4L60E Fluid

From what I can tell plain licensed Dexron VI is kind of meh, the stuff that meets both Mercon LV and Dexron VI seems slighly superior to me seeing how the Dexron VI spec seems to allow for something like a brookfield viscosity of 13000cP at -40 while Mercon LV seems to be limited to around 10500cP, so the cold flow performance of Mercon LV seems more optimal than Dexron VI, Maxlife is only like 9000cP so that's pretty nice, but that's just one aspect of the fluid obviously,
This Dexron VI Mercon LV is the full synthetic version of Dexron VI?

So the AC Delco which is GM which just states Dexron VI is regular Dexron VI?.

Because at this point I actually called the dealership and they have the cheapest prices of Dexron VI around at $5.68 a quart while everywhere else is wanting upwards of $8.00 a quart. So I think I may just buy from the dealership.

I am not too worried about which Dexron VI is really superior I am mostly worried about compatibility with old fluid remaining in the transmission and if this stuff is going to take out my perfectly working transmission. I also would rather stick as close to what GM designed as possible rather then aftermarket variants.

This Dexron VI Mercon LV is the full synthetic version of Dexron VI?

So the AC Delco which is GM which just states Dexron VI is regular Dexron VI?.

Because at this point I actually called the dealership and they have the cheapest prices of Dexron VI around at $5.68 a quart while everywhere else is wanting upwards of $8.00 a quart. So I think I may just buy from the dealership.

I am not too worried about which Dexron VI is really superior I am mostly worried about compatibility with old fluid remaining in the transmission and if this stuff is going to take out my perfectly working transmission. I also would rather stick as close to what GM designed as possible rather then aftermarket variants.
Pennzoil LV can be had from Home Depot for around $4.68/qt it's dual licensed, and MAG1 which is dual licensed can be had for 3.68/qt at Rock Auto the shipping gets down to less than a buck a quart if you buy more than 10 or so.

Which this also leads me to question why is maxlife not licensed. And I just find it odd that this maxlife says it is compatible with fluids of which are not compatible with each other such as Toyota T-IV and Toyota WS.

O'reilly has their brand of Dexron VI but now something I am confused about is there seems to be 2 different Dexron VI, the original and a full synthetic so what is up with that.

Dexron VI calls for a semi-synthetic but if they do a full-synthetic, great! O'Reilly's Dexron VI will be fine. If you do a lot of towing, maybe spring for one of the full synthetic options out there... but don't get your panties in a wad about it. It's Dexron VI. It's a strict standard. Just make sure it's LICENSED and not "RECOMMENDED FOR".

i did a full flush in mine in my 03 silverado last may with maxlife dex vi synthetic ,which was the best price , i can deffinatly tell the difference between dex iii and vi, the iii smells sweet and is a nice pretty red , the vi smells strong , no sweetness at all , and is very dark red , transmission seems to run good , hope this helps

My '04 Trailblazer with a 4l60e transmission came factory filled with Dex iii. I've been putting whatever brand of Dex VI in it since its first drain and fill. At 210K miles, it is still running strong. I'm recommending put whatever Dex VI fluid in it you can find and all is well.

My '04 Trailblazer with a 4l60e transmission came factory filled with Dex iii. I've been putting whatever brand of Dex VI in it since its first drain and fill. At 210K miles, it is still running strong. I'm recommending put whatever Dex VI fluid in it you can find and all is well.
About what mileage did you do its first drain and fill?

"About what mileage did you do its first drain and fill?"

My drain and fills have been at 35k,63k,97k,124k,153k,and 192k.

That’s a good price.

Not sure where that deal was when I needed it last week. Ended up getting some from Rock Auto of all places. I think it was low $4’s per quart plus $12 shipping.
It’s been around … I have ordered it twice … but when you search it’s not some of the first top pop in … seems to be no pecking order on their site …

Dex/Merc, Dex VI, and /or Maxlife will work fine in your truck. I have a mix of all in my 04 Avalanche Z71 and it shifts like normal

Back