4T65E Easy Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

Well, my 1999 Grand Prix got zapped recently, so I grabbed a 2007 replacement for my daily drive. This edition is at 95k with little, if no, PM having been performed on it.

As I have been working my way through fluid & filter changes, I've transitioned over to MaxLife ATF and a bottle of Lubegard Red in the 4T65E transmission. (The prior fluid looked horrid!)

In a few weeks I will probably do an ATF flush (DIY or machine style hasn't been decided yet). My question however pertains to what else I could do in the trans while I have the pan off. It's my understanding that some of the vitals are difficult to access from just a pan drop so I just need to focus on those things that are readily accessible. Are there any upgrade "kits" that I could install while the pan is off?

Some characteristics I think may need attention focus on 1st gear, with a 1-2 transition being rather noticeable and the release after slowing to a stop being on the shuddery side too. Dunno if those things will just go away with better fluid maintenance and LG Red working on things for awhile, or if there is a mechanical issue that needs attention.

Look it up on rockauto or in a good shop manual (or Haynes, Chilton from a public library....) and see if that transmission has "bands" that need to be adjusted....you could go on a whim and simply "replace" the bands....BUT, with only 95k on the clock...? I don't think you need anything extreme done here....? I'd just go for thorough fluid changes, don't forget to change the magnetic filter and pan gasket....don't try "re-using" the old one lol.

I bet fluid will help you. The pans come off easily. Keep the stock gasket, not the cheezy one from the kit, if you can at all help it.

http://www.zzperformance.com/
Some good cheap upgrades you can do during he change that can be found here.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/New_Home_Page.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 4T65E.

I have had a couple of 13 second supercharged 4T65E cars and based off my experience, the other 12 and 13 second cars I know and the couple of Regal/Grand Prix boards I go to I can tell you the 4T65E does not like additives. It really likes Dexron VI or the previous gen of Dexron.

The new fluid should be given a few hundred miles to do its thing.

IIRC the TransGo shift kit that worked wonders in the 97-03 4T65's won't work in the 2003.5 and up 4T65's.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The new fluid should be given a few hundred miles to do its thing.

IIRC the TransGo shift kit that worked wonders in the 97-03 4T65's won't work in the 2003.5 and up 4T65's.

It shouldn't need it. The later ones had a bunch of updates.

I seem to recall that the MaxLife was kind of Dex-VI like, and so far has been working out alright with about 200 miles on the first fluid replacement. I used the extractor so I'll need a couple more extractions to get close to a full fluid exchange, that is if I don't do the full flush. I shouldn't rush to judgement on the changes wrought by the ATF so we'll see how that develops over time.

Glad to have discovered that the Transgo won't do anything for the 2007 - had thought about pursuing that option on my 1999 - but now a moot point.

One auto trans I had was also sticky on the 1-2 shift; a shift kit and new fluid fixed it up right away. On the shift kit, don't know if your design is the same but it's worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: RnR

Some characteristics I think may need attention focus on 1st gear, with a 1-2 transition being rather noticeable and the release after slowing to a stop being on the shuddery side too. Dunno if those things will just go away with better fluid maintenance and LG Red working on things for awhile, or if there is a mechanical issue that needs attention.

I wouldn't change it out so quick to change it out. Try disconnect the battery overnight and drive the car normally for about 100 miles to see if that helps. Otherwise just leave that fluid in there at least a year. Changing it over and over can cause more harm then good.

Quote:
have had a couple of 13 second supercharged 4T65E cars and based off my experience, the other 12 and 13 second cars I know and the couple of Regal/Grand Prix boards I go to I can tell you the 4T65E does not like additives. It really likes Dexron VI or the previous gen of Dexron.

The Supercharged cars use the 4T65E-HD unit which is much stronger right from the get go.
12 second cars need a lot more than just a HD unit to live a long and happy life, single chain, hardened input shaft and other heavy internals are a must at this level.
Quote:
I can tell you the 4T65E does not like additives.

