of exposure. I think its more controlled then it used to be regarding the head and when I stopped paying attention. I did try to keep my cell phone more away from my head when I was working because I was on the phone a lot.

Verizon here... I have had it since August and the only time it has been rebooted was a power outage. Perfect for my needs Streams 4k movies without a hitch.

Previously I used a ground based wifi good service but slower and more expensive.

My spectrum cable internet monthly bill just went from $74.99 to $79.99 if that makes any of you Verizon 5G fellers feel better.

I'm not sure what "speed" I buy, but my cheap moto phone was just at 350 down / 12 up.

I was

I was getting anywhere from 10-50 mbs. Was looking for consistent 75-100 mbs

I have the T mobile at our retirement home and it is great comared to the AT&T U-Verse. That is all that is available there. They just came out with an offer of 20% of cell service for 2 lines and $20 per month off of home internet. I currently have my cell service with Consumer cellular but I may go and check on the total price of it now for my wife and myself.

Back