5 years 8 months on stock battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just go ahead and get a new one. Costco has, from internet research I've done, one of the best batteries out there for the money. For about $85 you'll get a battery that would cost you well over $100 at other stores. Kirkland brand (made by a major battery maker) is top notch with higher than average CCA'a and a decent reserve capacity. I'll be getting one very soon for my Mercury Grand Marquis. It's an '04 with the original Motorcraft battery (nearing the end of it's life and I'm taking a couple of long road trips this winter).

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Why not change it?
Sure, you nay get another year out of it - maybe a bit more.
A classic case of preventative maintenance.

I'm replacing my wife's in her '06 VW before winter. No problems starting right now but last winter was slow turning over compared to previous winters. I don't want to risk it as I have a feeling its on its last leg as far as sub-teens temps.

Remember gear reduction starters don't draw the amps the old direct drive ones used to. When you start noticing a sluggish battery it's further along the road to death's door, and steeper on the curve too.

I get just over two years out of my batteries....if I'm lucky.

We've had the PT since mid-'05. It's on it's 4th group 26. I went through 2 in 6 months. The charging system is fine. The turbo clown hearse just cooks them to death.

If you have a sealed top battery, the only diagnostic will be a load test. If you are a AAA member, they have a mobile tester that will check the battery, starter draw, charging system, and key-off drain.
Personally, I'd get a new battery and consider yourself lucky that you got 60some months instead of the normal 42 months. If you do it yourself, be sure to use a memory-saver. Don't let the positive ground out while the memory-saver is installed. Be sure to inspect the terminals (if side terminals, pry back the plastic boot and check that there's no corrosion at the cable connection) and cable. Clean with baking soda and water. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND HAND PROTECTION WHEN WORKING AROUND BATTERIES!!!!

When batteries tend to get a bit weak you can hear it when you start the car, although sometimes they do fail all together.

I usually get 6-7 years, although on my diesel Mercedes I replaced them every 5 because those cars need strong batteries to start in the winter.

UPDATE:

Still on my OEM battery. 06 5.3 Silverado.

7 years 4 months!

I'm going for an extended BCI

I dunno, but I may have a record. My '03 Ram 2500 w/Cummins went 9years 11 months on the OE batteries. I tried to nurse it the extra month to see if I could go ten years, but it was not to be.

Mike

I tend to get 5 years out of my batteries. I never use accessories with the car off.

I don't stress it much, I have a nice booster pac in the trunk should my battery die.

I just had to replace the battery in MY 2004 LeSabre. (See sig line) I have owned the car for 8 years, 11 months. I got a Interstate battery, Group 100, for $ 159 installed. Tried to buy a AC Delco battery. Could not get one until Tuesday. Needed the battery on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back