You mention triple edge performance, have you asked Dave himself about Lubeguard red? The stuff works great in these units, my GTP with full modded HD single chain unit works perfectly with it.
+1 on the Dexron VI, Maxlife and Amsoil also work very well with these units.
I have used Lubeguard in dozens of the units over the years in both HD and non HD and have seen good results from it.
Originally Posted By: schiphi

The accumulator is the same and is a good upgrade in these units.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
It shouldn't need it. The later ones had a bunch of updates.

The biggest upgrades was the hardened 4th gear input shaft and ratcheting input and 3rd gear sprag other than that only minor electronic changes were made.
The accumulator remained unchanged and benefits from the shift mod.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Keep the stock gasket, not the cheezy one from the kit

Yes the original is good for at least 3-4 uses and is superior to the ones found in kits.
NAPA sells a U.S. made Wix filter for these units without the gasket at a good price.

Here is a good pictorial of the accumulator mod.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfor...atch-movie.html

Another thread that maybe of interest.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2389528&page=1hat may be of interest.

That is different than what I have been told and seen with the lubeguard. I haven't used it in any of my units, neither do the guys I race with or my Tranny guy who, is really the best around here and has dozens of trannies around here running the 10-13's. 4L80Es, 4L60Es, 4T65Es etc.
I guess eveyrone may have different experiences with the stuff. I just don't like additives.

I realize the V8 and Supercharged cars get the HD. Didn't really think I need to clarify as he has the regular duty one.

I thought the line pressure was different in the later years and shift kit didn't make much of a difference.

I stand corrected! Since the accumulator is the same, go for the TransGo! It made a nice difference in my transmission.

Quote:
realize the V8 and Supercharged cars get the HD. Didn't really think I need to clarify as he has the regular duty one.

I just wondered why the comments about the cars that use the HD units when he has the non HD.
If you don't like it and don't use it that's fine but many people do and many re builders swear by the stuff.
Drag racing puts different kinds of strain on the units internals than regular driving and lubeguard probably wouldn't help much in those situations.

Line pressure is the same, starting in 2000 there were some valve body changes, in 2003 a new style better quality PCS was used but it did not change the pressure.
244-289 psi@1400 RPM 0 amp down to 67-78 psi@ 1.1 amp.

I thought the stock peak torque rating on a GTP was the max torque rating on the trans it came with? I had a lightly modified (u-bend delete, pulley, intake, 3" midpipe before the duals split off) '97 GTP and I added a humongous trans cooler just to be safe. I still didn't trust it and ended up trading it in less than 6 months later...

The HD transmission was designed to handle the stock GTP HP and torque but didn't hold up well till 03 and later. The previous versions both HD and non HD had some really weak components.
The GTP could easily be tuned to a point that would over power and obliterate the tranny in short order e.g a turbocharger unit, the good news is a HD rebuild with stronger internals is easy to do that will hold up well.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The HD transmission was designed to handle the stock GTP HP and torque but didn't hold up well till 03 and later. The previous versions both HD and non HD had some really weak components.
The GTP could easily be tuned to a point that would over power and obliterate the tranny in short order e.g a turbocharger unit, the good news is a HD rebuild with stronger internals is easy to do that will hold up well.

That is what I had done to the Buick and Previous GTP.

e.g a turbocharger unit
I had no idea that you could turbocharge an already supercharged engine...seems weird

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
e.g a turbocharger unit
I had no idea that you could turbocharge an already supercharged engine...seems weird

Yep, it can be done. Supercharger for low/mid-range torque, then a big turbo for high-end horsepower. IIRC VW is doing this with one of their small engines now.

Some guys also gutted their superchargers to run a turbo setup. When there's a will, there's a way.

Quote:
That is what I had done to the Buick and Previous GTP

These were awesome cars with just a little tuning.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Some guys also gutted their superchargers to run a turbo setup.

I see some kits are offered with a block of plate for the snout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back