55” TV OLED vs LED

Hi,

I have a perfectly working 2010 Sony Bravia 40” tv $1000+ new that works well and looks decent but my eyes too small For viewing distance.

I want to get a 4K 55” tv and wondering if OLED vs LED is worth it? My budget is $500 - $1500. Thanks!

I'd make the budget a tighter range, and consider going larger than 55", which really isn't that much more than 40". I mean it is in total screen area, but not so much how far away you can view it before it seems on the small side too.

You may not agree with the distances stated on the following page, but it does give some perspective about the ratio of size vs distance.

Same issue here. Had to move small tv into another room and buy a slightly bigger tv that matches the dimensions of the room more perfectly. She was deboning a turkey when I said that we could just move the couch and simple pointed the knife in my direction. Earn a longer life with new tv since the furniture stays put.

My recommendation is OLED. Pricing is pretty good now on the smaller sets since everyone wants 75-100"+ tvs. Glad that I am not blind.

Should be able to find something similar locally... Not sure what bestbuy/walfart/targeted/costcos/sams/bjs have for tvs these days.

The above proximity link helps much. But, you should bring a tape measure to the store. Have your home measured out. Then watch at the same distance at the store. Some TV distance/sizing formulas seem to want to sell an ginormous tv when its your eyes/comfort that should make that decision. My farsighted eyes definitely preferred the smaller sized tvs at my distance. >than what I have now meant it was all a blur.

Hi,

I have a perfectly working 2010 Sony Bravia 40” tv $1000+ new that works well and looks decent but my eyes too small For viewing distance.

I want to get a 4K 55” tv and wondering if OLED vs LED is worth it? My budget is $500 - $1500. Thanks!
Sure, the Larger size is worth it for your viewing pleasure. Jmo the 2 best brands are sony and samsung
You can get a 55 samsung led for about $500. You can get a 55 Samsung Qled for about $700. Go to your local Best Buy, see the screens, pay your money, and take your choice. Hope this helps. Try to catch a sale.

Last edited:
I'd make the budget a tighter range, and consider going larger than 55", which really isn't that much more than 40". I mean it is in total screen area, but not so much how far away you can view it before it seems on the small side too.

You may not agree with the distances stated on the following page, but it does give some perspective about the ratio of size vs distance.

55" is way bigger than 40". Screenshot_20221008-190323_Chrome.jpg
If it were me I would buy a Samsung 55" 4k. Whatever is the cheapest.

Note: Often times what I post might help others even if it's meaningless to the thread starter.

The one caveat right now is ATSC 3.0. If you watch much OTA content, you may want such a set. ATSC 3.0 will be a game changer when it takes off.

Amazon had some fantastic deals on LG and Sony OLED's during the July Prime day sale and they have another Prime day event October 11-12.
Some other retailers might follow suit.

55" LG OLED at Best Buy for $900.

The Christmas Buying season is just around the corner. I would just wait a few weeks for a TV deal .

Personally I think LG oled is the way to go. I have 2 of them and they have a great picture but I still miss my Panny plasma

Check out rtings.com on any TV’s you might consider. Some of the OLED’s can struggle in bright rooms as they can’t match the brightness of a LED TV. For example the Samsung QN90B can sustain 644cd/m2 over the entire display while the LG C2 OLED can only do 155, while the Samsung peaks at ~2,000 vs the LG’s 810. But the OLED naturally has a better contrast ratio.

Check out rtings.com on any TV’s you might consider. Some of the OLED’s can struggle in bright rooms as they can’t match the brightness of a LED TV. For example the Samsung QN90B can sustain 644cd/m2 over the entire display while the LG C2 OLED can only do 155, while the Samsung peaks at ~2,000 vs the LG’s 810. But the OLED naturally has a better contrast ratio.
Not only is the as-new tested brightness lower on OLED displays, but the brightness decreases with time. My buddy purchased an OLED LG several years ago (for BIG bucks) and it has become almost unwatchable in his den in the daytime. Furthermore, OLED displays can develop screen burn-in artifacts. Since it appears that you like keeping things for awhile, both of these will affect your long-term satisfaction with the TV.
Skyactiv made a valid point. When I purchase my next TV, it will definitely have an ATSC 3.0 (NEXTGEN TV) tuner.

55" is ok, but I think 60" is a good sweet spot unless you want huge. (including for transporting it if you don't have a large vehicle.) I've had a 60" for years and even at 15 feet away I don't consider it small yet. I had a 50" in the same spot before the 60" and it seemed small even at 8 feet.

The main upgrade imo is HDR. It's more important than even 4k.

And as a couple people said LEDs are probably more reliable. TVs are a little different due to an easier environment, but I avoid OLED/AMOLED screens on phones due to potential burn-in and just seeming to have more problems, though they do tend to have mildly better colors.

Last edited:
You have a 12 year experience with your Sony TV and say it works well. I would buy the same brand again, It will not matter to you LED or OLED.

Personally I would go with a Bravia Sony in your price range, forget the display technology. The Bravia are HDR sets either way and you will love the picture.
I am more partial to the mid to higher end LED sets. They will have brighter screens for brightly lit rooms and you will barely if any, notice any difference if you have an OLED, in fact the difference will be a less bright OLED screen if that TV is in a bright room.

The OLED thing took off because the manufacturers needed something to market and upsell. There is no ground breaking technology out there.
They OLED could, depending on the maker have a wonderful picture in a darker room, no question about it but that is only if its top quality set, with top quality components to give you a long service life. Sony makes both BTW.
If you check out the TV pictures in a store showroom that is not even close to reality, its closed circuit TV with source material you will not have in your home and the store showroom does not "show" how reliable the set will be.

Back