5.7 Hemi Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess it is time to pull the stock plugs and replace them with new ones, these only have 236,000 miles on them
laugh.gif

What plugs do you guys recommend I go back with? What is the stock plug in a 08 dodge ram 1500 hemi?

What is the typical change interval for these? Are the factory plugs copper or something else?

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with 40k miles on it. At around 15k miles the dealership told him he needed to replace the plugs.

Originally Posted By: MoonShineBandit
Guess it is time to pull the stock plugs and replace them with new ones, these only have 236,000 miles on them
laugh.gif

What plugs do you guys recommend I go back with? What is the stock plug in a 08 dodge ram 1500 hemi?

Why not stick with the ones that went 236K.

Originally Posted By: Trav
laugh.gif

That is just too easy.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
What is the typical change interval for these? Are the factory plugs copper or something else?

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with 40k miles on it. At around 15k miles the dealership told him he needed to replace the plugs.

I thought they were copper. Sounds like your dad's GC does if they want to change it so early.

I would replace the plugs with the ones that were in it. I always go OEM plugs everytime.

I'm pretty sure the change interval for that is 30,000 miles. The plugs should be copper and go with whatever model is on the emissions sticker under the hood as that's going to allow the engine to operate as designed.

Originally Posted By: Trav
laugh.gif

+1!! Pull an easy one out and have a look.

It sounds like the stock ones are pretty darn good. Change them more often than 236k miles, though. 100k should be OK.

Most All plugs are "copper" cored like your quarter dollar. The difference is in the GND electrode and the centre electrode metal "alloy". STD sparkers are usually Inconel or Monel or even CU cored Nickel. The up option for long life is typically Iridium or double platinum. These are usullay found as "pills" or short wires just at the electrode tips to thwart erosion.

CAUTION: You are possibly going to be dropping some crusty earth metal deposit chunks, etc - e.g: Ca, Mg, Mn, Na, Bo, Mo - onto the piston tops when pulling out those old crusty plugs. I hope the Rings take well to this - yikes!

Last edited:

Why would the dealership recommend changing them 15,000 miles earlier than the owner's manual requires?

Originally Posted By: Danno

Why would the dealership recommend changing them 15,000 miles earlier than the owner's manual requires?

$$$

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

$$$
It's a "profit center".

$$$

Well it's a dealer so that would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Originally Posted By: another Todd

$$$

Well it's a dealer so that would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I was quoted 800 bucks for a plug change with cheap copper tips.
And it took me just over 8 hours to change mine. The rear ones are a nightmare.

Since my 2010 is a company truck, I let the dealer replace them every 30k as per the owners manual. The service adviser (I didn't say I believe him) says putting the plats or iridiums in the trucks that weren't designed for it causes rough running and codes. The plugs that come out of it at 30k look brand new though. If it was mine, I'd put the iridiums in it and would see what happens.

Since my 05 6.1 Hemi shipped with NGK plat/iridium hybrids that specify a 105k mile service interval it's an easy choice. The 5.7 has an identical ignition system.

Switch to the exotic metal plugs and be done with it for a LONG time...

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Since my 2010 is a company truck, I let the dealer replace them every 30k as per the owners manual. The service adviser (I didn't say I believe him) says putting the plats or iridiums in the trucks that weren't designed for it causes rough running and codes. The plugs that come out of it at 30k look brand new though. If it was mine, I'd put the iridiums in it and would see what happens.

I've heard the same thing. I heard mds and vvt doesn't work with thicker oil too.
Which is nonsense.
I've had E3 plugs in mine for 30000 miles so far. No codes and definitely not rough running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back