51356 Larger replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am brand new here, and have been reading the forums and it looks like a great site.

I have a Mitsubishi that uses a Wix 51356, but I currently have been using a Amsoil EAo13 filter. My engine is a 3.8l v6 in an Eclipse. I know that there is a wider, or fatter mitus filter that is sometimes interchangeable, but with my application I don't have any room for a larger diameter filter, only taller.

So now to my question, Does anyone have a filter number that meets the same specs for mounting as a 51356 that may be a little taller to allow me to have some more filter material area? The 1356 is a just a small filter, and I'd love to have something a little larger.

Thanks in advance.

John

Try a Wix 51347 or a Purolator l-20073, they should work they are a lot taller i use them on my Honda's. The Puro you can find at PepBoys as AAP does not carry them.
joe

the dimensions for the 51347 are different from the 51356!
51356 gasket dimensions:
O.D. 2.475
I.D. 2.173
Thickness: .233

51347 is:
O.D. 2.734
I.D. 2.430
Thickness: .226

the only thing that is similar is the spin thread which is M20x1.5mm

If you want something larger, the best way to go is to install a remote filter relocation kit. You can put 1 or even 2 51515 3/4x16 filters on. you just need the right adapter, which is easy to find.

Originally Posted By: EricF
the dimensions for the 51347 are different from the 51356!
51356 gasket dimensions:
O.D. 2.475
I.D. 2.173
Thickness: .233

51347 is:
O.D. 2.734
I.D. 2.430
Thickness: .226

the only thing that is similar is the spin thread which is M20x1.5mm

If you want something larger, the best way to go is to install a remote filter relocation kit. You can put 1 or even 2 51515 3/4x16 filters on. you just need the right adapter, which is easy to find.

Yes the dimensions for the gasket diameters are different, but that does not mean that they won't work as most block mating surfaces have a larger diameter area for the gasket to seal on.I use the purolator l-20073(Wix 51347 =) on all 3 of my Honda's with no leaks what so ever! Don't knock it until you have tried it!~ The OP was asking for an alternative i gave him a simple answer.
Joe

After you've x'ref'd as many filters as I have, you'll find out that Donaldson may recommend a larger gasket than WIX ..etc..etc. That doesn't mean that you don't want to carefully check it out when going bigger or smaller, but if you match them up head to head and take a good gander at the mating surface, you'll conclude that there isn't that much of an issue ..more often than not.

Naturally, YMMV with some applications.

You are right.. the filter you mention would work.
For me way back in early 90's a tech stupidly mistook a nissan pathfinder for a toyota 4runner and grabbed the toyota filter.
It fit fine, when the truck left, we got a phone call 3 hours later with the customer yelling at us because his engine seized.
according to the nissan dealership which billed us to the hilt for a new motor, the wrong oil filter was installed and the high oil pressures eventually pushed past the seal and slowly seeped out.

I'm all for putting a larger oil filter on! But I'm probably too overly cautious for using filters with different seal dimensions.

Out of all the M20x1.5 filters I can find, you've pretty much got the longest one in the 2.6x size.

(let's see if we know Mitsubishi in speculative inquiry)

Is the filter mount a threaded nipple, or a cast piece that bolts to the block?

A bigger can may or may not mean more media. Or it could have more, but lower quality media.

Considering how few problems Frams cause, I wonder how important a better filter is.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Out of all the M20x1.5 filters I can find, you've pretty much got the longest one in the 2.6x size.

(let's see if we know Mitsubishi in speculative inquiry)

Is the filter mount a threaded nipple, or a cast piece that bolts to the block?

I am pretty sure it is a threaded piece. I would have to double check though.

If it's a separate nipple that can be unthreaded, you can potentially convert it to 3/4-16. If that's the case then something like a FL400S/ST3600/51516 can be used. If it's part of a larger one piece casting ..then it's more involved if it can be done at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back