``5000 miles per oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your driving habits.

Do you commute to Vancouver every day or do you stay in Surrey? Long or short trips?

If your trips are 20 minutes or longer you could go 8000 km with a very good dino oil like Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme. If I were you I would only do this if an oil analysis proves that the oil is fine for this interval.

It would be much better if you use a good synthetic oil like Amsoil ASL 5W-30 or Mobil 1 5W-30. With any of these you are completely safe going 5k miles or 8000 kilometers. I prefer Amsoil because of its higher viscosity, Mobil 1 is a little on the thin side for a 5W-30.

Pablo, one of our Amsoil dealers on this board could probably provide you with Amsoil products. He lives in Lynden, Washington, less than an hour from Surrey. You order would be shipped from the Edmonton, Alberta warehouse.

Mobil 1 is available everywhere. Walmart usually has the best price.

highmiler pretty much summed it up.

I would have a problem with a few dino oils (some store brands) going 5K miles. But the newer, beefier ones are OK. Also as mentioned the real synthetics and Scheafer's blend could do that interval, no problem. Don't waste your time with other "syn-blends".

I can't profess to know that engine, what vis does the manual ask for?

I have an 03 with the 4.0l. It calls for 5w30, one of only a couple Ford products that don't call for 5w20. I am about to hit 5000 miles and going to switch to M1 5w30 @ 5000 mile changes. Up to this point I used Castrol 5w30 @ 3000 mile changes. From what I've read 5k OCI should be easy with M1 5w30 and no UOAs. I may do a UOA every 15-20k just to make sure no gas/antifreeze/etc problems have cropped up while I'm under warranty.

rockyy,

Justt wantedd too ensuree youu feell
welcome.gif

[ September 17, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back