507 approved oil with the highest VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a forum regular until a couple of years ago. A new car gets the blood I mean oil flowing
wink.gif
. We have ordered a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagon (TDI, manual 6 speed). This will be my first diesel and turbo engine.

I know warranty requires a 507.00 rated oil for the VW recommended 10k mile, 1 year OCI but I am trying to search out said oil with the highest VI.

I know that Mobi's ESP 5W30 is highly regarded (and 507 approved). It has a VI of 164....similar to many of the 507 oils I have looked at.

The 0W30 ESP offering has a VI of 180 but does not have the official 507 rating.

Anyone know of 507 oils with a VI in say the...170s?

If it were my turbo charged DI engine, I'd be WAY more worried about TEOST scores than VI.

One of the best is Castrol Edge. I'd be pouring in some of the 5w30 variety.

Consider adding a catch can as well. This will help reduce deposits as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
If it were my turbo charged DI engine, I'd be WAY more worried about TEOST scores than VI.

One of the best is Castrol Edge. I'd be pouring in some of the 5w30 variety.

Consider adding a catch can as well. This will help reduce deposits as well.

+1 Especially on the catch can!

Don't worry about the VI. The better base stocks always seem to have a lower number.
There was a good thread on this very subject not too long ago.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't worry about the VI. The better base stocks always seem to have a lower number.

I am looking forward to having the option of using a 0W30 507 certified oil

Originally Posted By: Trav
There was a good thread on this very subject not too long ago.

Thanks. I havent been here in awhile. I will look it up.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I am looking forward to having the option of using a 0W30 507 certified oil

For what reason? Are you subject to brutal winter temps?

There are tons of "specs" to consider when choosing oil. Some of them are TEOST, NOACK, viscosity, additive packages, VI, etc. etc.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're looking at some of the least important specs. When running a turbo charged DI diesel, I'd be most concerned with deposits and shear stability of the oil.

But that's just me.

How long of an OCI are you considering? What is your driving style? Short trip? Mostly long highway runs?

I have a 2010 JSW and it has only seen Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 since factory fill. I live in Wisconsin and as you may know, winters here are brutal. No problems starting even on the most fridged morning of -20 F below. Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 meets Mercedes Benz 229.51 spec, which is what they use for their diesels. If its good enough for a Mercedes Benz, it should be good for a VW TDI. I also like the fact that its on sale at least 3 times a year at my local NAPA.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
How long of an OCI are you considering?

one year/10k miles as permitted by VW for this car.

Your diesel engine will last forever on whatever VW 507 00 oil you use.
That said, I agree to maximize performance especially cold starting, choosing an oil with the highest VI is the way I'd go.
If you can get the M1 ESP 0W-30 I'd consider that. You may want to contact Mobil to see if they will back its use for VW 507 00 applications.

Too bad the VW 507.00 approved Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 isn't available in NA as it would be a great choice with its 204 VI and low KV40 of 58.7cSt for a HTHSV 3.5cP oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Too bad the VW 507.00 approved Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 isn't available

Internet references seem to point to this oil "soon" to attain official 507.00 rating: Pennzoil Platinum Euro L SAE 0W30 (The first 0W30). And yet I can find no TDS for it.
_

The PP Euro 0W-30 isn't available in NA anyways
so it's academic.

Just interested in seeing the TDS #s...see how it compares to that Shell Helix for example.

Of the likely available oils M1 ESP 0W-30 would be my choice.

I see the well regarded the ESP 5W30 in retail but never the 0W30.

M1 ESP 0W-30 is on the CDN Mobil website so presumably it's available being spec'd for BMW and Mercedes clean diesels. So the question I would want an answer to from Mobil would be if it can be used in VW 507.00 applications without warranty issues. At the very least the answer souod be of interest.

I'm shocked! LOL!

That said, I agree to maximize performance especially cold starting, choosing an oil with the highest VI is the way I'd go.

Hello!

I don´t know if they are available in North America, but here´s a list of oils 507.00, with VI around 170 or higher:

- Shell Helix Ultra VX 5W-30 (VI=178);
- Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 (VI=175);
- Shell Helix Diesel Ultra Extra 5W-30 (VI=170);
- BP Visco 7000 Long Life III 5W-30 (VI=169);
- Castrol Edge 5W-30 (VI=169).

Regards.

Last edited:

Too bad the VW 507.00 approved Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 isn't available in NA as it would be a great choice with its 204 VI and low KV40 of 58.7cSt for a HTHSV 3.5cP oil.

Good news!
It looks like we are going to be getting this GTL oil labelled in NA as PP Euro LX 0W-30:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...04.#Post3675646

The only negative that I can see will be that it will be relatively expensive, $13-$15/qt from what I've gleaned from one Cdn Shell distributor.

Originally Posted By: Blasar
but here´s a list of oils 507.00, with VI around 170 or higher:

- Shell Helix Ultra VX 5W-30 (VI=178);
- Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 (VI=175);
- Shell Helix Diesel Ultra Extra 5W-30 (VI=170);
- BP Visco 7000 Long Life III 5W-30 (VI=169);
- Castrol Edge 5W-30 (VI=169).

Not sure about the others, but the LiquiMoly is readily available at the online TDI parts stores such as BoraParts (CascadeAutoParts) and IDParts. I think most Napa stores carry LM also or can get it next-day from the local warehouse.

I think the Castro Edge that is 507.00 certified is Edge Pro LL03 available at VAG dealerships.

Originally Posted By: Doug051
I have a 2010 JSW and it has only seen Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 since factory fill. I live in Wisconsin and as you may know, winters here are brutal. No problems starting even on the most fridged morning of -20 F below. Mobil 1 ESP 5W40 meets Mercedes Benz 229.51 spec, which is what they use for their diesels. If its good enough for a Mercedes Benz, it should be good for a VW TDI. I also like the fact that its on sale at least 3 times a year at my local NAPA.

Same here, unfortunately Mobil has discontinued the ESP 5w-40 and replaced it with the 0w-30 which seems to be to be way too thin for a diesel application. I am casting about now for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back