4Runner and Towing, 0-20 or 0-30?

Originally Posted by jqgz
Do you have a temp gauge for oil and/or trans? These are important to monitor in addition to coolant temp. Also, how fast do you run on these grades? Huge difference in energy required to go 60 vs 70. If you can tolerate going a hair slower on inclines then your need for a thicker oil becomes less likely.

Have you had the pleasure of driving behind a pull behind camper or a RV on a winding mountain road?

Hammer down!

Originally Posted by jqgz
Do you have a temp gauge for oil and/or trans? These are important to monitor in addition to coolant temp. Also, how fast do you run on these grades? Huge difference in energy required to go 60 vs 70. If you can tolerate going a hair slower on inclines then your need for a thicker oil becomes less likely.

Tranny temp, engine temp through Maestro + ODBII . Speed, LOL! A 6 cyl 4runner towing uphill is an uphill battle. My goal is to keep it moving and not be a road hazard.

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
I'd think about changing the oil in the transmission after any long tow in a 4Runner.

Agree. More frequent ATF changes.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I'd think about changing the oil in the transmission after any long tow in a 4Runner.

Well according to Toyota the trans fluid is "Lifetime " fluid . It is a sealed system, not even a dipstick, that DYI is very difficult to do. Still, most recommend taking to dealer every 100K to flush and refill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zonzin
Originally Posted by Gebo

Well according to Toyota the trans fluid is "Lifetime " fluid . It is a sealed system, not even a dipstick, that DYI is very difficult to do. Still, most recommend taking to dealer every 100K to flush and refill.

You can do a drain and refill periodically. Just drain the pan, measure how much drained and refill the transmission with the drained volume. There are plenty of you tube tutorials for the 4 runner DYI maintenance.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Your owners manual will state a higher viscosity may be better suited for this driving condition. I would accept that hint.

what Bryan said. OW-20 will likely be fine for lighter work but the manual makes it clear you can, and should go up to a higher viscosity for hard use. On page 465, their words are "A higher oil viscosity may be better suited for if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions." I take that to mean high RPM (high cruise speeds, or high RPM climbs) or heavy grades (high constant load) which combined together would drive up oil temps and a thicker oil would hold up better. doubly so if you're operating at high ambient temps.

On page 466 in the manual, they also use nebulous language for allowing the exact same trucks in "Puerto Rico" to use up to a 15W-40...there's nothing different about operating there compared to the US, so I have a feeling its some kind of CAFE workaround language. in FJ Cruisers (same driveline as a 4runner) sold abroad, they recommend the same viscosity range.

I currently run Quaker State Ultra Durable 5W-30 in my '19 TRD Off Road, and have Rotella Gas Truck of the same viscosity ready for the next change. runs like silk with that viscosity and our highway mileage is essentially the same as the factory 20mpg. i'll share those UOA's when i can actually get some miles on the thing...

Exactly like Scotty said, and I have nothing against 0w20, I am running it now in the 4 runner (RGT)as my wife has been driving it and it's use is decidedly suburban.
While using it in The mountains I ran Mobil 1 0w40 and that was without a trailer.

And as others have stated the oil selection is pretty simple and is spelled out in the owners manual if you continue reading past the first recomendation. The what viscosity is in the Puerto Rico section. They stopped putting that in the manuals in 2018..it was in my 2017's manual ( someone offered me significantly more than I paid for that TrD pro 4 runner so i no longer own it) that being said the 4 runner is a great platform.
For the transmission I would avoid letting it search. If it keeps up shifting only to downshift again on the same stretch select the lower gear and put the stress on the engine which you have selected an oil to meet the sustained higher load and rpms with. The torque converter will stay locked up in the lower gear (you may have to select 4th (1-1 ratio for mild or 3rd (underdrive)for extreme)and the transmission fluid will stay cooler without all the shifts. You can tell if the torque converter is locking by the rpm.you want it to lock up as much as possible.

Last edited:
Back